Mark Wilson: Genius Or Nincompoop?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Is that even how to spell it, n-i-n-c-o-m-p-o-o-p?

So the team has been chosen and it leaves me feeling confused and bewildered. :confused:

The selection of John Schmidt was based on what?

It could not have been based on his rotation play this year - or last. Was it that he is a 2006 US Open winner - a wiley veteran that our team needs? Or could it be that he's so much fun to be around, that his quick wit and intelligence has earned him a spot on the team? A mascot?

What about earning your way on to Team USA by performance?

What kind of message does this send to future candidates who bust their asses, play extremely well all year, have perfect attitudes, then get passed over in favor of someone who has not shown up at any rotation event of note displaying anything that remotely resembled success. :mad:

Can John polish up his rotation game in time for Mosconi Cup play? I suppose it's possible and, to be honest, I really hope that he does.

*BUT*

Why on earth was Jeremy Sossei kicked to the curb with the kind of year he is having? His rotation game is already gleaming. And he's a perfect gentleman.

For a captain who claims to be building a bright future for US pool, I fear that the exclusion of someone like Jeremy from the squad sends a really lousy message.

If you keep your nose clean, work your behind off, get consistently great results all year, you can be passed over in favor of someone who has had no appreciable success in 9b in a very long time. :shrug:

Mark Wilson may turn out to be a genius but at this particular moment, I'm leaning the other direction.

John, I hope you will surprise us all.

and I will always say:

Go USA.

best,
brian kc

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I know Jeremy is your friend and all and I said this in another thread and I think it's worth repeating...

Let's be real. Jeremy is a great player but there are a whole lot of American players who are as good if not better than him. I cannot see Jeremy spotting any of the following.

Svb
Dechaine
Rodney
Corey
Archer
Earl
Stevie Moore
Shuff
Bartram
Joey grey
Chip Compton
Justin hall
Justin Bergman
Donny Mills
Rob Saez
Henessee
Skylar Woodward
Oscar
John Schmidt
Jeremy jones
Mike Davis
Andrew Cleary
Larry Nevel
Hatch
Wilkie
Keith Bennett
Frost
Max Eberly
Putnam

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
I honestly am very surprised he was even mentioned in the Mosconi cup talks. I've been pretty vocal about it. Jeremy doesn't know me and I'm not hating on him at all, I'm just being real. There is nothing to be ashamed of with being a top 30ish player in the country, but I don't think he's elite.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
It's only 5 guys that get to go... and with the track record of negative energy on this site, I guess it should be no surprise to see these threads pop up like whack-a-moles... there'd be some kind of debate no matter who ended up on that list.

I sure hope none of Team USA read any of these things. And if they do, I'd like to provide a voice of solid, positive support in this wallowing sea of negative energy.

Wilson had his reasons for picking the team the way he did. I'm comfortable with it and won't waste a minute second-guessing his decision. After the antics I saw and read about last year, I'm happy to see someone of Schmidt's resume' and character on the roster. It provides much needed balance, and his prior experience on that stage counts for a lot, in my opinion... Good one-pocket & 14.1 play translates to good safety skills in rotation games, and we all know that at that level of play any one of those guys can beat the other on any given day, depending on all kinds of intangible factors. Especially in short race formats like MC, anything can happen.

At least this year it doesn't look like any of the players should be wearing a muzzle.

I wish Team USA all the best and fully support them. I feel well represented, and you should, too.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know Jeremy is your friend and all and I said this in another thread and I think it's worth repeating...

Let's be real. Jeremy is a great player but there are a whole lot of American players who are as good if not better than him. I cannot see Jeremy spotting any of the following.

Svb
Dechaine
Rodney
Corey
Archer
Earl
Stevie Moore
Shuff
Bartram
Joey grey
Chip Compton
Justin hall
Justin Bergman
Donny Mills
Rob Saez
Henessee
Skylar Woodward
Oscar
John Schmidt
Jeremy jones
Mike Davis
Andrew Cleary
Larry Nevel
Hatch
Wilkie
Keith Bennett
Frost
Max Eberly
Putnam

I like what you did there.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Svb
Dechaine
Rodney
Corey
Archer
Earl
Stevie Moore
Shuff
Bartram
Joey grey
Chip Compton
Justin hall
Justin Bergman
Donny Mills
Rob Saez
Henessee
Skylar Woodward
Oscar
John Schmidt
Jeremy jones
Mike Davis
Andrew Cleary
Larry Nevel
Hatch
Wilkie
Keith Bennett
Frost
Max Eberly
Putnam

I'm pretty sure Jeremy would gladly spot the 8th name from the bottom on this list.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Svb
Dechaine
Rodney
Corey
Archer
Earl
Stevie Moore
Shuff
Bartram
Joey grey
Chip Compton
Justin hall
Justin Bergman
Donny Mills
Rob Saez
Henessee
Skylar Woodward
Oscar
John Schmidt
Jeremy jones
Mike Davis
Andrew Cleary
Larry Nevel
Hatch
Wilkie
Keith Bennett
Frost
Max Eberly
Putnam

Other than SVB can't you make the same statement for all the members of the USA team?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm going with genius here. Mark is a visionary trying to paint a specific picture of American pool, and its the picture he believes will do the most good for pool in America.

