What do you do when in a slump?

Shooter1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been playing pool for 45 years, currently a 7 handicap in APA & 8 and 9 ball. Every now and then, you hit a rough stretch where you just ain't feelin' it, but I don't think I've ever been in a stretch like now, (about three weeks). Every time my opponent misses, I'm stuck to the gum, have a 2 rail kick shot, or, if I have a decent shot on my first ball, the rest of the balls are married up and I can't string anything together. And for the most part, my opponents aren't safe-ing me on purpose, it's predominately "the rolls".

When things aren't going my way, I try to tighten my game up some and focus more, make sure my routine is there, practice/re-confirm fundamentals, watch for bad habits creeping in and dig a little deeper. Actually last night I finally rained balls in league 9-ball but I know it was a large part because my break was working and the balls opened up well on virtually all of my breaks. I don't think my shot execution was much better than at any other time in the distant past.

At any rate, this long winded diatribe is my way of asking, what do you guys do when the rolls go against you for what seems like a long period of time?

Thanks

12310bch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's never going to get any better . Kill yourself now. Leave your stick and all your money to me and I
will start the, "Shooter One Slumper Foundation," to help all the other pool shooters out there who whine about ,"The Rolls."

DCS_SF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always go back to fundamentals (which sounds like you do too). I start working on stroke and finding that little tiny change that needs improvement. I accept the further slump that usually causes and then start pulling out of it. It usually works. Other times you just some out of it naturally and it was some mental issue.

Also taking a week off can occasionally really help me.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
You need one of these,
...works every time

Attachments

• SB.PNG
    SB.PNG
    20.6 KB · Views: 779

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bad rolls, mucked up tables, is pool. I don't classify this as a slump because it's out of your control, but on the other hand if your missing routine breakouts and makeable starter balls and are the cause of your bad rolls then Yes you are in a slump! I don't compare losing a lot to be in a slump ether, you could be playing Shane Van Boeing and playing the best pool of your life and not win a game (not a slump) lol

But when I get a slump or more realistic a burnt out feeling, I'll find that one thing that makes pool fun again, a different tourney, old pool hall you liked but don't frequent, a road trip etc. whatever you need to do to play for fun and not for the outcome! This will make you hungry again!

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As mvp stated, bad rolls is not a slump. The only way I know to overcome playing someone that gets consistent good rolls is to change your mentality about them. Stop looking at it as good rolls on your opponents part. Instead, start looking it as what opportunities you do have when you approach the table.

If you are playing a pro or near pro level player, you will always be hooked or have a bad shot when you get to the table. So, now is a good time to get used to that feeling and if you fall short on your turn at the table, then you know clearly what you need to be practicing.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Simplify. Make sure your alignment is good, take shorter strokes and follow easier patterns until you can gain confidence.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Silver Member
On the definition of a "slumpbuster", after being pressed by host Jim Rome in a now-infamous 2003 interview on the television show "Rome is Burning" to clarify the baseball slang term (this is the "official" word-for-word transcript from the interview)...
"A slumpbuster is if a team's in a slump, or if you personally are in a slump, you gotta find the fatest, gnarliest, grossest chick and you just gotta lay the wood to her. And when you do that, you're just gonna have instant success. And it could also be called jumping on a grenade for the team."

http://www.markgrace.com/quotes.html

RunoutJJ

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Dont play for a few weeks and then hit the tables and relax. Works everytime for me :thumbup:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't play for a week or two seems to be the most common cure.

So true , I find not only in pool but when I played golf I'd peak play real good for awhile then bam it goes the other way , I'm figuring that as a am and.not under a watchful eye bad habits creep in and they get so bad the game goes south
When you lay off for a bit your natural practiced fundamentals come back to the top

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
For me, I acknowledge it. My slumps have always been about mechanics so I try to recheck the basics and the fundamentals.

If that doesn't work over a short period of time, I ask a trusted pool buddy to check out my game from afar. That's never failed to work.

Hope this is helpful. -Z-

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get away from the table....take some time off......if you can't due to your league schedule,
then don't practice except for 15 -20 mins before league.......you have to take a mental nap
away from the game to refresh your attitude and approach......you don't play out of a slump
and it will go away by itself as long as your fundamentals are good and you adhere to them.