WHY is the US Open on the 7 Foot tables now?

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is the US Open 8 and 10 ball on bar tables in 2015 and 2016?

I'm not saying I have anything against 7 foot tables necessarily, but the shot making component of the game in rotation games, is so far removed from what is demanded by a 9 foot table.

For rotation games at least (8 ball may be a different story), playing on a 7 foot table, for pros, seems to be cheapening the game IMHO.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why is the US Open 8 and 10 ball on bar tables in 2015 and 2016?

I'm not saying I have anything against 7 foot tables necessarily, but the shot making component of the game in rotation games, is so far removed from what is demanded by a 9 foot table.

For rotation games at least (8 ball may be a different story), playing on a 7 foot table, for pros, seems to be cheapening the game IMHO.

League pool on baby tables pays the bills. Makes them think they're doing it just like the pros.

MuchoBurrito

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
League pool on baby tables pays the bills. Makes them think they're doing it just like the pros.

It certainly does. Almost 100% of the league pool in my area is barbox (which I play in of course).

But to me, it's almost like the US Open in Golf being played on a 6000 yard club course, and watching everybody go -30 over 4 rounds. Yeah that's impressive, no I can't do that, but they're pro's. They SHOULD be subjected to a more difficult standard. I want to see them pull off shots at distances that I just can't hope to duplicate.

When I watch pro's play on a 7 foot table, and nobody misses a pot all match, what's the point?

9Ballr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
2 feet is a huge difference on 7 vs 9 foot tables when it comes to long distance shots and of course the break.
I which they hadn't played this important tournament on 7 footers.
Just not the same. Kinda lame actually....just my opinion.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It certainly does. Almost 100% of the league pool in my area is barbox (which I play in of course).

But to me, it's almost like the US Open in Golf being played on a 6000 yard club course, and watching everybody go -30 over 4 rounds. Yeah that's impressive, no I can't do that, but they're pro's. They SHOULD be subjected to a more difficult standard. I want to see them pull off shots at distances that I just can't hope to duplicate.

When I watch pro's play on a 7 foot table, and nobody misses a pot all match, what's the point?

For your entertainment. The pros are dancing bears.

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me, it's not even worth watching. Why not just play on one of these and get it over with?

0030721_CF0001.jpg

Honestly, it's a little embarrassing for American pool, IMHO.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some of the outs in 8 ball were impressive even on the 7 footer. It is very interesting to see how the pros break out trouble balls. However I agree that the 10 ball should be played on a 9 footer.

On a side note, are diamond bar tables slightly smaller than valley bar tables? It seems like they are by a few inches

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not only is it a joke to call it the U.S. Open with out adding barbox to the title , but the field size was relative to the table size missing many top players

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I do not approve.

Don't they have a BAR TABLE Nationals event?

I think I remember hearing about something like that. I wasn't interested and tried to forget it immediately..... but yeah, I think there is or was such a thing.

I think championship series for any GAME in pocket billiards should be at a higher level. 9 foot Gold Crowns trimmed up to pro standards. Oh wait, it depends on what standards we are talking about since the US has a couple dozen standards because we have 12 million chiefs and no Indians in Cue Sports... everyone knows best.

I think there should be a giant Summit of all the pool talent, whomever can wheel their decrepit butts into the appointed edifice to vote on the many facets of what the US standard will be. Then it will be set in stone and that's all folks. Any league or event that wants to be sanctioned by any governing body in the US will have to abide by scripture.

Anyone laying odds on anything like this happening in this century?

Lesh

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
The answer to the OP's question was given in another thread. Basically they couldn't make it financially viable with 9 footers.

I guess I have been too negative towards the 7 foot tournaments. In the US at the moment, most players seem to be league barbox players, so it makes sense to have tournaments on them. I definitely think "barbox" should be in the title, though.

Personally I don't think it really counts as pool. It is less skilled, less interesting to watch and over all an inferior game to 9 foot tables. I also believe it will over time diminish the skill of US players compared to the rest of the world. Luckily the chances of the 7 foot trend has of being exported around the world are very slim indeed. So as a foreigner, it's not the end of the world for me if you ruin your own pool scene. It does make me sad as a pool purist and lover of watching high quality pool, but it doesn't impact my own playing in the least. I and others with me in Europe and Asia, will continue to enjoy the large table game and you Americans can continue to enjoy your little tables. Then, when your ass gets kicked in international competition, you can continue to blame your loss on team spirit (or lack of it) or other such nonsense.

