Runde Hoppe Style

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
I just picked this up yesterday and it is now my new daily player.This Runde is a little different than most, as it has 5 veneers on the ebony points.In the points there is 1 notched ivory diamond and in the ebony butt sleeve there are 10 notched ivory diamonds.Two groups of 4 and a diamond in between each group.It plays very well :D
BTW,it seems that "modern" Runde Hoppe's have the name and year in the Ivory Hoppe ring.Does any one know when Bob Runde started to put the year? I know this is an "oldie but goodie" but I don't know the year.Any help would be appreciated.Thanks and enjoy the pics.

Marc

Runde Hoppe.jpg

Runde Hoppe1.jpg

Runde Hoppe2.jpg

Runde Hoppe3.jpg

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure of the year, but I am sure it's a good looking cue.
Nice veneers and birdseye. Looks like a very good player.
Congrats.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marc,

I'm just guessing at this but I'm thinking it's an early version after he started up making cues subsequent to selling Schon.
The photo gave me the impression the butt sleeve is a larger diameter like Bob made while he was at Schon. I know my
Runde Schon made in '85 has a thicker diameter cue butt than my Mottey or Scruggs cues and I'm supposing this was a
early - mid 90's version Runde cue.

Matt B.

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
Marc,

I'm just guessing at this but I'm thinking it's an early version after he started up making cues subsequent to selling Schon.
The photo gave me the impression the butt sleeve is a larger diameter like Bob made while he was at Schon. I know my
Runde Schon made in '85 has a thicker diameter cue butt than my Mottey or Scruggs cues and I'm supposing this was a
early - mid 90's version Runde cue.

Matt B.

You are so right Matt.The butt is bigger than other cues I've had.I use a Hagar extension,for shots that I have trouble reaching,and this butt barely fits into the extension.You have a good eye my friend.All good rolls Matt.Have a great night.
Marc

Last edited:

Twice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a purpleheart bumperless Runde Hoppe made in the fall of 2013 that is just like yours , without the year. I'm not sure when he identifies the year and when he doesn't

Nice cue you have!

Runde_Butt_zps984e9bb1.jpg

Last edited:

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
Thanks Twice.I like yours too.I spoke with Bob Runde last week and he said there is no "cut off" as to when his cues have the year or don't,and when I described my cue to him he told me he thinks it is about 15 years old.It does play really well,and I enjoy playing with this cue.I played tonight for a couple hours and I was hitting em really good.The cue makes a nice sound when it strikes the cue ball,especially without a bumper.
Marc

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every Runde I have seen before 2003 has a year on it. I'll post pics of my 2003 5 veneer Runde shortly. In 02 and 03 he had an "S" after the year to indicate spliced as the cues from 95 to 02 have rounded points.

batalarms

Ebony Hoppe Fanatic
Really nice Patrick.Bob does very nice work.I especially like the inlays and the ring work on yours.That's a great cue you have there.
Marc

Last edited: