Index finger and grip

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I have heard that the index finger should not touch the cue while cradling the butt. I thought I saw Dennis O use his index finger but I am not sure. Anyone have advice on this one?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have heard that the index finger should not touch the cue while cradling the butt. I thought I saw Dennis O use his index finger but I am not sure. Anyone have advice on this one?

Many champions use the index finger as a main part of their grip. Did the person who recommended against that state a reason? Was it advice to solve a specific problem that you have?

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Many champions use the index finger as a main part of their grip. Did the person who recommended against that state a reason? Was it advice to solve a specific problem that you have?

He only said the index finger moves the stick. Maybe it was a problem that I had but he did not say it was a problem that I had. He is a certified instructor.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He only said the index finger moves the stick. Maybe it was a problem that I had but he did not say it was a problem that I had. He is a certified instructor.

Some players prefer to put most of their grip pressure on the index finger. I don't, because I have found that the index finger is often the culprit when a player develops a problem twisting the cue. I can honestly say that as a teacher, I've seen it hundreds of times in players who twist.

My preference is to rest the index finger lightly on the butt. The major part of grip pressure is on the third and 4th fingers for me.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Some players prefer to put most of their grip pressure on the index finger. I don't, because I have found that the index finger is often the culprit when a player develops a problem twisting the cue. I can honestly say that as a teacher, I've seen it hundreds of times in players who twist.

My preference is to rest the index finger lightly on the butt. The major part of grip pressure is on the third and 4th fingers for me.

Yes, I have been using only the 3rd and 4th fingers to cradle for a few months . It is my normal grip now and feels natural. Thank you for your input.

I think if someone teaches or wants a pendulum stroke this may be true but your index finger typically has the most touch/feel!