DARREN APPLETON A tribute

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Befoe we enter another period of high activity I would like to slow thing down a little and take time to acknowledge the achievements of
DARREN APPLETON
I have known the man for almost 20 years but our paths rarely crossed. During most of that time he performed with great success as an English 8 Ball player taking almost every title of that genre had to offer. I was concentrating on 9 Ball and with a year round season of around 30 events there was no need to be a multi discipline pool player.
But a growing resentment towards the people behind the bar table events resulted in an appearance or two at my 9 Ball tournaments. Tommy Donlon and Lee Tucker were among the first to make the crossover permanently and both were soon among the 9 Ball front runners. Alan Mitchell and Andy Richardson were only marginally behind those two.
But a real shift began when we started running Qualifiers for the World 9 Ball Championship.
Darren headed a pack of 8 Ball players striving to make an impact on the big ball scene. For about the next five years the roster at the qualifiers saw Darren being joined by Phil Harrison, Mick Hill, Chris Melling, Pat Holtz, Tony Holgate and a motley band of others. For the most part they enjoyed their fair share of success at reaching stage two.
But I sensed that Darren was aiming higher and this was revealed when the World 9 Ball moved to Manila, so did Darren.
I would see him in One Side in the Wee Small Hours playing mostly cheap sets against Reyes, Alcano and Orcullo (with a couple of longer ones occasionally thrown in). But Darren didn’t mind. Because he was Learning
His capacity for hard work was incomparable to any other player. Even Shane’s practice time figures pale into insignificance.
This work ethic has brought him success with enough titles to fill a skip with the trophies from them.
World 9 Ball, World 10 Ball, US Open would leave no doubt that he is currently the best international player on the scene today.
On a personal note Darren came into my world with a lot of baggage and continued to build on it for a little longer. He was not a person whose company I would seek socially. But as he buckled down to the challenge it matured him and noticeably so. He became more ‘public friendly’ and he seemed to realise the value of good public relations. Despite having to deal with a serious speech impediment he has virtually overcome it to become a master communicator. He also had a heap of relationship problems to deal with over the years. But they all disappeared the day that Angie Tan walked into his life. Now happily wed to this oriental beauty he has set up home in the USA and now seems happy as a pig in shit. While 4000 miles away he has a supportive family headed by his biggest fan in Daddy Apps AKA Tony.
I now have total respect for what he has achieved and I have no doubt that he will continue to be a major influence on the game both on and off the table for many years ahead.
Doug Gordon

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
Wow Doug. This was a heckuva read and such a wonderful thing for you to take the time to write this! :)

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Darren is a true champion for sure and I respect the fact that he will stop by AZ from time to time, even though he just ends up having to fend off a barrage of trolls everytime.

Just one thing though, Darren has great respect for Shane and even said himself in TAR's 10 Questions segment that he would be an even better player if he had Shane's work ethic.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would anyone with knowledge share experiences of Darren playing big money games in the Philipines.
Would be nice to hear about a brit converted from english8ball beating the filipino bigs like orcollo reyes alcano .

How did he fare against em ?

Previously heard that he was the money game king back in Uk where he be spotting anyone 8 racks in a race to 30 n nobody has beaten him yet.
However also heard his backer lost alot in New York because he gave up too big a spot .

Anyone ?

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Befoe we enter another period of high activity I would like to slow thing down a little and take time to acknowledge the achievements of
DARREN APPLETON
I have known the man for almost 20 years but our paths rarely crossed. During most of that time he performed with great success as an English 8 Ball player taking almost every title of that genre had to offer. I was concentrating on 9 Ball and with a year round season of around 30 events there was no need to be a multi discipline pool player.
But a growing resentment towards the people behind the bar table events resulted in an appearance or two at my 9 Ball tournaments. Tommy Donlon and Lee Tucker were among the first to make the crossover permanently and both were soon among the 9 Ball front runners. Alan Mitchell and Andy Richardson were only marginally behind those two.
But a real shift began when we started running Qualifiers for the World 9 Ball Championship.
Darren headed a pack of 8 Ball players striving to make an impact on the big ball scene. For about the next five years the roster at the qualifiers saw Darren being joined by Phil Harrison, Mick Hill, Chris Melling, Pat Holtz, Tony Holgate and a motley band of others. For the most part they enjoyed their fair share of success at reaching stage two.
But I sensed that Darren was aiming higher and this was revealed when the World 9 Ball moved to Manila, so did Darren.
I would see him in One Side in the Wee Small Hours playing mostly cheap sets against Reyes, Alcano and Orcullo (with a couple of longer ones occasionally thrown in). But Darren didn’t mind. Because he was Learning
His capacity for hard work was incomparable to any other player. Even Shane’s practice time figures pale into insignificance.
This work ethic has brought him success with enough titles to fill a skip with the trophies from them.
World 9 Ball, World 10 Ball, US Open would leave no doubt that he is currently the best international player on the scene today.
On a personal note Darren came into my world with a lot of baggage and continued to build on it for a little longer. He was not a person whose company I would seek socially. But as he buckled down to the challenge it matured him and noticeably so. He became more ‘public friendly’ and he seemed to realise the value of good public relations. Despite having to deal with a serious speech impediment he has virtually overcome it to become a master communicator. He also had a heap of relationship problems to deal with over the years. But they all disappeared the day that Angie Tan walked into his life. Now happily wed to this oriental beauty he has set up home in the USA and now seems happy as a pig in shit. While 4000 miles away he has a supportive family headed by his biggest fan in Daddy Apps AKA Tony.
I now have total respect for what he has achieved and I have no doubt that he will continue to be a major influence on the game both on and off the table for many years ahead.
Doug Gordon

One of the greatest to ever pick up a pool cue :thumbup:

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have known Darren myself for around 15 years myself, from the E8B scene in which I am involved in managing, and recognise much of what Doug has said as accurate.

