Mosconi Cup USA Selection changed.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading all the comments, today and over the past years, it's clear to me that few people understand that great individual players do not necessarily make great team players. I repeat: Great individual players do not necessarily make great team players!

Mark Wilson gets this and has a history of coaching winning teams. If you think it's a good idea to break up a team because they didn't win in their first appearance at the MC, you know little about team play. Changing players every year will not make the US team suddenly better than the Euros, who (though they don't always have the same players) play as a team, practice together, support each other...and get along with each other.
+1 Correct. That is why Mark Wilson is most suitable captain, he employs some professional and scientific management techniques

Ok guys and gals, I think this should clear up some of the questions. I spoke with Luke Riches the man who runs the Mosconi Cup to get some clarifications for everyone. Below is what he wrote to me so these are not my words or my interpretation.

The ranking will comprise a number of events culminating in the US Open in October.
The series of events and the points system to be used will be announced in the near future.

- There will be points awarded to players eligible for Team USA, who finish in the top 32. 'Eligible players' simply means players eligible to represent USA in international sports competition ie not overseas nationals who live in the USA.

- The top three players at the close of the ranking series will qualify for the Mosconi Cup side.

- The remaining two spots will be wild cards selected by the team captain, who will once again be Mark Wilson.
Thanks for the clarif
Aside from the change to rankings determination, the big positive is that Mark Wilson is confirmed as captain

at the very least NOT SOUND SCOTTISH! :p
Say that to Arnie
hasta-la-vista-baby-212x300.jpg
:D

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Arnie can be governor of California but never president and NEVER ON THE US MOSCONI CUP TEAM (according to itsfroze but not really see: Charlie Williams).

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
After reading all the comments, today and over the past years, it's clear to me that few people understand that great individual players do not necessarily make great team players. I repeat: Great individual players do not necessarily make great team players!

Mark Wilson gets this and has a history of coaching winning teams. If you think it's a good idea to break up a team because they didn't win in their first appearance at the MC, you know little about team play. Changing players every year will not make the US team suddenly better than the Euros, who (though they don't always have the same players) play as a team, practice together, support each other...and get along with each other.

Just my opinion, but I do have experience in team play going back to 1966, and have captained, coached or played on scores of championship teams, including at the state and national level.

What teams or champions has Mark Wilson coached that have won anything? I am not talking tee ball, or a lesson on how to stand.
I have searched and found nothing, maybe my search skills are lacking.
He sat in the stands like a mummy; his eyes were as big as a deer in the headlights. He looked to be in awe of his surroundings, caught up in the moment. Shane did more coaching than him.

Wilson had months with a plan, and Navy Seals (Give me a break)
Team Euro said they had a few days together before the Mosconi Cup.
Johan Ruijsink as coach had a week at best from what I understand.

I agree great players do not make a great team.
I have plenty experience myself locally and nationally, and not tee ball.

Just my opinion,
Mark Wilson is overrated all the way around.
The people running the show need a changing of the guard.
The Mosconi Cup is more a disaster now than it has ever been.

The Olympic Committee views pool like beer pong.
Win or lose, all of us pool players will be watching next year throwing our opinions around, starting with myself.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope the best in USA can be in Mosconi team

My Dream Team USA

Earl Strickland (Team Captain)
Johny Archer
Rodney Morris
Corey Deuel
Shane Van Boening

Coach: Mike Sigel or Jim Rempe.

I hope it can be happened this year :D
Substitute Dennis Hatch for Corey Deuel and you'd have the exact same team that lost 11-2 in 2013.

I'm not saying that your dream team shouldn't represent the USA in 2015 because I'd actually like to see that lineup as well. However, Earl can not be allowed to act the way he did in 2013. After watching antics throughout the tournament, I completely understand why he wasn't allowed to participate in 2014.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Ok guys and gals, I think this should clear up some of the questions. I spoke with Luke Riches the man who runs the Mosconi Cup to get some clarifications for everyone. Below is what he wrote to me so these are not my words or my interpretation.

The ranking will comprise a number of events culminating in the US Open in October.
The series of events and the points system to be used will be announced in the near future.

- There will be points awarded to players eligible for Team USA, who finish in the top 32. 'Eligible players' simply means players eligible to represent USA in international sports competition ie not overseas nationals who live in the USA.

- The top three players at the close of the ranking series will qualify for the Mosconi Cup side.

- The remaining two spots will be wild cards selected by the team captain, who will once again be Mark Wilson.

Yes those were the logical, obvious answers given by Luke. It amazes me sometimes how people want to try to make more out of nothing, just to get noticed. When in the end, it simply makes them look stupid for trying to argue about a point that doesn't need to be made.

Some people on this site need to be seen and not heard.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
Mark Wilson tried to do something and went with a largely unknown young team. That was a novelty last year and the fans watched, but if Team USA keeps being a bunch of young unknown players who never travel internationally for events and who are largely unknown outside of their regional tours or the USA gambling scene that would seriously start to hurt the interest in the event, especially in Europe where most of the fans are, and where they do not know who a guy like Justin Hall or Jeremy Sossei even is.

Largely???

There were two young players on the team. If they are unknown to you, then you don't know much about pool.

Oh and one of the young players BY FAR played better than anyone else on Team USA throughout the competition.

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
When I become moderator, I will ban the use of words such as 'lol', 'pttf', etc.

It won't make that much of a difference actually to the posting community because you are the only one that conveys your thoughts using them.

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My question of are any U.S. players already ineligible for the U.S. Mosconi Cup Team
in 2015 still hasn't been answered. Just want an answer is all.
:

Why don't you just ask the question that you really want to know?

What I think you are asking is that are there any players who are on a secret list
whom Matchroom or Mark Wilson would not want to participate in their events for reasons other than nationality.
If Earl, Rodney, Dennis, Johnny, Oscar, Brandon, Jeremy finish in the first three of the MRUS Rankings then they would be pretty certain to play.
But it might be different when it comes to picking the two wild cards.

spanky79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
some guys went to china, cant be at derby terrible way to get points with conflicting events

Diego Lugano

Registered
Substitute Dennis Hatch for Corey Deuel and you'd have the exact same team that lost 11-2 in 2013.

I'm not saying that your dream team shouldn't represent the USA in 2015 because I'd actually like to see that lineup as well. However, Earl can not be allowed to act the way he did in 2013. After watching antics throughout the tournament, I completely understand why he wasn't allowed to participate in 2014.

Well Earl now not same as he do in late 90's and early 2000's.
I doubt Rodney and Earl will join Mosconi team this year.

and Mark Wilson maybe do same again like last Year.
I hope i wrong

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Lindenwood University
That much I did research.
I did not count this as a premier coaching job for reasons why. The players on that team spot him the 5 out, he didn't mold them.

Lindenwood sophomore Landon Shuffett broke a 2-year old record of 117, set by his teammate Sean Sommers in 2012. But Landon's 118 was short-lived, as freshman Tanner Nickels recorded the first perfect score in UMTPC history just moments later.

I am not witch hunting, if there are going to be claims of greatness I want to see the proof. If he took a team of beginners or hackers I would say that was great work.
I give him 1 star.

Our problem is the overall crappy attitude we as Americans have.
Just look around at what we are breeding as a nation, a bunch of self centered, self entitled, Spoiled, disrespectful, twitter, facebook, look at me; look at me I am special attitudes.

The good ole kick in the butt or slap in the mouth days for being disrespectful days are over.