World 14.1 Championship in Queens, N.Y.

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To my 14.1 friends,

This is zensteve from the carom forum.

Michael Kang, the owner of Carom Cafe in Queens, N.Y. and I were talking tonight about the Verhoeven International 3C event www.USBA.net/2012Tour-Carom-Open-8-1.asp

He mentioned he is hosting the World 14.1 Championship during the same time period. (He has a dozen or so Gold Crowns)

Having the two most beautiful cue disciplines under one roof is too NICE!

If this comes to fruition....I'm pumped!

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Great news. I heard the sponsorship is down and I am just glad they are going ahead with it. It is not at a hotel, which is always the case when the money is down.

I am sure they will put further details out once they are finalized. Things like added money, qualifiers, accommodations.

Starts July 29, ends Aug 3.

Sponsors needed. Contact Dragon or Charlie Williams or me and I will put you in touch.

I sure hope they get some video coverage, too.

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Fantastic news. Hope to see you around Labor Day, Mr. Walsh!

Sounds good. It starts the day after my birthday. Maybe I can get a senior discount.

Bill and I were just looking online. 4 miles from LaGuardia. Amsterdam is about 20 minutes away. It sounds like we will be in the heart of Straight Pool Country. :D

ronscuba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...... 4 miles from LaGuardia. Amsterdam is about 20 minutes away. It sounds like we will be in the heart of Straight Pool Country. :D

Be careful with travel time estimates. It all depends on traffic. In general, there is ALWAYS traffic and it's easy to get a little lost.

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tennis anyone?

I can see it now>
The #7 train will be packed>>> folks in tennis whites headed to that other US Open..... and then those dressed in black with dark sunglasses... headed to the real US Open.

Well... they'll both be playing on Tournament Blue, if you're looking for common ground.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Sounds good. It starts the day after my birthday. Maybe I can get a senior discount.

Bill and I were just looking online. 4 miles from LaGuardia. Amsterdam is about 20 minutes away. It sounds like we will be in the heart of Straight Pool Country. :D

SOUNDS PRETTY COOL, ITS RIGHT IN MY BACKYARD !!!

even though it is a hop, skip, and jump away from me i have never been to Carom. and to have the 3-Cushion going on at the same time it should be pretty exciting.

i guess i know where i will be all that week !
-Steve

maldito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To my 14.1 friends,

This is zensteve from the carom forum.

Michael Kang, the owner of Carom Cafe in Queens, N.Y. and I were talking tonight about the Verhoeven International 3C event www.USBA.net/2012Tour-Carom-Open-8-1.asp

He mentioned he is hosting the World 14.1 Championship during the same time period. (He has a dozen or so Gold Crowns)

Having the two most beautiful cue disciplines under one roof is too NICE!

If this comes to fruition....I'm pumped!

Both at the same time ??? - going to be very crowded

wigglybridge

14.1 straight pool!
Silver Member
as far as i can see from the web site, the 3-cushion is at the beginning of August, and 14.1 at the end, so not at the same time.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the Carom Cafe fan friendly?
By that, I am asking if it has seating for a good number of spectators.

zensteve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My 14.1friends,

I understand having two events simultaneously is problematic. Perhaps I misunderstood Michael Kang. The "same time period"may mean the month of August. My bad.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Dragon Update

The 72nd World Tournament of 14.1 Moves to New York

Queens, New York- It's back again and for the seventh consecutive year, Dragon Promotions will produce the biggest international 14.1 event in the world, The 72nd World Tournament of Straight Pool . Once again in partnership with the support of Dr.Michael Fedak, this year's event will for the first in decades move to New York to Carom Cafe in Queens. The well renown billiard room will host this year's event starting July 29 through August 3, 2012. Once again the greatest straight pool players from around the world will arrive on USA soil and attend this prestigious event to play for the coveted title of greatest straight pool player in the world.

" Finally we are in New York City! Ever since the first year we resurrected the World Tournament, New Yorkers have been literally begging us to move it there. They promised big crowds, so here we are seven years later. This is the closest we have also ever been to Manhattan, so we are only a few stops on the subway to Queens and Carom Cafe", said Cindy Lee, CEO of Dragon Promotions.

Sponsors and private contributors are still needed for this year's event. Final added money and fund raising for the 2nd Annual Straight Pool Hall of Fame still must be generated. To help be a part of this treasured event, all the info to reach Dragon Promotions is found at the end of this news story.

The World Tournament is the oldest tournament in history that still exists today. Invented by Jerome Keough and shortly after recognized as the official game of billiards. The first World 14.1 Tournament was held in 1911 and won by Alfredo DeOro. In its history due to war and economics, the World Championships had 29 tournaments that did not take place including a 15 year gap between 1990-2005 until Dragon Promotions revived the game and the World Tournament in 2006.

"This is my absolute favorite game, and this is my favorite event in the world. The World Tournament is the ultimate straight pool event, and the oldest testament of skill there is in pool. Dragon Promotions have been terrific caretakers of this prestigious championship, and I am pleased to help them continue the longest running tournament in history", said Dr.Michael Fedak, one of the event's main sponsors.

The World Tournament Cup

This year marks the 72nd World Tournament , and expected stars such as reigning champion Thorsten Hohmann of Germany, Two-time World 14.1 Champion Oliver Ortmann with former World Champions Allen Hopkins, Stephan Cohen of France, and world class 14.1ers Johnny Archer, Mika Immonen, John Schmidt, Charlie Williams, Mike Davis are just a few of the powerful list of world beaters who will come to play in the greatest straight pool tournament in the world. Players may also join qualifiers to get a chance to compete in the World Tournament with all the legendary greats. Qualifier info will be announced shortly and later can be found at www.DragonPromotions.com To host a qualifier or play, contact worldstraightpoolchampionships@gmail.com

"The World Tournament till this day has proven to have the most passionate fans and players. Myself and our staff at Dragon Promotions have really come to a true appreciation of this game and its rich history. We are very proud to have become the caretakers of this prestigious event", added Cindy Lee.

The format for the event will be the same as the past six years. 64 players divided into 8 groups of 8 players in a round robin format playing races to 100. The top 32 players will advance to a double elimination tournament races to 150. The top 16 players will then advance to a single elimination race to 200 points.

The World Tournament Champion will also have his/her name inscribed on the 14.1 Champion's Cup alongside the names of previous winners such as Hohmann, Ortmann, Mosconi, Feijen, Mizerak, Lassiter, Cohen, and Martin.

Vendor spaces are also available, for more information on player registration, sponsorship, or if you would like to submit a comment, please email worldstraightpoolchampionships@gmail.com or contact Dragon Promotions at 1-407-782-4978.
Full event info is at www.dragonpromotions.com

Dragon Promotions is one of the leading producers of billiard programming in the world today. In a span of over 10 years, Dragon Promotions has produced over 100 international events airing on networks in USA, Korea, and Europe such as ESPN, ABS-CBN, ESPN Star Asia, MBC ESPN, XTM, XPORTS, and Euro Sport. Events include The World Tournament of 14.1, The Predator International 10-Ball Championship, King & Queen of Carom, Empress Cup, Pro Pool Schools, DP Pro Classic, Women's Trickshot Challenge, World Junior 10-Ball Championships, The World Mixed Doubles and many more. Dragon has expanded to other sports such as football and manages some of the world's best pool players including Johnny Archer, Allison Fisher, Mika Immonen, Shanelle Loraine, Rodney Morris, Charlie Williams, Mike Davis, and Erica Park. Watch their 10 year anniversary video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZrvwijI8fg visit www.dragonpromotions.com

topcat1953

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I was at the Carom cafe a few years ago and was very impressed with the facility. I would say "yes" to spectator friendliness. If I remember correctly, The tables are below the viewing area. When I was there, I had thought, "What a great place for a tournament."
Very friendly staff, too.
Oh, and bring you appetite.

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I go to Carom Cafe often for the 3c events. A great place for a tournament. I can't wait.

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member

Not really.

Carom is a big place with a lot of pool and carom tables. The problem is that unless tables are removed and seating brought in, the spectators are limited to the front of the room, in the bar/front desk area, where there is seating for maybe 20-30 max. While you will have great views of the carom tables, that are near teh front, the pool tables cover the other areas. If a match were played on one of the back rows of Pool tables, they will be about 100+ ft from the seating area.

Carom Cafe is located in Flushing. While it is close to LaGuardia, it is a general pain in the azz to drive there, not nearly as accessible as Manhattan. There is no easy way of driving there, other than winding thru the inner parts of NYC. Parking is terrible around Carom too.

This is a really bad choice, IMO.

Eric

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Unfortunate timing for me. I attend both the three cushion event and the World 14.1 event every year. In 2012, however, these events coincide with the Summer Olympics in London, so I'll be out of the country.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really.

Carom is a big place with a lot of pool and carom tables. The problem is that unless tables are removed and seating brought in, the spectators are limited to the front of the room, in the bar/front desk area, where there is seating for maybe 20-30 max. While you will have great views of the carom tables, that are near teh front, the pool tables cover the other areas. If a match were played on one of the back rows of Pool tables, they will be about 100+ ft from the seating area.

Carom Cafe is located in Flushing. While it is close to LaGuardia, it is a general pain in the azz to drive there, not nearly as accessible as Manhattan. There is no easy way of driving there, other than winding thru the inner parts of NYC. Parking is terrible around Carom too.

This is a really bad choice, IMO.

Eric

As I suspected from the start, a pool/billiard room is not a good place, and possibly the worst place, to hold any major tournament. Pool/Billiard rooms are designed to fit as many tables as possible with little regard for spectators.
I mean no offense to the Carom Cafe but, if this is to be a world class event, it needs to be in a location that can accomodate at least several hundred spectators.

kaznj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm it is too bad you are going to miss this. Your insight and evaluations are always a great addition to this forum. I guess we will have to wait for you to view the videos to get your perspective of the matches.