Schon model designations

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schon has used a number of letters preceded by numbers as model designations. SL, LTD, CX, SP, etc. I suspect these may designate a time period when the cue was made, production quantity made, trim level???, etc. I have an SL-6 I bought back in the mid 90's and was trying to determine where it fit in terms of overall quality of the various models Schon produced over the years. I'm sure it's a production level cue and isn't a high end stick. Any thoughts to clarify the model designations would be great.
Thanks.

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Um...it's a Schon....does that not describe all of them? :smile:

Anyway, here is their own page about their model designations: http://www.schoncues.com/about/about-our-cues/

"it's a Schon....does that not describe all of them"? <-- I don't know, that was my question. Depending on when the cue was made and model designation, was higher quality production processes used, better quality woods used, etc. I'm certain a manufacturer will not publish that they have lowered production quality and or are now using lower quality materials.

I ask this because I am in the market for a used Schon and was curious if there was a model designation to target without getting into the high end stuff.

My interpretation of the site data would be that all their cues share the same quality and playability, at least cues currently in production, regardless of model or price point. So it would apprear, as you alluded to above, If you've played with one Schon, you've played with them all. :smile:

Thanks for the site link.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
"..., If you've played with one Schon, you've played with them all. :smile:

Thanks for the site link.

I'm not sure I'd go quite that far. My understanding is that the earlier cues tend to be better thought of in terms of quality. From what little I've seen here at least, there are a number of "Runde era" or "Runde cue" fans who feel that the quality went down after Bob left/retired.

To clarify a bit though - I believe that the "type" of cue construction changed a bit when Bob "un-retired", and the very few he makes now aren't quite the same as when he owned Schon.

(note: I'm certainly no professional, so forgive me if I'm wrong here. This is just my understanding through things I've read.)

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
It's a long story. However, all Era Schon cues are as good as what you want to call a production cue. Success has its negatives.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am about to pull the trigger on a Schon STL-8. I already have one Schon that I play some with. Not sure what will come after this Schon. Maybe another Chad Carter Custom?

Speaking of Chad, I need to touch bases with him, haven't been to Owensboro in over a year now. Last time was when me and Nick hit the balls around some.

r/Mike

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I am about to pull the trigger on a Schon STL-8. I already have one Schon that I play some with. Not sure what will come after this Schon. Maybe another Chad Carter Custom?

Speaking of Chad, I need to touch bases with him, haven't been to Owensboro in over a year now. Last time was when me and Nick hit the balls around some.

r/Mike

Not a bad idea
While in Owensboro you can order a new Dennis Swift case in addition to a new Chad Carter custom.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just ordered the Schon STL-8. Should have it in a few days. Going to see how it plays with the standard specs and then probably head to Owensboro to have Chad Carter tweak it to my specs.

I am sort of curious as to how that Schon tip will play. Anybody have any thoughts on this tip?

r/DCP

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just ordered the Schon STL-8. Should have it in a few days. Going to see how it plays with the standard specs and then probably head to Owensboro to have Chad Carter tweak it to my specs.

I am sort of curious as to how that Schon tip will play. Anybody have any thoughts on this tip?

r/DCP
Its leather. Sorry, but seriously, you're gonna be hitting it in a few days and you will quickly decide if YOU like it or not. Tips are SO subjective asking others to me is like asking what is your favorite beer/wine/scotch. Back to the tip, they're medium hard and not as good as the older ones. Probably a LePro.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are the Runde era Schons & block letter Joss's considered "fat butts' like my D-series McD's? I have a D-1 & D-3. My butts measure about .85 /.86 joint and 1.28 / 1.29 buttcap. My D-3 is .85 / 1.29 and the D-1 is .86 / 1.28 ~ joint / buttcap, thanks guys.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are the Runde era Schons & block letter Joss's considered "fat butts' like my D-series McD's? I have a D-1 & D-3. My butts measure about .85 /.86 joint and 1.28 / 1.29 buttcap. My D-3 is .85 / 1.29 and the D-1 is .86 / 1.28 ~ joint / buttcap, thanks guys.
I've seen Schons butt size vary from 1.21-.22 up to 1.25-.27. A friend has an old LTD that's 1.22 and it fits my hand perfect. Problem is he ain't sellin'.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far this Schon STL-8 gets excellent ratings from me. Looks great, and that Schon proprietary tip seems fine. It feels sort of on the medium soft side so far. I'll probably have it changed to an Everest in the near future.

r/DCP