Gabriels 10 Ft Pool Table

Allen Brown

Pool Whale
Silver Member
No quotes available on their quote options for pool tables yet. I wonder what the price tag will be.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
No quotes available on their quote options for pool tables yet. I wonder what the price tag will be.

More than a Diamond, and 2" thick slate is a joke. After the experiences I've had with Gabriel tables, I know I won't be having anything to do with them.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More than a Diamond, and 2" thick slate is a joke. After the experiences I've had with Gabriel tables, I know I won't be having anything to do with them.

Care to elaborate? I can't find much info on the Gabriel tables, and would like to hear
from someone with experience, like yourself, on why you like or dislike the Diamond, Gabriel, or GC. I have a GC IV now, and someday would like to get another table. I am looking at the GC V, Diamond Pro, or Paragon(if it ever gets a ball return), or Gabriel. I would like to hear the pros and cons on each if you have time?.....I'm not interested in furniture looking tables, just the table that plays the best, and doesn't have problems a few years down the road. Thanks!

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When doing some research on the Gabriel carom tables I see that they use granite instead of slate. Is this better than slate or just better for a heated surface?....Thanks!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
When doing some research on the Gabriel carom tables I see that they use granite instead of slate. Is this better than slate or just better for a heated surface?....Thanks!

I've never seen a Gabriel billiard table with granite instead of slate, and I've worked on several over the years as Diamond was their importer for years before they dropped the Gabriel tables for distribution.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Care to elaborate? I can't find much info on the Gabriel tables, and would like to hear
from someone with experience, like yourself, on why you like or dislike the Diamond, Gabriel, or GC. I have a GC IV now, and someday would like to get another table. I am looking at the GC V, Diamond Pro, or Paragon(if it ever gets a ball return), or Gabriel. I would like to hear the pros and cons on each if you have time?.....I'm not interested in furniture looking tables, just the table that plays the best, and doesn't have problems a few years down the road. Thanks!

Gabriel tables are built with way to much MDF in the legs and rail blinds for my liking, as well as few other things I don't care to much about. Metric hardware and impossible to get parts is another problem, and the facings in the pockets are about 3/8" thick because they don't build the rails long enough to tighten the pockets to 4 1/2 " so they rely on facings way to thick to make up for the huge pockets. I've said enough already.

Glen

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gabriel tables are built with way to much MDF in the legs and rail blinds for my liking, as well as few other things I don't care to much about. Metric hardware and impossible to get parts is another problem, and the facings in the pockets are about 3/8" thick because they don't build the rails long enough to tighten the pockets to 4 1/2 " so they rely on facings way to thick to make up for the huge pockets. I've said enough already.

Glen

Is this the case for their carambole tables too?

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never seen a Gabriel billiard table with granite instead of slate, and I've worked on several over the years as Diamond was their importer for years before they dropped the Gabriel tables for distribution.

This is from their website...they have 3 carom tables listed and they all say granite playing field. Looks like they use granite in their legs too. They are coming out with a new sentinel pool table like the op said, I wonder if they fixed some of the problems you referred to:

Hermes

Base-frame of 6 solid Granite legs with 1 leveler each
Steel frame in UPN 100 x 50 mm profile, 24 levelling-points
Advanced heating system, foil-type, 1000 Watts with remote controlled thermostat
Granite playing field, 3 pieces, 60 mm
Rail construction in wood-composite with 42 railbolts
Kleber P 37 rubbers, quadrangular

Also...what makes a Diamond that much better than a GC?

Thanks!

Medalist

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ive played extensively on Gabrial 9 ft 4.5 inch pocket tables and they are amazing. So similar to Diamonds but without the over springy rails. Of course I no nothing but the playability. First State Billiards in Dover closed so Im wondering where their 4 Gabrials ended up. Any Clues?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
This is from their website...they have 3 carom tables listed and they all say granite playing field. Looks like they use granite in their legs too. They are coming out with a new sentinel pool table like the op said, I wonder if they fixed some of the problems you referred to:

Hermes

Advanced heating system, foil-type, 1000 Watts with remote controlled thermostat

Thanks!

The difference between a GC and a Diamond is substantial. When I'm rebuilding a GC for example, there's way more repairs need to get the GC to play on the same level as a Diamond, but that also has a lot to do with fixing a lot of damage done by everyone else that has already worked on the table in the past. I don't ever come across a Diamond with all miss matched parts, and I seldom ever work on a GC that has all matching parts.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have spent a good bit of time playing on granite bet carom tables and I could never tell the difference.

Hermes

Thanks!

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference between a GC and a Diamond is substantial. When I'm rebuilding a GC for example, there's way more repairs need to get the GC to play on the same level as a Diamond, but that also has a lot to do with fixing a lot of damage done by everyone else that has already worked on the table in the past. I don't ever come across a Diamond with all miss matched parts, and I seldom ever work on a GC that has all matching parts.