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have known Darren myself for around 15 years myself, from the E8B scene in which I am involved in managing, and recognise much of what Doug has said as accurate.

How was he doing when he started the revolution fot Uk players like Karl Boyes who 's quite a highly ranked player on the world ranking amd Jayson Shaw.

Did he mentor Karl and Jayson who he sponsored in the US ?

Does he still get challenged to money games in the Uk ?

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How was he doing when he started the revolution fot Uk players like Karl Boyes who 's quite a highly ranked player on the world ranking amd Jayson Shaw.

I believe that the phenomenon that was One Side is now just a distant memory. Money matches are still played but without the fervor of The Noughties,
Darren's time in Manila was to learn at the altar of the grand masters, Money was secondary but I reckon that he came out ahead by the time that he finally left - taking only a few pesos but a truckload of KNOWLEDGE and EXPERIENCE.

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is he...

I read on here that he lives in the US. Is he a US citizen now? Truly a great pool player.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That is another thing about Mr Appleton - he gives a lot of time to his fellow players. Karl Boyes tore up the tracks at the IPT qualifiers a few years ago but would not have managed it without both the moral and financial support from Darren.
I don't think that Jayson Shaw received any of the latter but he got plenty of the former when he first came to the States.
The UK scene is not noted for Hustlers/ Gamblers/ Big Money Players and good as many British players are there is no overwhelming desire from them to enter The Money Pit with him. Possible contenders might be
KARL BOYES - now very much a family man would not be able to afford to lose the Diaper Fund Money.
CHRIS MELLING - He would be dissected bit by bit while Chris would be moaning that Darren didn't respect him enough to wear teeth to do it.
DARYL PEACH - He might have the game to test Darren but by the time he had counted and recounted the money and rechecked it the match would be all over.
MARK GRAY - 50 Shades are what he would need to wear before the sun would shine on him
JAYSON SHAW - One day soon maybe but I am shaw that Darren would give him Shell Shawk at the moment.
IMRAN MAJID - Would probably find the means but not the way to prevail if they met

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is another thing about Mr Appleton - he gives a lot of time to his fellow players. Karl Boyes tore up the tracks at the IPT qualifiers a few years ago but would not have managed it without both the moral and financial support from Darren.
I don't think that Jayson Shaw received any of the latter but he got plenty of the former when he first came to the States.
The UK scene is not noted for Hustlers/ Gamblers/ Big Money Players and good as many British players are there is no overwhelming desire from them to enter The Money Pit with him. Possible contenders might be
KARL BOYES - now very much a family man would not be able to afford to lose the Diaper Fund Money.
CHRIS MELLING - He would be dissected bit by bit while Chris would be moaning that Darren didn't respect him enough to wear teeth to do it.
DARYL PEACH - He might have the game to test Darren but by the time he had counted and recounted the money and rechecked it the match would be all over.
MARK GRAY - 50 Shades are what he would need to wear before the sun would shine on him
JAYSON SHAW - One day soon maybe but I am shaw that Darren would give him Shell Shawk at the moment.
IMRAN MAJID - Would probably find the means but not the way to prevail if they met

SHELL-SHAWKED Jayson Shaw ?!! Really ??

Darren once mention that Jayson is easily the most talented player currently and he should be winning world titles.

Are you saying that Darren will steamroll Jayson say playing a race to 30 9 ball ?
I'm really suprised !

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
Are you saying that Darren will steamroll Jayson say playing a race to 30 9 ball ?
I'm really suprised !

I think it would be very close. Darren's biggest strength in my opinion is his ability to just win. He plays with his emotions on his sleeve but most of the time he can battle through the tough times and maintain his high level. Jayson on the other hand is incredibly talented but when the going gets tough, sometimes he struggles taking the heat and goes quickly into give up stroke (with the exemption of when he played SVB race to 100)

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SHELL-SHAWKED Jayson Shaw ?!! Really ??

Darren once mention that Jayson is easily the most talented player currently and he should be winning world titles.

I'm really suprised !
Cesar My words are not carved in stone and it is only my opinion (although not a very humble one) that Jayson is not seasoned enough to take on Darren
But I assume that the day will dawn someday soon

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good stuff Doug!

I spent some time with the UK boys on the IPT, being one of the foreigners with an E8B background.

I could see then that Darren was very determined and confident that he could surpass most of the players once he became more familiar with the big balls and the game strategies.

I also tried out One Side on his recommendation, but more as a tourist than as an aspiring world beater.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Cesar My words are not carved in stone and it is only my opinion (although not a very humble one) that Jayson is not seasoned enough to take on Darren
But I assume that the day will dawn someday soon

I agree... Shaw's one hell of a sharpshooter when he is on his game, but Daz is no slouch in that department, either. When it comes to the mental game though, it's really no contest as Daz is far superior and that's where the match will be won or lost.

I remember reading this awesome interview from when he won the World 9-Ball and talks a lot about his mental game and the finals where he was up 11-3 and Li He Wen stormed back to make it hill-hill. Lots of great insight into the mindset of a champion:

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/index.asp?id=17&pagetype=event_news&eventid=134&eventnewsid=173

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

US style pool is virtually non-existent in the UK. Played by a few hundred players at the most seriously. There are plenty of big money matches on at E8B. Matches at the £20,000 level are common place and there are usually several on at the £50,000+ mark a year.

I don't recall Appleton receiving any challenges from the UK at any discipline.