C.J. Wiley VS Keith McCready - What's The Line?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all the talk of hustling, gambling, road players, reality shows, etc., what is the "line" if there is a match of CJ playing Keith in a long race of 2-foul, old-school 9-ball?

Both of them are still capable of hitting the balls rather smartly, given enough notice and practice.

I'd be interested in hearing who people think may take home the cheese if this could be set up and played out.

Aloha.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With all the talk of hustling, gambling, road players, reality shows, etc., what is the "line" if there is a match of CJ playing Keith in a long race of 2-foul, old-school 9-ball?

Both of them are still capable of hitting the balls rather smartly, given enough notice and practice.

I'd be interested in hearing who people think may take home the cheese if this could be set up and played out.

Aloha.

Imagine that. Keith was just talking about C.J. earlier today. I'm sure he'll share his insights on the thread when time allows. :D

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Derby City Match-up

It would be great if Keith and CJ would match up at the Derby City Classic. That would be one for the ages!

Wedge

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I'd think they could take that on the road as long it was on the up & up competition wise.

Who over the age of 40 would not like to see that.

I'd actually hope that they would split fairly even in multiple matches.

I'd just hate to see it go like pro wrestling & be scripted.

Hell, I don't know why CJ does not fly many of his generation into his home room & matchup with Mary Avina filming & doing commentary.

Anyway I'd certainly like to see the match even if was just for the one time.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imagine that. Keith was just talking about C.J. earlier today. I'm sure he'll share his insights on the thread when time allows. :D

JAM,

FWIW, I would have loved to have played Keith way back when I had the chance, but I never got the opportunity. I lived in Riverside, CA for 3 years (1976-79) and I heard his name quite often and LOTS of people told me that I should match up with him. I never made it to San Diego and I never saw him playing anywhere near where I was.

I don't know who would have won at the time, but it would have been fun playing. Back during that time, I played a lot like Keith...aggressive and I liked working the crowd. There used to be more people watching me play than anybody else in the pool halls and bars I played in.

I didn't go looking for anybody to play and didn't frequent any place in particular. I would just "wander" into pool halls and bars and see what happened from there. I played in places that most people were afraid to even go in...biker bars, dives, etc. One of my favorite places to go were Mexican bars,where I may be the only non-Latino in the place. Not the safest places, but I never had any problems because I never tried to "hustle" anyone. I just played, gathered the cash if I could, smiled, entertained, and left. Usually, I was alone...sometimes people would want to go with me to stake me, but I preferred going by myself. I knew I could control myself and my money and I knew I couldn't control other people and their money, so I didn't want them starting anything where there would be trouble. Earlier in my life, I had more than my fair share of having to fight my way out of a place after arguments over me winning all the money so I tried to avoid that.

No matter if I won or lost, people were more entertained by me than they were the pool game. I could run racks, play the jukebox, dance and joke and talk $hit at the same time...same as Keith. Boy, I miss those days. I'm too old (60) blind, and out of stroke to play very well anymore and I only play once a week for a couple hours, but I still can make a few balls when I get lucky...I had a 6-pack not too long ago.

Aloha.

Last edited:

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM,

FWIW, I would have loved to have played Keith way back when I had the chance, but I never got the opportunity. I lived in Riverside, CA for 3 years (1976-79) and I heard his name quite often and LOTS of people told me that I should match up with him. I never made it to San Diego and I never saw him playing anywhere near where I was.

Aloha.

There were several good players who were from the Riverside area at that time. I always wondered what happened to John Borba and Smiley. I also liked the all nighters at Big Mama's and their popular t-shirts.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Based only on the facts that; CJ has been visible to me and playing well in local events and Keith has not I'd say CJ would have a decisive edge. I'd also assume Keith doesn't mind being the underdog.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Keith is 7½ years older at an age where that begins to matter.

Keith has been benched for many years; CJ has been playing quite a bit the last few years.

Just a couple thoughts.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There were several good players who were from the Riverside area at that time. I always wondered what happened to John Borba and Smiley. I also liked the all nighters at Big Mama's and their popular t-shirts.

Mr. Einstein, John Borba quit playing completely and I believe Smiley went to Texas many years ago.
Do you know who HawaiianEye is and should I know him? Or maybe he will PM me to let me know.
I think I knew everyone that could play back in that time.
Regarding the match with Keith and CJ I give the nod to CJ because I'm pretty sure he is still playing some. When they were both in their prime who knows??

Wedge

WO Wedge Lock
Silver Member
Derby City Classic

Don't they still have the "Action Award" at the Derby City Classic? I would suggest that all the folks that think they are the best Hustler/Gambler head on down to the Derby City. Everyone can continue the woofing on AZ, which is quite entertaining, but should have to match up at the Classic for bragging rites to the best hustler/gambler title or else they are just woofing or looking for attention! Doesn't have to be streamed...everyone will find out the results either by attending or on AZ.

Who will step up to the plate?

Wedge

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
Based only on the facts that; CJ has been visible to me and playing well in local events...

Huh? Where? I have seen his name in a few smaller regional events but it has not seemed to have gotten to far on either side of the chart from what I remember.