Like virtually everybody, I don't think the five guys he selected give us out best chance to win, but like most, I think this team has a good shot to win.

Mark is doing everything he can for American pool. I admire him for that.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
After the antics I saw and read about last year, I'm happy to see someone of Schmidt's resume' and character on the roster.

I don't know if I've ever seen John act the way some of the members acted last year while playing but I've seen John be VERY unprofessional away from the table. Like a few years back at the US Open when he got upset with his cue sponsor and knocked over a whole display of cues to the floor in front of a lot of people in the lobby. I don't remember what he said, but his language was also very out of line. Also, his behavior on Facebook...

John however is a great player with natural talent and most of the time handles himself professionally. I don't believe he plays as much as other top Americans but he seems to be able to step up and play solid whenever he wishes. I wouldn't say he's a bad choice but I wouldn't have picked him personally.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The whole selection process was ridiculous. None of it merit based. Oh, in addition to their coach, they're also taking along to other non playing staff to act as cheerleaders.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I honestly am very surprised he was even mentioned in the Mosconi cup talks. I've been pretty vocal about it. Jeremy doesn't know me and I'm not hating on him at all, I'm just being real. There is nothing to be ashamed of with being a top 30ish player in the country, but I don't think he's elite.

His competitive record says he is elite. In the past year or so, he has wins in rotation pool disciplines over Vandenberg and Ouschan, two superstars of European pool. He also has wins over Dechaine, Earl, and Shane. In late 2013, he was 2nd at Turning Stone and 7th in the US Open.

Few have collected more big scalps of late than Jeremy, and few on your list have wins of this quality.

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
SVB, Dechaine, Bergman, Skylar and Oscar should be my team btw... So yea, I should have been the captain.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe the team will hear the Herb Brooks speech before they start the competition. Herb's selection process for the Olympic Hockey team has some similarities.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
SVB, Dechaine, Bergman, Skylar and Oscar should be my team btw... So yea, I should have been the captain.

How did you choose Oscar over Sossei? Please use factual match results and tournament finishes to back up your response.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I'm going with genius here. Mark is a visionary trying to paint a specific picture of American pool, and its the picture he believes will do the most good for pool in America.

Like virtually everybody, I don't think the five guys he selected give us out best chance to win, but like most, I think this team has a good shot to win.

Mark is doing everything he can for American pool. I admire him for that.

I disagree.

I'm all about fairness and John did not accomplish anything in rotation this year.

Jeremy had a great year. Any he played practically every week on big table events...even went to the China Open.

and fwiw, if they continued with the points earned as the way to get on Team USA, Jeremy would have been on both last years and this years team.

In tournament play this year, Jeremy has beaten Shane, Mike Dechaine, Earl, Jayson etc, etc.... and he's been winning tourneys.

Who has John been beating?

what tourneys has he won?

I won't be able to say genius until I see John on fire at MC

Until then this is a completely unfair selection.

best,
brian kc

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
His competitive record says he is elite. In the past year or so, he has wins in rotation pool disciplines over Vandenberg and Ouschan, two superstars of European pool. He also has wins over Dechaine, Earl, and Shane. In late 2013, he was 2nd at Turning Stone and 7th in the US Open.

Few have collected more big scalps of late than Jeremy, and few on your list have wins of this quality.

A handful of upset tournament match wins and a couple good finishes to me doesn't make someone elite. Jeremy plays in a lot of tournaments and being a great player, he's able to beat anyone but I wouldn't throw him in the top 20 Americans. And yes, everyone on this list has wins of this quality. They're all capable of beating each other or anyone else in a tournament match.

Dechaine has won Turning Stone and was 4th in the open, he was never even discussed for the team.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I like John and he's a great talent but the truth is he hasn't put himself in rotation competition to get ready. I think the decision to pass Mike and others by we're based solely on personality . I'm sure Marks knowledge of the players surely can't be that weak.
I'm not bashing but I don't buy the fresh start team building either, is he going to use the same players over and over? If not then what is he building?
It's his decision this year