Break cues

KMRUNOUT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the advice. I'm leaning towards getting a combination break and jump cue. Any specific ones to recommend?

Yes...I'd recommend NOT getting a break/jump. Some of the qualities that make a good break cue make a bad jump cue, and vice versa. For a jumper you want extremely light weight, lots of weight up front near the tip, extremely hard tip, like G10, phenolic, or something like the Hammerhead (which is just sick on a jump cue). For breaking, a low deflection shaft really helps quite a bit. The weight and balance would be much different for a break cue. I want a relatively light front end. Not sure the very hardest tip is best for a breaker, but it isn't bad. I LOVE the Hammerhead tip for breaking, but the factory phenolic on something like the Predator or OB is very good too.

If cost is an issue, I would recommend getting a very good jump cue (Jacoby, Marty Carey...something dedicated that does the job well), and use a house cue to break with for a while. Then when you can afford it get a good breaker. I've already said I think the BK3 and OB break cues are the nuts. There are other good options but make sure to try these ones out.

Let me know if you want some more info about this.

KMRUNOUT

pjacobs0308

I never used a break cue until I shattered an OB ferrule by breaking. (this was my fault, FYI, not OB's since they make it clear not to break with those ferrules) You don't NEED a break cue, but just like any other cue comparison anyone has ever done on any forum or in any discussion, you might feel comfortable with one if you try it, and that's the information you're really looking for. No one in a forum can tell you which cue set-up is correct, that's always an argument, but they may offer you suggestions of which setups might be worth trying to see if they feel right to you. If you have an OB wood ferrule cue you NEED to use a different cue to break IMHO. That being said, I do find for myself that a break cue with a Samsara tip or something like that will allow you to control the cue ball with a little less body movement in the mechanics of your break stroke, i.e. you can just use a firm pendulum arm rather than trying to get the hips involved and all that.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just as well if you use a spare cue that you already own,just put a good tip. A LePro or triangle tip will suffice. I play and break with a pooldawg8 milkdud,and it has NEVER mushroomed. Every now & the I'll rough them a LITTLE with a Willards. !!!

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I had a great break cue, and sold it in a moment of weakness. Since then I've been breaking with a modified j/j. Had the butt bored out to reduce the weight a little bit, and the ferrule and tip changed out.

The weight reduction is the big thing to me, as I break better with a lighter cue. I think it is well worth having one, know I get more control and less tip wear on my playing cue using one.

For the 100 bucks I have in the j/j it would take about 300 to get it from me.

8onthebreak

THE WORLD IS YOURS
Silver Member
Amen!

Yes...I'd recommend NOT getting a break/jump. Some of the qualities that make a good break cue make a bad jump cue, and vice versa. For a jumper you want extremely light weight, lots of weight up front near the tip, extremely hard tip, like G10, phenolic, or something like the Hammerhead (which is just sick on a jump cue). For breaking, a low deflection shaft really helps quite a bit. The weight and balance would be much different for a break cue. I want a relatively light front end. Not sure the very hardest tip is best for a breaker, but it isn't bad. I LOVE the Hammerhead tip for breaking, but the factory phenolic on something like the Predator or OB is very good too.

If cost is an issue, I would recommend getting a very good jump cue (Jacoby, Marty Carey...something dedicated that does the job well), and use a house cue to break with for a while. Then when you can afford it get a good breaker. I've already said I think the BK3 and OB break cues are the nuts. There are other good options but make sure to try these ones out.

Let me know if you want some more info about this.

KMRUNOUT

Amen!
Breakers don't make great jumpers. Buy them separately, invest in one, then the other, then you'll have a great set.
Also, I personally like phenolic for jump...but absolutely will not break with a ph notice tip.
USE HARD LEATHER TIP FOR BREAK.SAMSARA OR THE LIKE

JoseV

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard stories years ago that if you break with your playing cue you can start to loosen up the inlays. Not sure how true this is since its been about 20 years since i heard this.