You are still reaping benefits from having players that grew up on full scale tables. The next generation of players won't have had that luxury. Talented individuals will still emerge, but they'll be fighting an uphill battle against the Pinoys, the Chineese and to a lesser extent Europeans (as the game is declining in popularity here as well).

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer to the OP's question was given in another thread. Basically they couldn't make it financially viable with 9 footers.

I'd rather they just skip it before the last remaining real pool halls get the bright idea to convert to "Regulation US Open" size tables. This is terrible for the sport and worse than nothing, in my opinion. It's starting to make me wonder if this isn't exactly what Diamond would love to see happen. It's enough to make me miss Gandy.

And just to be clear, I've got nothing against small tables. They're fun to fart around on in a bar, having a couple of drinks with your buddies, but it's like comparing Pitch&Putt to a real golf course. Pitch & Putt can be fun, but it's hardly the same game.

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't have an answer to the OP on the switch, but to the ensuing posts about pros on a 7' table, especially these Diamonds with pro cut pocket... You guys apparently missed some of the best pool this week.

Anyone who continues to say how much a joke it is for pool to be played on 7' tables for pros... The pros seemed to enjoy the challenge. The challenge for the extra ball in 10-ball was real. And even more if the table is smaller, the stats shown by At Large doesn't show that big of a difference, not so much that it was a break and run fest.

Again, did you guys even watch any of this week? It was simply amazing pool.

Freddie

john coloccia

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have an answer to the OP on the switch, but to the ensuing posts about pros on a 7' table, especially these Diamonds with pro cut pocket... You guys apparently missed some of the best pool this week.

Anyone who continues to say how much a joke it is for pool to be played on 7' tables for pros... The pros seemed to enjoy the challenge. The challenge for the extra ball in 10-ball was real. And even more if the table is smaller, the stats shown by At Large doesn't show that big of a difference, not so much that it was a break and run fest.

Freddie

It's not just about difficulty level. Even if it's MORE difficult wouldn't really matter. The point is that it's a completely different game and belongs in it's own barbox category. If you're going to call something "US Open", it should be played on similar equipment to all the other US Opens. Why not call it the US Barbox Open?

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's not just about difficulty level. Even if it's MORE difficult wouldn't really matter. The point is that it's a completely different game and belongs in it's own barbox category. If you're going to call something "US Open", it should be played on similar equipment to all the other US Opens.

I don't disagree with this. But clearly, that's not the only point after the OP's post, as I has said.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Said!

Freddie
I don't think most of the people who complain really understand the game. Shane and Rodney are the two best players in the USA on any table so it doesn't matter what they paly on their going to win.

There are number of other good players that run out on any table, Josh Roberts plays any game on any table tournament or cash, Sky aint duck'n nobody and plays on all tables and the list goes on and on. Big table small table these guys can play.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couldn't help but get a chuckle out of this thread. Can't help but wonder if one would have heard the same comments when the pros went from the "real" 10' tables down to those toy 9' tables a little over half a century ago if they would have had the internet back then. :D

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think most of the people who complain really understand the game. Shane and Rodney are the two best players in the USA on any table so it doesn't matter what they paly on their going to win.

There are number of other good players that run out on any table, Josh Roberts plays any game on any table tournament or cash, Sky aint duck'n nobody and plays on all tables and the list goes on and on. Big table small table these guys can play.

Thorsten, I suppose, represented Europe this week. He said "he loved playing on these 7' Diamond tables."

Of course, he won the 10-ball event last year. But nonetheless, if a European former World 14.1 and 9-ball champion loves playing them, why do AZB posters give these amazing 7' Diamond Pro Ams with pro cut pockets such a bad rap?

Freddie

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Couldn't help but get a chuckle out of this thread. Can't help but wonder if one would have heard the same comments when the pros went from the "real" 10' tables down to those toy 9' tables a little over half a century ago if they would have had the internet back then. :D

Same people, different era. Griping is as griping does.

Don't you know that pool only existed since about 1990?

Freddie <~~~ SSDD

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a side note, are diamond bar tables slightly smaller than valley bar tables? It seems like they are by a few inches
I don't think so. The playing surface of the Diamond 7-footers is 80". I believe the most common Valleys are either the same or smaller; I know 78" is another common 7-foot size. I don't think any of the Valleys are larger than 80".