I understand where you are coming from when talking about working on used tables, and having to repair other peoples mistakes. What I am trying to find out is the manufacturing quality of the table. For example: If I ordered the following tables brand new in the box never been assembled: GC V, Diamond Pro or Paragon, or a Gabriel(I know the configuration of the new one is not out yet)....what would be the better table as far as quality of materials, playability, and reliability? Does one company have better slate, wood, levelers, rubber....etc? Also do you think that having steel as a support structure affects the table in a negative or positive way? Thanks...I am not a fanboy of any table...I have a 9' GC IV with a Diamond light. I just got a good deal on the GC at the time, but I want to make an intelligent decision on my next purchase.

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this could be the mother and mecca of all pool tables

import costs will run steep I suspect

between this, the upcoming gold crown revamp and of course Diamond's offerings, good time to be in the market for a new table

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seems to me that granite would be much harder than slate, so the trick shot artists would have more trouble setting up shots that need a ball tapped into position.

To put it another way, granite would stay smoother longer, and, therefore, would be the superior choice.

Am I wandering from unwarranted assumption to illogical conclusion?
:grin:

Cushions are "Astro Pro".
Didn't find anything about the manufacturer.
Used to brag about the rails by Artemis.
???

Last edited:

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I understand where you are coming from when talking about working on used tables, and having to repair other peoples mistakes. What I am trying to find out is the manufacturing quality of the table. For example: If I ordered the following tables brand new in the box never been assembled: GC V, Diamond Pro or Paragon, or a Gabriel(I know the configuration of the new one is not out yet)....what would be the better table as far as quality of materials, playability, and reliability? Does one company have better slate, wood, levelers, rubber....etc? Also do you think that having steel as a support structure affects the table in a negative or positive way? Thanks...I am not a fanboy of any table...I have a 9' GC IV with a Diamond light. I just got a good deal on the GC at the time, but I want to make an intelligent decision on my next purchase.
Fact:
GC uses superspeed cushions
diamond uses Artemis
Gabriel uses Artemis now astro pro?

I personally prefer superspeed!

The problem is transitioning from superspeed and Artemis!

They bank different! IMO

The Gabriel with thick pocket facing suck! balls stay up more often that should not! That needs fixing. A good mechanic could modify.

The diamond had cushion height issues. Now, the rock hard rails and Artemis will play different then your GC! They make some without dymondwood not sure but superspeed could be used on a diamond? One bmore pool room has Artemis on a GC! Still banks funny and plays deceptive! IMO

GC made mistakes too! Pick your poison. No matter the choice the mechanic needs a call. Not right 100% out of the box!

I am not a fan of the metal slate frames! Just me. Keep the GC not going to get better or more enjoyment. Only way to upgrade is to go old school Brunswick with the jumbo frame!

Kd

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Seems to me that granite would be much harder than slate, so the trick shot artists would have more trouble setting up shots that need a ball tapped into position.

To put it another way, granite would stay smoother longer, and, therefore, would be the superior choice.

Am I wandering from unwarranted assumption to illogical conclusion?
:grin:

Cushions are "Astro Pro".
Didn't find anything about the manufacturer.
Used to brag about the rails by Artemis.
???

No merit to your assumptions. Rock playing surfaces have no effect on tapping balls to stay in place, but cloth does. The finished surface of the slate, granite, or marble surface is never, ever...ever going to "wear out, or change" no matter how much it's played or, or for how many years the tables in use. Granite my be a cost choice over using slate from Brazil, but it certainly is not going to provide a better table.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Well, one thing for sure is, Diamond tables hold their value once purchased. Brunswick and Gabriel tables crash in value the second they're set up and paid for, by about 65-70%;)

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member

Glen

Glen:

I would agree with you on the excessive use of MDF and scarcity of parts, that's something that would make working on these tables a real challenge. On the occasional furniture repair that friends and family ask me to get involved in, I swear like a sailor when I encounter MDF -- it's like working with dried oatmeal.

But the metric thing I'll have to disagree with you. The USA is backwards-ass as all hell in still using the imperial system, when the world has moved on to the [significantly better, more accurate, and easier to remember] metric system. We Americans have to be fleet-footed in being able to switch between the imperial and metric systems, because the rest of the world has already moved on and left us behind. We're going to have to 100% convert at some point, but not while we Americans think the world still revolves around us. :rolleyes:

-Sean

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Glen:

I would agree with you on the excessive use of MDF and scarcity of parts, that's something that would make working on these tables a real challenge. On the occasional furniture repair that friends and family ask me to get involved in, I swear like a sailor when I encounter MDF -- it's like working with dried oatmeal.

But the metric thing I'll have to disagree with you. The USA is backwards-ass as all hell in still using the imperial system, when the world has moved on to the [significantly better, more accurate, and easier to remember] metric system. We Americans have to be fleet-footed in being able to switch between the imperial and metric systems, because the rest of the world has already moved on and left us behind. We're going to have to 100% convert at some point, but not while we Americans think the world still revolves around us. :rolleyes:

-Sean

I hear what you're saying, but when you're trying to set up a Gabriel Signature Pro 9ft, and it's missing most of the metric hardware to do just that, then have to hunt through 4 different Home Depot stores in an effort to buy enough "metric" nuts and bolts to assemble that pool table....let me know how that works out for you...LOL