Old Cue - What is it?

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
55.25 inches?

Strange.

The butt sleeve looks like some Mayer cues I have seen. Also reminiscent of Doc Fry.

But the butt cap and joint not.

This is a stumper for me...

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It's a Titlist butt. And a bit short, at 55 1/4 inches.

Both Frank Paradise and Karl Mayer played around with some of these pearlescent materials, such as the butt sleeve and butt plate show here. It looks too early to be Mike Fedunka.

If either Paradise or Meyer, the cue would have been re-wrapped. That black with white spot linen was not used in that era.

Can't be sure, but I lean to either of the two. Tough one.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a Titlist butt. And a bit short, at 55 1/4 inches.

Yes, Titlist.

But why so short?

It does not look like a billiard taper.

Custom order for a kid?

Yes, I should have mentioned Paradise as well. I think the weight bolt might be right...

But still...?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Yes, Titlist.

But why so short?

It does not look like a billiard taper.

Custom order for a kid?

Yes, I should have mentioned Paradise as well. I think the weight bolt might be right...

But still...?

Yeah, this is a weird one. Is that an 18 thread pin? It looks like it. If so, does not rule out Paradise. However, I've never seen a Paradise cue with such thin shaft rings...

Can we get a closer look at the ferrule, and is it original?

Still thinking.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, this is a weird one. Is that an 18 thread pin? It looks like it. If so, does not rule out Paradise. However, I've never seen a Paradise cue with such thin shaft rings...

Can we get a closer look at the ferrule, and is it original?

Still thinking.

All the best,
WW

It looks 14 to me. (could be wrong)

My Mayer cue is 18 pin, and brass. But I don't know about how often he might have used other pins.

Nine Ball

Certified Rail Tester
Silver Member
It has a 5/16x14 thread. I dont think the ferrule is original. Looks kind of like the melamine ferrules. All I know of the cue is it came from an older fellow who passed away and owned a pool hall years back in Kentucky. I was also able to gather up an old Huebler break jump, It's George fellini latch style and a Mac case along with it. The man I got them from said it was his father-in-laws stuff who passed about 7 years ago.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
It has a 5/16x14 thread. I dont think the ferrule is original. Looks kind of like the melamine ferrules. All I know of the cue is it came from an older fellow who passed away and owned a pool hall years back in Kentucky. I was also able to gather up an old Huebler break jump, It's George fellini latch style and a Mac case along with it. The man I got them from said it was his father-in-laws stuff who passed about 7 years ago.

OK, I think we can eliminate Frank Paradise. Not aware that he did any with 14 thread pins. Also, Frank did not recess the weight screw that far into the butt plate usually, though there are some exceptions. The ferrule does look a bit too white to be original. Back in the day, it was often Lucite, which was a bit darker, though fiber was used.

Still a bit of a mystery. Doc and I will wear ourselves out...

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
If not a Mayer, could it be a really early Viking, when Gordon was just getting started with all these pearlescent materials? Not aware that he did any with no bumper, but can't be sure.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If not a Mayer, could it be a really early Viking, when Gordon was just getting started with all these pearlescent materials? Not aware that he did any with no bumper, but can't be sure.

All the best,
WW

Funny, Viking occured to me as well. Crazy people think alike?

I have a 1966/67 Viking Titlist.

Wrong weight bolt, wrong pin, wrong pilot...etc...

Yes, he did bumperless, but it was a straight slotted bolt, "stove bolt" type head.

Of course, he could have used other weight bolts.

And in the early 60's he could have made almost anything using a variety of parts and materials.

We know that he did have an affinity for marbelized plastics and to this day Viking uses a lot of it...and I do mean a lot of it.

This is my Viking Titlist. 1966/67. With the printing on the "book binding" cloth under the window.
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Funny, Viking occured to me as well. Crazy people think alike?

I have a 1966/67 Viking Titlist.

Wrong weight bolt, wrong pin, wrong pilot...etc...

Yes, he did bumperless, but it was a straight slotted bolt, "stove bolt" type head.

Of course, he could have used other weight bolts.

And in the early 60's he could have made almost anything using a variety of parts and materials.

We know that he did have an affinity for marbelized plastics and to this day Viking uses a lot of it...and I do mean a lot of it.

Yep, crazy people think alike. I prefer to think of us as obsessive...

You may have found an example of the winner. Look how the points of your Viking come down to where it's obviously cut below where a full splice would indicate. Nine Ball's cue is even cut a bit below that, but it's similar. And the materials are very similar. The plot thickens...

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, crazy people think alike. I prefer to think of us as obsessive...

You may have found an example of the winner. Look how the points of your Viking come down to where it's obviously cut below where a full splice would indicate. Nine Ball's cue is even cut a bit below that, but it's similar. And the materials are very similar. The plot thickens...

All the best,
WW

Yes, I see that.

But I have a pointed brass 18 pin. And that my friend is a compression fit wood pilot on my cue, with a stainless collar.

He has a brass collar and stainless 14 pin. And I dare say that pin looks a bit modern.

I don't have a pic, but the weight bolt in mine is a rounded head straight slotted "stove bolt".

Bizline-174575-jpg-300Wx300H.jpg

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Yes, I see that.

But I have a pointed brass 18 pin. And that my friend is a compression fit wood pilot on my cue, with a stainless collar.

He has a brass collar and stainless 14 pin. And I dare say that pin looks a bit modern.

Agree, there are differences. The pin is different, the pilot is different, and the weight bolt is different. I think we have ruled out Abe Rich, by the way. So, we have the usual suspects. I think I've ruled out Frank Paradise, Mike Fedunka, and Palmer.

And, someone has replaced the wrap, so who knows what else has been done...

So, there we are...

All the best,
WW

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue is short because the house cue it was made from was not too meaty.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue is short because the house cue it was made from was not too meaty.

Maybe so.

But even then, don't they just move the points up and add to the back end?

There is a lot of forearm real estate on that cue. The maker does not seem to have tried to move the points forward.

Of course, that maneuver is a little more modern I think.

It is a thought though.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Maybe so.

But even then, don't they just move the points up and add to the back end?

There is a lot of forearm real estate on that cue. The maker does not seem to have tried to move the points forward.

Of course, that maneuver is a little more modern I think.

It is a thought though.

Not only did they add to the back end, but they replaced the handle, so it didn't matter what the beginning length of the cue was.

All the best,
WW

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I think it's an Abe Rich

Edit: deadpan is hard to deliver via text, I'll accept your red reps now