At least when Keith "was " still competing he showed flashes of brilliance still, none more awesome then that US Open run.

CJ seems to have lost most of his top speed given his tournament finishes. Maybe he is just hiding his speed... but he us hiding it really well imo.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Huh? Where? I have seen his name in a few smaller regional events but it has not seemed to have gotten to far on either side of the chart from what I remember.

At least when Keith "was " still competing he showed flashes of brilliance still, none more awesome then that US Open run.

CJ seems to have lost most of his top speed given his tournament finishes. Maybe he is just hiding his speed... but he us hiding it really well imo.

Tourny speed means little in this case

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Well, good news is that if they play you and I can sweat bet it..

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know who HawaiianEye is and should I know him?

Nobody knows me. I grew up in a pool hall in South East MO and played a lot around that area before I went in the military in the early 70's and played most of my pool overseas. I lived in the Philippines and played every day at the same time Efren lived there and I never ran into him either. Nobody had ever heard of him back then, but I did see Jose Parica on San Miguel TV commercials though. I later found out that Efren was a friend of the Filipino guy who worked racking the balls for me at the club on Clark Air Base. The Philippines was the place to be for playing pool even then...lots of people played and there were plenty of money games.

I never went into Filipino pool halls much back then because I didn't like the conditions and there was just as much money to be made playing around the bars and bases. I played every Filipino who wanted to play in the bars on both the bar tables and the big tables. And when I was in the Philippines it was during Martial Law and kind of like the Wild Wild West. If you traveled into Manila to hit the big pool halls with any real cash, you better have at least two or three armed body guards.

There was a young Filipino guy (about 18 or so) who used to wander up and down the strip selling handmade Filipino cues (the better quality ones) who used to try to rob all the Americans and GIs playing pool. I can't remember his name, but I think he may have played out of the same pool hall as Efren. He tried robbing me when I first met him, but he never got the job done. I always took his money, but he came back a few time times until he finally figured out it wasn't a winning proposition. he then left me alone and went on to robbing other people. I always wondered whatever became of him and how good he ever became.

From what I see today, it looks like pool is still as big there as it was when I lived there...Jay seems to love it.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
....in a long race of 2-foul, old-school 9-ball?....

This version of nine ball, which is the version I played when I was young, is close to unwatchable and is rightly dead. If we're going to bring back the dead, how about Keith vs. Abraham Lincoln?

brandonspitler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gentleman....

I was fortunate enough many years ago to play Keith McKready in a one-pocket tourney in Kentucky. I had seen him play many times and I had witnessed the good and the bad at the action tables a few times as well, with the drinking and all. But I will honestly say, when we played, he was a COMPLETE and total gentleman. A great great guy, and a pleasure to play and learn from. And even better that I played very well lol, as it went hill-hill, and I needed both balls left on the table.... I shot a combo, and hung the ball in my hole, and Keith proceeded to bank the head ball of the combo (my out ball), cross corner for the win. He complimented me on good shots and when the match was over, we shook hands and I felt like I'd known the guy forever lol.

It takes a pretty cool person to make that kind of impression on me, and he did.

Great guy, and whatever he does, I'm pulling for his success.

Brandon Lee Spitler.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This version of nine ball, which is the version I played when I was young, is close to unwatchable and is rightly dead. If we're going to bring back the dead, how about Keith vs. Abraham Lincoln?

I didn't know Lincoln was a 9-ball player, but I don't care what type 9-ball they play. I'd watch any game they matched up in.

To each their own. I've played every kind of pool game, to include snooker, and the most boring and dead game to me is one pocket. As much as it may be a good gambling game, I'd much rather watch something with a faster pace.

Today's 9-ball is too boring because of the one-foul rule, if you ask me. Players either have a "locked" shot or they hide and play safe. Playing 2-foul you used to see players shoot HARDER shots with "lower" percentage chances to get position because they KNEW they could push out should they miss position and not have a shot. The only thing they had to worry about was scratching. That alone encouraged "aggressive" players like Earl, Keith, and others to go for shots that almost nobody would go for in today's playing environment.

boogeyman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Aloha.

This matchup would be anti-climatic.

CJ would roooooob Keith. First off, Keith is so far past his prime, it's not even funny.
Keith still has personality (and that's probably why he was picked up for that Hustler's show), but his game is gone.
This is even despite CJ being involved in others things beside pool.

This match would only be interesting inasmuch as it garners nostalgia.

Personally I have no interest watching Keith play pool anymore.
I would rather sit down and have a great chat with him. Would be much more interesting.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This matchup would be anti-climatic.

CJ would roooooob Keith. First off, Keith is so far past his prime, it's not even funny.
Keith still has personality (and that's probably why he was picked up for that Hustler's show), but his game is gone.
This is even despite CJ being involved in others things beside pool.

This match would only be interesting inasmuch as it garners nostalgia.

Personally I have no interest watching Keith play pool anymore.
I would rather sit down and have a great chat with him.

First off I would never underestimate Keith's ability and secondly CJ on his best day never had anything close to Keith's gear the only one that kept Keith down was Keith