Stories About the Legendary"St. Louie Louie" - RIP 12/22/91

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rick said "go ask them if we can buy their shovel, plead if you have to"

Tom Ferry did put a move on me, but until you brought it up I had completely forgot. He was a clever man, I do remember never trusting him after we played, just couldn't remember why. He played pretty well, but even at 17 I could have shot him full of holes....I recall just wishing he would gamble with me, I wanted to shoot that "sh*& eating grin" off his face.......and hope his hat fell off with it. ;)

That snow storm must have been one of the worst in St. Louis history. We were snowed in the Grand/Ollive place (I'm not sure why "sportscenter" is stuck in my head) for an entire day, which didn't bother us, as a matter of fact we were glad everyone was trapped, this assured there would be gambling. It would be like shooting ducks out of a barrel.

When we finally were able to leave I had to rush back to go to school (I was a junior in high school). I was with another good player named Rick Thompson from St. Joseph and had to drop him off in Columbia Mo (the columbia billiard center). When we pulled onto I-70 we hit a bank of snow and got stuck with all four wheels completely of the ground. We were helplessly stuck right in the middle of the interstate, it wasn't really dangerous, it's not like there was much traffic. We set there for 15 minutes smoking and drinking (what else do you do when you're 16 and on the road) ;)

About 30 minutes went by and a old pickup truck got stuck just 30-40 ft. ahead of us. A couple guys jumped out of the truck, shovel in hand. They quickly dug their way out and started to get back in their truck.

Rick said "go ask them if we can buy their shovel, plead if you have to" - I immediately jumped out and hurried, snow up to my waste, to the truck up ahead.

"Hi there, we're in a dangerous situation, any way we can use your shovel?" - the guys had us in a very vulnerable position and it was apparent. They settled for $25, I grabbed the shovel and before long we were on our way.....back on the road, and on the road there's never a dull moment......the road was actually our teacher in more ways than one. ;) Merry Christmas Watchez, enjoy the holidays and tell "the St. Louis" boys we're coming for them in February.

From my previous post --- Louie's main hang outs in St Louis in the early years were Affton Billiards, Grand and Olive Billiards (the big pool room that Manwon mentioned) and Saratoga Bowling lanes (also mentioned). Later on he was the house pro at both what is now The Break in Cahokia Il and the Sportscenter in South County. So CJ you probably played him at the Grand and Olive room. I do know that one year, during a huge snow, many players were stuck inside Afton Billiards for over a day.

I didn't correct CJ in his earlier post cause I am always correcting him. :)

Another correction -- Louie was found dead in the house (dining room I believe) in the house he was living in Arizona. The story was the wife came home and found him there.

Also CJ - I have heard this story about Tom Ferry playing you in the finals of the Missouri State Championships. Before the finals started, Tom came up to you and said "Don't worry, just play your normal game, it's all setup". He was wanting you to believe that he was going to dump off the set and had gotten thru other parties side bets for you to win, even though you were the favorite, thus taking your guard down and lowering your game. Then in a race to 6, before you knew it, you were down 4 to nothing (or some score like that) and realized that Tom had put a double move on you. Tom went on to win cause it was too late for you to catch up.

Last edited:

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, here is my Louie Story.
I was in cheap action in a pool room when I got a call from a guy that was suppose to be a friend of mine. He said that there was a guy looking to play and that I could give him the eight. I left that small action to go to the Golden Cue in Rosemead Ca. A room about 45 minutes from where I was.

Here is this guy waiting for me to play some. I was a bit leery about the game because I knew that the guy that called me was a bit too shady for me to believe, even thought I had traveled with him in the past.

How it happen and why I don't remember but we set the game up that I would get the seven when he broke and he would get the seven when I broke. The game was nine ball push out, race to nine for $300.

I won the first set and it was close. We were on a very tight table that had one particular corner pocket that was extremely tight. Well the second set we played with no spot and it came down to me needing two games and he was on the hill. In that game I ran to the eight and wound up with a shot that I decided to push out on because the only shot on the eight was to that very difficult pocket and I didn't like my chances. I thought I had had him in a trap with that pushout because I knew that even with perfect conditions he had no chance to make the eight and draw back to the nine ball, especially since I left him fairly close to the rail. If he had not elected to shoot and passed it back to me I was prepared to play a safe on the eight.

