Revo Revo revo, part 2

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last thread i was told i could not make a carbon fiber shaft. I dont remember who said that, but im sure he remembers putting me in my place.
Now that ive got that out of my system, here is what i have.
Carbon fiber shaft, 29 inch, 3.7 oz, 12.75 mm to 12.95 mm taper in the first 15 inches, then up to .85 inch. It is straight but i am not happy with the taper and will try to make it better, also there is some discoloration i dont understand.
I will drill and tap to fit a 3/8 by 10 pin, install s.i.b. medium hard tip. Put it on my butt and hit some balls next week. It may explode, play like crap, or i might even make a ball or two. i dont know, but i will find out.
Code:

Attachments

• 20180321_172811.jpg
    20180321_172811.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 830
  • 20180321_172915.jpg
    20180321_172915.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 834
  • 20180321_173002.jpg
    20180321_173002.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 826

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
Looks neat with the wowen carbon fiber. Obviously it's a different technology than that of Predator, but still doesn't mean it won't be good. There is of course the matter of the coating, which tends to be quite sticky on these types of finished-over woven CF. If you use a glove it won't be an issue, obviously.

I think the number one problem with carbon fiber shafts is their tendency to have a "plasticky" hit. You can even feel this in some of the cf/wood hybrid type shafts. I think the biggest feat of the Revo is actually having a somewhat acceptable hit, yet still a bit deader than some will prefer. It will be interesting to see what your shafts hit like (from your perspective).

What is the mass like on this shaft? Does it weigh a lot, does it have much mass towards the tip-end?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If this guy ever says, “hold my beer,” I will be the first person to reach for it because I’m thinking he can do just about anything and I want to see how it turns out.

gregoryda

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, how impressive! It's has a different look in the tapered area, the weave isn't as apparent in the photograph, and the pro taper looks like it's about 19" long (maybe just he camera angle). Let us know how it hits. Hell of a job, congrats!

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Looks neat with the wowen carbon fiber. Obviously it's a different technology than that of Predator, but still doesn't mean it won't be good. There is of course the matter of the coating, which tends to be quite sticky on these types of finished-over woven CF. If you use a glove it won't be an issue, obviously.

I think the number one problem with carbon fiber shafts is their tendency to have a "plasticky" hit. You can even feel this in some of the cf/wood hybrid type shafts. I think the biggest feat of the Revo is actually having a somewhat acceptable hit, yet still a bit deader than some will prefer. It will be interesting to see what your shafts hit like (from your perspective).

What is the mass like on this shaft? Does it weigh a lot, does it have much mass towards the tip-end?

Ceramic nano coatings should resolve tak/glide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There ya go!:thumbup:

Getting a non-stiction durable finish will be key. But at least you can hit with it and see how it feels and plays.

Obviously not the level of technology and development as Revo and Becue, but I bet with some tuning of the work you can make a seriously viable shaft.

I'll look forward to hearing how it plays.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Salamander

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't you have to hollow out the business end of that shaft and then fill with foam to approach the low deflection properties of the revo?

vsmavs23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By technology you mean hollow it out and fill it with foam and sell for more than a solid cue? Hahaha just jk I know everyone has different strokes but I just thought the revo hit like an upgraded cuetec that was just my opinion. Chuck seems to get crafty I saw he made a Bacote shaft which got me interested lol.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
By technology you mean hollow it out and fill it with foam and sell for more than a solid cue? Hahaha just jk I know everyone has different strokes but I just thought the revo hit like an upgraded cuetec that was just my opinion. Chuck seems to get crafty I saw he made a Bacote shaft which got me interested lol.

I mentioned the technology, if you are referring to my post, no, that is not what I meant.

I was speaking of the method/type of CF construction itself, which is quite different from this.

In any case I am interested in what he is doing and it has nothing to do with any affinity for synthetic shafts. I have no love for them. Most of the cues I dig are at least 40 years old anyway.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just going by the pic the tube wall at the tip-end looks VERY thick. The Revo is filament-wound on a mandrel and is much thinner than this. Just guessing here but i predict this shaft may have a very dead feel to it. You don't need that much mass/rigidity for hitting a pool ball. Golf shaft walls thicken at the tip but there you're dealing with extremely high forces from the swing speeds involved. Very nice work and am curious how this thing hits. Good job.

Pangit

Banned
If this guy ever says, “hold my beer,” I will be the first person to reach for it because I’m thinking he can do just about anything and I want to see how it turns out.

I agree, Desi is the best. I've always wanted one of his ferrule-less cues but I'm set in my ways and accustomed to my old bird's eye maple shaft on my Dayton cue.

Gotta luv an old dog learning new tricks though.
:clapping:

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you did an awesome job. Be sure to keep us up to date.

With the popularity and price point of those type shafts, you may be on to something worthwhile with some trial and error.

Props Sir,

Rake

desi2960

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 2

I dont know how thick revo walls are and dont care. Im not trying to copy their shaft. I am making my own just because i was told im behind the times, im old, a dinasour, and i could not build a carbon fiber shaft.
Wrong.
I can and did build a carbon fiber shaft.
I put it on a full splice butt and hit a few balls this morning. It plays good without the so called twang of other shafts. I can move the ball with ease and english no problem. It is however butt ugly. Im taking it to my local tournament and let people use and get their opinion.

To use to play with, i personally would not trade one of my old recycled house cue no ferrule shafts for a 1/2 dozen carbon fiber shafts.

More as i spend more time with the shaft.

Attachments

• 20180322_112330.jpg
    20180322_112330.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 268
  • 20180322_112512.jpg
    20180322_112512.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 265