elk master tip install help

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
So I got 10 today
I go and super glue the first one on

Wait a bit and start shaping it with the last4ever tool

It was pretty hard to the touch before once I began shaping it turned into almost a marshmallow like substance at the tip, squishy

Help?

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
That's the reason I don't install them anymore, they all do that unless you make a milkdud out of them.
Dave

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Tap them on a hard surface. The bad ones will make a slapping sound, the good ones will "tink". The higher the pitch of the tink, the harder the tip.
Tap every single layer tip you put on, eventually you'll be able to grade them by the sound they make.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
And how do you do that

Actually searching google with the terms 'milk dud cue tip' resulted in MANY results showing how to do it, and also where to buy.....

Using the search function on AZ should turn up the right results. Basically soak them in milk for 24-48 hours then press them until dry. There is more details to it, but that's the general idea. You can buy them from I believe it's Pooldawg here on AZ or go to Muellers and buy them there.
http://www.muellers.com/Dudley-Cue-Tips--13mm,494.html
http://www.muellers.com/Dudley-Cue-Tips--14mm,495.html
Dave

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Tap them on a hard surface. The bad ones will make a slapping sound, the good ones will "tink". The higher the pitch of the tink, the harder the tip.
Tap every single layer tip you put on, eventually you'll be able to grade them by the sound they make.

thanks for the tip, ill do that

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
You can buy the things for about $3.00 from AZ member "pooldawg8". It's a soaked and pressed Elkmaster tip and there are no better tips anywhwere regardless of cost !!!

so ive heard, im giving it a go with the ones i already have, put them in milk last night
will bring them to work and press them here and see how it does

made a press fixture out of aluminum, drilled it with a 5/8 ball mill , and will try some flat pressed too

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
The normal Elk cuts much better (with your toolpost cutter) if you wipe a little thin CA glue on the sides and wipe with a paper towel. Once you get down close to the ferrule,you can reapply the CA and finish with a utility blade.

I'm making a batch of Elks and Triangles that are soaked and repressed as we speak. Tommy D.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The normal Elk cuts much better (with your toolpost cutter) if you wipe a little thin CA glue on the sides and wipe with a paper towel. Once you get down close to the ferrule,you can reapply the CA and finish with a utility blade.

I'm making a batch of Elks and Triangles that are soaked and repressed as we speak. Tommy D.

Glad to see you are up and about my friend. :cool:
All the best.
Joe P.

Kamikazecuetips

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I got 10 today
I go and super glue the first one on

Wait a bit and start shaping it with the last4ever tool

It was pretty hard to the touch before once I began shaping it turned into almost a marshmallow like substance at the tip, squishy

Help?

I use to have that problem too. One of the things that helps with regular Elkmasters, is to buy several sizes, especially if you do installs. If you install an Elkmaster slightly bigger than the ferrule, then there is very little to cut on the sides. A lot of times that works, and the integrity of the tip stays intact. When you cut too much into Elkmasters, they almost always marshmallow. This is what helps for my regular Elkmaster fans....

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I use to have that problem too. One of the things that helps with regular Elkmasters, is to buy several sizes, especially if you do installs. If you install an Elkmaster slightly bigger than the ferrule, then there is very little to cut on the sides. A lot of times that works, and the integrity of the tip stays intact. When you cut too much into Elkmasters, they almost always marshmallow. This is what helps for my regular Elkmaster fans....

I kind of noticed that soon as I cut deep it ballooned
Thank for your tip

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's why elks come in 1/2 mm size increments. If you look at players like Ronney O, you will notice he does not trip the od of the tip. If you try and take them from say 14mm to 13mm, often that will accordion on you.

Sent from my SM-J500Y using Tapatalk

JC

Coos Cues
Sorry I didnt spoon feed you the answer...... my bad......

Maybe this entire sub forum should be shut down and replaced with google?

Then you can put up a site with comments and folks can find you by googling "cranky old man, get off my lawn".

JC

Last edited: