Ronnie O'Sullivan playing One-Pocket

O'SulliReyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan just a posted a photo of him playing One-Pocket on Twitter. Apparently he's in the US right now--can someone confirm this?

https://twitter.com/ronnieo147/status/748922845535858691

"This one pocket is the best game I've played in years. Think it would go down well with cue sport fans."

Not surprised at all that the best cueist in the world today (by a country mile) would enjoy One-Pocket and appreciate the sheer amount of skill required to play the game properly. To the untrained eye/general public, One-Pocket may seem to be too boring a game to be shown on TV. Imagine if Ronnie somehow decides to give this game a serious go--maybe, just maybe, he'd make One-Pocket more palatable to the average non-pool playing audience?

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan just a posted a photo of him playing One-Pocket on Twitter. Apparently he's in the US right now--can someone confirm this?

https://twitter.com/ronnieo147/status/748922845535858691

"This one pocket is the best game I've played in years. Think it would go down well with cue sport fans."

Not surprised at all that the best cueist in the world today (by a country mile) would enjoy One-Pocket and appreciate the sheer amount of skill required to play the game properly. To the untrained eye/general public, One-Pocket may seem to be too boring a game to be shown on TV. Imagine if Ronnie somehow decides to give this game a serious go--maybe, just maybe, he'd make One-Pocket more palatable to the average non-pool playing audience?

I'm sure his ball making skills, position, and safeties are world class in any game, but snooker isn't really much of a game for learning how to be a great banker.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Ronnie became seriously interested in one pocket, there are 2 things I could guarantee

1. It would become very popular in England
2. He would hold his own, and extend his career

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure his ball making skills, position, and safeties are world class in any game, but snooker isn't really much of a game for learning how to be a great banker.

So he's got one skill to learn.

A few lessons with Brumback and he'll be a champion :)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan just a posted a photo of him playing One-Pocket on Twitter. Apparently he's in the US right now--can someone confirm this? ...

From an article by Desmond Kane on 4/26/16 (just after O'Sullivan was knocked out of this year's snooker world championship):

• After he moves on from the frustration of losing in the second round for the first time since 2009, O’Sullivan is planning a trip to America over the summer months to film a documentary on the game of pool.

“I’m looking forward to a few more exhibitions, a trip to Romania, a bit of holiday time and a nice three-week trip across America,” he said.

“I’m doing a travel log programme. I’m going to New York, Chicago, Memphis and New Orleans. It is a bit about pool and local pool players are going to show us around the area.

“We’re going to have fun, bounce around America and have a bit of a laugh.”

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
From an article by Desmond Kane on 4/26/16 (just after O'Sullivan was knocked out of this year's snooker world championship):

• After he moves on from the frustration of losing in the second round for the first time since 2009, O’Sullivan is planning a trip to America over the summer months to film a documentary on the game of pool.

“I’m looking forward to a few more exhibitions, a trip to Romania, a bit of holiday time and a nice three-week trip across America,” he said.

“I’m doing a travel log programme. I’m going to New York, Chicago, Memphis and New Orleans. It is a bit about pool and local pool players are going to show us around the area.

“We’re going to have fun, bounce around America and have a bit of a laugh.”

Someone that understands US ghettos and is "capable" needs to accompany Ronnie O in his travels

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever try to play one pocket on a snooker table ?

It will drive you crazy.

I love it. Takes away a lot of moves from players who are better than me on a nine footer
:thumbup:

Also opens up a lot of new shots.

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ever try to play one pocket on a snooker table ?

It will drive you crazy.

One pocket, on a 5 X 10 or 6 X 12 snooker table is a great game..That was where most of the high $$$ action took place, at the old 'Rack' in Detroit! :cool:

PS..One pocket will never be a popular spectator game..Too much inside knowledge is required. But if you get your cash involved, it becomes a real interesting game on any size table! :eek:

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Mr. O'Sullivan would have to convince the promoters (Barry Hearn, etc.) to televise one-pocket matches in order for it to become popular. I don't think it would pass Mr. Hearn's profit analysis regardless of who's playing it.

By-the-by, how well known are English pool players in the UK, such as Appleton, etal.?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One pocket, on a 6 X 12 snooker table is a great game..That was where most of the high $$$ action took place, at the old 'Rack' in Detroit! :cool:

PS..One pocket will never be a popular spectator game..Too much inside knowledge is required. But if you get your cash involved, it becomes a real interesting game! :eek:

I heard they are almost finished with the first game. Anybody know the score? Last time I heard, it was something like 4 to 2 and they were taking a break. :) :)

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard they ar

e almost finished with the first game. Anybody know the score? Last time I heard, it was something like 4 to 2 and they were taking a break.

Oddly enough, 1P on a snooker table, can be faster than on a pool table.. However, it is usually played with a shorter (10 or 6 ball) rack..First one to 5 or 3 wins..I actually think its a better game! :cool:

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. O'Sullivan would have to convince the promoters (Barry Hearn, etc.) to televise one-pocket matches in order for it to become popular. I don't think it would pass Mr. Hearn's profit analysis regardless of who's playing it.

By-the-by, how well known are English pool players in the UK, such as Appleton, etal.?

If you mean players that play English Pool (I.e. Red and yellow balls on a 7 foot table) then I'd say outside the pool community no-one could name anyone, perhaps the odd person could name Mick Hill, but that's about it.

If you mean English players who play American Pool then you would find a few people who could name, or at least recognise the top players.

The main reason behind this is that American pool has some coverage via Matchroom/Sky sports, with the Mosconi and World Cups being shown live.

Names like Appleton, Boyes, Melling etc. and the top European players would be known by the casual fan, but the average man on the street would still struggle to name anyone.

Snooker however is on free to air to, so the top players are widely known (that said it feels like perhaps not as many people outside teh main fan base could name the top 16 now, compared to when the likes of Davis and Hendry were playing).

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
does anyone know how to contact ronnie or the people arranging his tour of the usa???