BEST POOL HUSTLER FROM OHIO IS Don Willis.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course it's all lies and horsedung.......but it's amusing.
Nobody with a grain of sense believes it really happened. (maybe some old bums with dementia perhaps)
I watched Willis play pool and he was a great player....oddly off the rail on those long ones, I don't think anyone could compare. But the stories all get pumped up as time goes by.
I saw Willis play pretty high stakes poker once. He tried to do a deck switch once that was so bad the cooler fell on the floor......the sweeper girl got it and not a soul looked around or said a word. His entire side of the table was wired into the gaff, looked like to me. His second deals were lousy......(steady licking that thumb).
:wink:

the anecdotes online about this person reference a ton of cheating and stealing

revisionist history is always cute, I'd place money unseen that Mosconi would have destroyed him

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

revisionist history is always cute, I'd place money unseen that Mosconi would have destroyed him

Straight Pool - yes, of course.

9 Ball - no.

IMHO

Dale

GoldenFlash

Banned
Hindsight and reflections........

They'd ALL cheat..........if they thought they could get away with it.
And yet some of them are held up as heroes. re: That guy "Freddie The Beard" who liked to make brags about playing on air barrels, how many "guns we had in Chicago", how tough so-and-so was, and other such crap. (Freddie The Beard just never ran into one of those tush hog "good ole boys" fresh out of Brushy Mountain, who would've gouged out his eyes and made him their sissy girl.)
The pool shooting world is better off without them, in my opinion.
And yes......I cheated too. But I grew out of it, quit, and put that rotten lifestyle behind me. I was no mister goody-two-shoes back then.....but I had the sense to change.
And the final curtain for me isn't that far away on the horizon anyway... When I'll have to stand before the mercy of my maker. It happens a lot sooner than anyone ever thinks.
(yes Duckie, there IS such a thing as a horizon) :)

jgpool

Cue ball draw with this?
Silver Member
????

According to Wiki he was known to have made 42 wing-shots IN A ROW!! I've seen David Matlock shoot 8-10 but 42? Freakin' insane.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a wing-shot? Thanks in advance.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a wing-shot? Thanks in advance.

You take an object ball and roll it down the table. As it's rolling you shoot the cue ball and make the object ball in the far corner pocket. Get the picture. The faster you roll the object ball, the harder the shot becomes. To make it even more difficult you place two more object balls down table maybe a diamond out from the corner pocket and six inches apart. Now you have to shoot the rolling object ball between them and into the corner. Once again I've never seen anyone do this better than Willis.

Forget about those who would knock him on here. He was the real deal and he would wow them today if he were still alive. Sometimes amazes me that people think that just because someone lived forty or fifty years ago they wouldn't have the same or better skills then players today. No one today banks as good as Eddie Taylor PERIOD! Sorry if anyone is offended by that remark but it remains true for me. I wonder what Truman Hogue would say if you asked him. And he played Taylor when he was a youngster.

Hojokid33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe I saw little Miami get drilled at northfield billiards(around 2001)in one pocket and 9 ball. He was a little older then, maybe about 60ish. Got drilled one handed player chuck known as "cheese". Very short gentlemen. Was he a mailman?