I was happy when he decided to take the shot. To my surprise he jacked up on the shot and fired that eight ball in and drew the cue ball back for the nine. Making that shot to that pocket with the speed that was needed to get back to the nine ball had to be like one in a thousand. He seemed like a nice guy and I was sorry to hear what happen to him.

VonRhett

Friends Call Me "von"
Silver Member
Wow - great memories.

This was 80 or '81, Nashville, Music City Open at the Maxwell House. Day before tourny starts, before players meeting and Calcutta, in the practice/action room.

The room was pretty dull, Louie walks in, sits down, see's no action, and says "What's everyone waiting on? The nuts?". "Yep, as usual" or related was my reply.

Louie jumps up and says, "let's go get some Linguini" and names a place clear across town.

Then he grabs Jimmy Rempe and Alan Hopkins we go out front of the Hotel and Louie demands a Limo, to drive us across town, wait for us and return to the hotel.

Long story short - best linguine of my life. And amazing story telling for 2 hours.

Louie cared more about enjoying life then most of us ever will.

Really cool guy. Hell of a Player too.

RIP Louie.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I knew Louie real well. Staked him, backed him in money games, traveled with him and he also stayed with me in my home. Too many stories to tell on here now. I did put some in my first book, along with a pic or two.

Louie was indeed one of a kind, the single most charismatic man I ever met in a poolroom. Along with Ronnie Allen, Keith and Fats were in his league when it came to popularity. I'm lucky to have know all four of them.

To this day Louie was the best shotmaker I ever saw. No one could match him shot for shot, not Buddy, Earl, Sigel or anyone else! I'll never forget watching him rifle super thin cuts shots down the rail, with the object ball never touching anything but the pocket.

His Elvis impersonation was spot on as well, including the singing. Better than most impersonators today. EVERYBODY loved Louie. I also seriously doubt the circumstances of his death and have heard some insider info which I can't share on here.

He was a hopeless alcoholic the last few years of his life, sad to say.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? In a case of a possible Homicide, suicide, a post Mortem would have been mandatory.

It would have included toxicology. If he was under the influence of any type of Narcotic, it would have come out in the wash.

He was shot so that may have ruled out an over dose.

That is all true. What did the toxicology report reveal?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tom Ferry did put a move on me, but until you brought it up I had completely forgot. He was a clever man, I do remember never trusting him after we played, just couldn't remember why. He played pretty well, but even at 17 I could have shot him full of holes....I recall just wishing he would gamble with me, I wanted to shoot that "sh*& eating grin" off his face.......and hope his hat fell off with it. ;)

That snow storm must have been one of the worst in St. Louis history. We were snowed in the Grand/Ollive place (I'm not sure why "sportscenter" is stuck in my head) for an entire day, which didn't bother us, as a matter of fact we were glad everyone was trapped, this assured there would be gambling. It would be like shooting ducks out of a barrel.

When we finally were able to leave I had to rush back to go to school (I was a junior in high school). I was with another good player named Rick Thompson from St. Joseph and had to drop him off in Columbia Mo (the columbia billiard center). When we pulled onto I-70 we hit a bank of snow and got stuck with all four wheels completely of the ground. We were helplessly stuck right in the middle of the interstate, it wasn't really dangerous, it's not like there was much traffic. We set there for 15 minutes smoking and drinking (what else do you do when you're 16 and on the road) ;)

About 30 minutes went by and a old pickup truck got stuck just 30-40 ft. ahead of us. A couple guys jumped out of the truck, shovel in hand. They quickly dug their way out and started to get back in their truck.

Rick said "go ask them if we can buy their shovel, plead if you have to" - I immediately jumped out and hurried, snow up to my waste, to the truck up ahead.

"Hi there, we're in a dangerous situation, any way we can use your shovel?" - the guys had us in a very vulnerable position and it was apparent. They settled for $25, I grabbed the shovel and before long we were on our way.....back on the road, and on the road there's never a dull moment......the road was actually our teacher in more ways than one. ;) Merry Christmas Watchez, enjoy the holidays and tell "the St. Louis" boys we're coming for them in February.

Tom Ferry also won the Missouri state championship just a few months before he died.