Interesting carbon fiber pads.

Cmbeers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I put new Kamui tips on 2 OB shafts. Couple days after the customer gets them, he calls and said they fell off. I hadn't had a tip fall off in a long time. So I had him bring them back and this is what I found.

Now, the shafts had the carbon fiber pads on them, all I did was face off the pad and glue the tip as normal. The first one pulled the pad completely off, tip still attached to the pad. The second one split the pad in half. I've not seen this happen before. I just put new carbon fiber pads on and new tips. He's had no problems since.

Just thought it was interesting.

Chris
BRT Cue Repair

010ee714b9409d29cfd1b39e24095e93.jpg
2cc8c6348e64336259874b729a64867e.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Cmbeers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's possible. It didn't look that way, but you never know.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I`ve seen this a few times, maybe the glue used to hold down the pad didn`t work well with carbon fiber?
Or it could be a total fluke, hard to say sometimes, just make sure that thing is faced off right and clean the pad with detaured alcohol before you glue it on.And keep the thing under preassure for a good hour or so.

conetip

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes there is still some release agent on the surface of carbon products. This must be removed without recontamination of that surface. Cleaning with a solvent can help and when sanding the surface, only rub one direction and do not cross over the previous area that it was faced on. I have never seen a carbon matrix tear into two like you have shown.

Neil

Cmbeers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was a first for me. I just put new carbon fiber pads on and problem was fixed.

The top photo shows the "foam" piece that pulled out with the pad. I'm guessing it had developed a crack in the foam and couldn't hold.

The second photo where the pad split in half, who knows. Lol!

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
There could of been a number of things that went wrong or caused the issue....
I will spread my self learnt knowledge here, there is a superglue used for archery repairs&service on carbon fiber.. n that's all I have to say about that cuz I'm learning and experimenting new processes all the time.... now it's your turn to go out there and challenge your mind and be creative.

Rob.M

italbomber

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just replaced a ob rift tip that my “monster” buddy had come off. He has a very powerful break. He had the factory one come off and I had to face the ferrule and then new pad and went with a white diamond tip. Did my normal routine and by the fifth break it popped clean off. Did some research and it’s definitely something to do with the carbon fiber pads. They have to be cleaned and really sanded by 80 grit or so to set the right way. Going to try it again tonight.

Jerry Botz
B&B Cue Works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk