Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page when is it time to accept you just dont have it
Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#76)
BeiberLvr
SJD's #1 Fan
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-04-2017, 10:01 AM

If you've been playing the game seriously for more than 5 years, and you don't have "it", Then you probably never will.

Sorry to be blunt, but it's the truth. Now that doesn't mean you should give up. Especially if you enjoy playing pool, and you certainly don't need to have "it" in order to derive enjoyment from this wonderful game.

It also doesn't mean that you'll stop improving. So to answer the original question...as soon as the game stops being fun.

Old
  (#77)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2017, 05:04 AM

A plateau in your game is rather a good time to take a lesson or series of lessons. It's not uncommon for a student to go up several levels after a quick adjustment of stance or aim, too!

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#78)
BeiberLvr
SJD's #1 Fan
BeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond reputeBeiberLvr has a reputation beyond repute

07-05-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilliardsAbout View Post
A plateau in your game is rather a good time to take a lesson or series of lessons. It's not uncommon for a student to go up several levels after a quick adjustment of stance or aim, too!
Sure, that can help.

But my point is that if a player doesn't have "it" after 5 years, then no amount of lessons is going to give him/her "it"

There's no such thing as the "pool gene". No one is born specifically to play this game, but there are a series of genes that favor games and sports that require spatial awareness, pattern recognition, and hand/eye coordination.

Old
  (#79)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

07-07-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeiberLvr View Post
Sure, that can help.

But my point is that if a player doesn't have "it" after 5 years, then no amount of lessons is going to give him/her "it"

There's no such thing as the "pool gene". No one is born specifically to play this game, but there are a series of genes that favor games and sports that require spatial awareness, pattern recognition, and hand/eye coordination.
I'm sure there's some truth to what you say about genes, but I don't think it's accurate to categorize someone as genetically unfit if they don't improve to the level they want after 5 years. In fact, maybe the OP's got all the right genes and his problem lies elsewhere. You don't really know what his issues are.

There are many variables that can be changed and can influence improvement, such as attitude.

For example: A player, while practicing, misses the same shot 3 times in a row and then becomes negative and discouraged. He does that repeatedly without realizing that he has been programming his sub-conscious mind to trigger a negative reaction when that happens, and as a result, gives up too quickly.

But with a little introspection, that player can be more aware and uncover these sub-conscious triggers, and then can start to eliminate them and improve his overall attitude towards the learning process.

That's just one example of a whole list of variables that can be changed in order to improve performance. An instructor who knows how to recognize patterns like this, can really help a player who has been stuck, to significantly improve. I know because I've done it with clients, and it works.

Each person you help is a puzzle that needs to be figured out, and no two people have exactly the same issues.

Been Verified. Supporter of responsible teaching. Background checks for instructors, especially those who teach kids.

Last edited by FranCrimi; 07-07-2017 at 07:02 AM.

Old
  (#80)
bbb
AzB Gold Member
bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

07-07-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
I'm sure there's some truth to what you say about genes, but I don't think it's accurate to categorize someone as genetically unfit if they don't improve to the level they want after 5 years. In fact, maybe the OP's got all the right genes and his problem lies elsewhere. You don't really know what his issues are.

There are many variables that can be changed and can influence improvement, such as attitude.

For example: A player, while practicing, misses the same shot 3 times in a row and then becomes negative and discouraged. He does that repeatedly without realizing that he has been programming his sub-conscious mind to trigger a negative reaction when that happens, and as a result, gives up too quickly.

But with a little introspection, that player can be more aware and uncover these sub-conscious triggers, and then can start to eliminate them and improve his overall attitude towards the learning process.

That's just one example of a whole list of variables that can be changed in order to improve performance. An instructor who knows how to recognize patterns like this, can really help a player who has been stuck, to significantly improve. I know because I've done it with clients, and it works.

Each person you help is a puzzle that needs to be figured out, and no two people have exactly the same issues.
great post Fran

Old
  (#81)
michael4
AzB Silver Member
michael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond repute

07-07-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeiberLvr View Post

If by "it" you mean a natural "gift" for playing pool, you are correct, lessons will never give you that. But they will likely make you better than you were, regardless of the level of natural talent you have.

Old
  (#82)
Dan White
AzB Silver Member
Dan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond reputeDan White has a reputation beyond repute

07-07-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
That is such a great point. It took me awhile to get over being frustrated by a miss and to treat that miss as an opportunity to improve my game by learning what happened, rather than just being upset. (Well, OK, I guess I still get upset, but that immediately turns into figuring out what went wrong).

Dan White

Old
  (#83)
BeiberLvr
SJD's #1 Fan

07-08-2017, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan White View Post
That is such a great point. It took me awhile to get over being frustrated by a miss and to treat that miss as an opportunity to improve my game by learning what happened, rather than just being upset. (Well, OK, I guess I still get upset, but that immediately turns into figuring out what went wrong).
It's the best way to look at things in all aspects of life. Not just pool.

Old
  (#84)
BeiberLvr
SJD's #1 Fan

07-08-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4 View Post
If by "it" you mean a natural "gift" for playing pool, you are correct, lessons will never give you that. But they will likely make you better than you were, regardless of the level of natural talent you have.
Of course lessons can be valuable to anyone.

I think there are a lot of players without that natural talent that take lessons and expect instant improvement. In reality, if you don't have any natural talent, then you are going to have to work much harder to improve your game.

The truth is that most of us on these forums don't have that natural talent. I'm not sure what the cap is for players like us. How good can we really get without that natural talent?

Page 6 of 6 « First 456

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: