Darren Appleton vs. Danny Smith

amicenheimer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First off, kudos to Danny Smith for playing excellent one pocket! I must ask though, what in the world was going on with Darren and his shot selection?! Darren absolutely had no concern with moving Danny's balls (insert joke) away from Danny's pocket.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, Darren , a great player got beat. But he wasn't beat by a rookie, only someone whose name isn't known on the world stage..............yet. Danny don't have to lose to anyone at one pocket. Let's see how many offers he gets by known champions willing to give him any measureable weight for a sizeable wager. Danny don't cherry pick his opponents either. Wouldn't be a surprise if he is selected for next years Mosconi Cup either. He's young, dedicated, and fearless. Having said all that, I would like to see him as dedicated to something with a more meaningful future than pool. He is smart enough to accomplish whatever he wants.

miscrewed89

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Darren had the same mindset as the majority of people had. I believe he thought he would run over Danny with no troubles. After all, he is a champion... Well, welcome to the world of one-pocket, Darren! Meet Danny Smith...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if Danny would like to make a game with Dennis Orcollo. That could be arranged for DCC. They would have to play even.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't matter how great a player they are ,how many balls they can run, how many tournaments they won.

Does it Derren?

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
First off, kudos to Danny Smith for playing excellent one pocket! I must ask though, what in the world was going on with Darren and his shot selection?! Darren absolutely had no concern with moving Danny's balls (insert joke) away from Danny's pocket.

Darren failed to consider the strength of ball placement. So often, Danny was moving multiple balls in front of his hole! So much so, that Danny had "too many" in front of his pocket to the point that none would play in the hole!

Darren had opportunities to remove balls from in front of the pocket and chose to shot at his hole instead of addressing the "elephant" in the room, by removing those balls.

Danny would pass up shots in favor of moving multiple balls and gaining the advantage in table position. He went into the stack and moved multiple balls "WAY" more then appleton would. It made all the difference in my opinion! Appleton's strategy and game theory was slightly off. His execution is "FAR" superior to Danny in my opinion.

KD

rhatten

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just wondering if Danny would like to make a game with Dennis Orcollo. That could be arranged for DCC. They would have to play even.

MAN ...Derby is gunna be fun this year (2015). Large stacks coming in from everywhere. Poker Players, Backers, One handed players...world beaters all looking to settle scores and make new one. Wow... Maybe the Derby City Classic tournament will get back to being the 'side show' again.

Post up..

Randy

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This match was a very embarrassing show for DAZ. He looked like a real raw rookie at the game of one pocket. Winning one pocket tournaments does not make you good at the game, those races to 3 and 4 are a crapshoot. You play someone an ahead set and all your weaknesses are exploited over a few days.

The word World Champion is threw around way to much nowadays. It does not mean you are a world class all around player. Those are few and far between, like Nick Varner, Efren Reyes, and a few others.

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member

LOL

That wasn't long!!!

Big truck may have another fight night match???

I watched Ritchie give Orcollo the blues at Derby. I am certain he has improved since then with your "Coaching"??? Orcollo lost to Darren Appleton in the One Pocket portion of their all around. Are you sure Orcollo is "Better" at one hole than Darren Appleton and have a better result despite losing to him previously? Don't take this comment the wrong way, just trying to steer you out of harms way and give some "REAL" match history to indicate it might be biting off alot with this match! A match I would love to see, mind you!!! plus, Danny plays one hole all the time and stays in "Match" condition. Orcollo plays one pocket how often???

KD
Mike Wilson

JumpinJoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LOL

That wasn't long!!!

Big truck may have another fight night match???

I watched Ritchie give Orcollo the blues at Derby. I am certain he has improved since then with your "Coaching"??? Orcollo lost to Darren Appleton in the One Pocket portion of their all around. Are you sure Orcollo is "Better" at one hole than Darren Appleton and have a better result despite losing to him previously? Don't take this comment the wrong way, just trying to steer you out of harms way and give some "REAL" match history to indicate it might be biting off alot with this match! A match I would love to see, mind you!!! plus, Danny plays one hole all the time and stays in "Match" condition. Orcollo plays one pocket how often???

KD
Mike Wilson

What does a tournament (racing to 3) really have to do with guys playing 7 or 8 ahead. Nothing. Ahead set shows all weaknesses. And DENNIS would hijack Danny. He has PLENTY a more heart to fight when down then DAZ

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
What does a tournament (racing to 3) really have to do with guys playing 7 or 8 ahead. Nothing. Ahead set shows all weaknesses. And DENNIS would hijack Danny. He has PLENTY a more heart to fight when down then DAZ

FYI

That was a race to 7 not 3

But, I got and understand your point! Race vs. 7/8 ahead!

KD

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we all know that Americans play better pool than anybody in the world

i feel like becoming a stake horse

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
we all know that Americans play better pool than anybody in the world

i feel like becoming a stake horse

This is the best post of 2014.

Stakehorses don't like pictures!

Keep the cameras off when Dean is backing.
:)

backplaying

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the best post of 2014.

Stakehorses don't like pictures!

Keep the cameras off when Dean is backing.
:)

I know many don't know it, but when it comes to a all around, playing 1 hole, banks and 10 ball, there are a few American's that would be a favorite over almost any European.

dynamite

Gold Member
i admit i played bad.. lack of play for 5 months didn't help.. my mindset was off and my game.. maybe i was burnt out also with all travel and play.. i needed a week or two to prepare i didn't get it.. my own fault.. against chip i played perfect same format.. and beat many other good players for money...

i will play again for sure when I'm ready in new year and we can double the bet no problem

but well done to danny he played well... but he should he plays one pocket every day...

and also just for record i bet a good portion of my own money... so i didn't the the game for a free role i ALWAYS BET some of my own money..

thats pool we win some and lose some... but i would like a rematch in new year double the bet..:)

darren

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i admit i played bad.. lack of play for 5 months didn't help.. my mindset was off and my game.. maybe i was burnt out also with all travel and play.. i needed a week or two to prepare i didn't get it.. my own fault.. against chip i played perfect same format.. and beat many other good players for money...

i will play again for sure when I'm ready in new year and we can double the bet no problem

but well done to danny he played well... but he should he plays one pocket every day...

and also just for record i bet a good portion of my own money... so i didn't the the game for a free role i ALWAYS BET some of my own money..

thats pool we win some and lose some... but i would like a rematch in new year double the bet..:)

darren
It has to be hard to travel around the world playing the very best rotation players in the world
at the highest level then go play 1 pocket with out any time to get in 1 pocket mode congrats on
a great year Darren and good luck you have some big events the next two months