Efren Reyes Cup Announced!

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome. It'll be nice to watch an event in this format that's actually competitive.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome. This will be cracker. Long overdue. Will be close
Prize money $125K slightly less than MC $150K
Probably split $15K for each member of winning team and $10K each for losing team
3 countries from Europe and 4 from Asia. Organiser country UK gets 2 then remaining 3 split between Holland and Germany. For Asia, China being host country probably gets 2 while Taiwan, Philippines,Japan gets 1 each.
The players probably already chosen.
My guess of team lineup
EUROPE
Darren Appleton (UK)
Jayson Shaw (UK)
Niels Feijen (Holland)
Ralf Souquet (Germany)
Joshua Filler (Germany)
Team captain/coach -Marcus Chamat

ASIA
Wu (China)
Liu Haitao or Dang Jinghu (China)
Ko Pin Yi or Chang Jung Lin (Taiwan)
Dennis Orcullo or Biado or Lee Van or Johan Chua (Philippines)
Naoyuki Oi (Japan)
Team captain/coach-Efren? ( since this is his Cup)

JohnnyOzone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This match up should have at least 10 players per side. This could really be awesome if they expanded the format a little bit.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Asia would have to be heavy, heavy, favorites.

Slight favorites, imo. The top european players were right there with the asian guys. If you took the top 5 based on fargo-rate and the specific regions mentioned, the teams look like this:

ASIA
Wu - 817
Ko - 811
Dennis - 811
Chang - 809
Biado - 804

EUROPE
Shaw - 816
Neils - 805
Filler - 797
Gray - 791
Appleton - 791

Based on this they'd probably be like 6/5 favorites or even less, I'd imagine...

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Birlliant strategy to announce during a thrashing at this MC because it will fuel interest in a more close matchup!

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Slight favorites, imo. The top european players were right there with the asian guys. If you took the top 5 based on fargo-rate and the specific regions mentioned, the teams look like this:

ASIA
Wu - 817
Ko - 811
Dennis - 811
Chang - 809
Biado - 804

EUROPE
Shaw - 816
Neils - 805
Filler - 797
Gray - 791
Appleton - 791

Based on this they'd probably be like 6/5 favorites or even less, I'd imagine...

It seems they select from total 7 countries only in this first cup. Your top Fargo list for Asia excludes Japan which is one of the selected countries to be accommodated. Naoyuki Oi 782 will probably replace Biado if they follow Fargo rate so will be even closer.
If factor in that Europe is already well oiled winning confident MC team and Asia playing as team for first time , it may be pretty even .

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool... and only a matter of time.

Of course this will make Europe even harder for the Americans to beat as they will get double the experience in this format.

pmac666

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

ASIA
Wu - 817
Ko - 811
Dennis - 811
Chang - 809
Biado - 804

EUROPE
Shaw - 816
Neils - 805
Filler - 797
Gray - 791
Appleton - 791

sounds around the gap fargo predicts for mosconi year for year.....we all know the outcome lol

great event tho......surely more tension involved then in mosconi!

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO I don't think this is an actual 'announcement'.
It looks for like Matchroom have a 'concept' and have it in their portfolio touting for potential sponsors.

Getting sponsors won’t be an issue for this, Chinese regions are happy to host snooker tournaments with multiples of that prize money and don’t always sell loads of tickets (which this will), plus Matchroom must have good relationships with the poker/betting sites already.

Also if you click the link they have all the details up so I think it’s going to happen.

GB Basher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting sponsors won’t be an issue for this, Chinese regions are happy to host snooker tournaments with multiples of that prize money and don’t always sell loads of tickets (which this will), plus Matchroom must have good relationships with the poker/betting sites already.

Also if you click the link they have all the details up so I think it’s going to happen.

Why do you think there wasn't one in 2017?

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do you think there wasn't one in 2017?

They talked about the idea, but couldn’t get it organised in time I thought?

Didn’t they mention it at the last Mosconi Cup but talked about the schedule being to full?

Also aren’t Rasson tables Chinese? Can’t see them passing up a chance to get huge TV coverage in their home market, if imagine they would be able to drum up some support if all else failed anyway!

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this is going to become a similar event as the Mosconi Cup, this will be a heavy blow for US pool.
European pros will get another nice pay day, which will make their life as a pro much easier. Overall competition and standard will rise even more as many players want to qualify for both the Mosconi and the Reyes Cup.

MatchroomPool

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
100% correct GB Basher.It has been cut and pasted from our TV Sales Catalogue which goes out to clients in the TV industry.