****stolen 1953 balabuska**** dallas, tx.

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
****stolen 1957balabuska**** dallas, tx R.I.P, Gene Burns

copied/pasted from my facebook post

****STOLEN 1957 BALABUSKA**** DALLAS, TX.
Please repost and share with everyone !!!

update/correction - just spoke with Gene. He says he bought in 1957, not 53

This cue was stolen from the Billiard Den last week. It belongs to Gene Burns. A lot of people in the pool family know him, he been around forever. Very nice older gentlemen , i think mid 80's , always wears his war veteran cap.

He bought this cue new and has owned it for over 50 years. The cue is all original and in perfect brand new condition. He hand waxed the cue since it was new.

As a friend and admirer of Gene, i am absolutely sick that someone took his cue. So lets pull to together pool family, and get this man his cue back !!!

Please share this with everyone and be on the look out for it.

Attachments

• IMG_4560.jpg
    IMG_4560.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 3,955
  • IMG_4561.jpg
    IMG_4561.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 3,943
  • IMG_4559.jpg
    IMG_4559.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 3,874
  • IMG_4558.jpg
    IMG_4558.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 3,944
Last edited:

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Geez, what a shame! That would be like losing one of my kids!

Believe me, Daddy would go a huntin'!

Stones

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
he's real old and kinda frail, so I'm on the hunt for him. sickening. nicest old man ever. He would let any of the local players around here play a few games with it since he cant play anymore.

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
Of course, check as many pawn shops as possible. Also, take pics of the cue to give to the store owners.

Stones

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My condolences. I hope your friend gets that beautiful piece of work back.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
is it signed as it appears to be in the 2nd pic?

could the old timer be off by a score or three with regards to when he acquired the cue

hope he gets his cue back

Txstang1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i took those pics last year with my phone, so i cant tell. I'll ask him again.

Going off of memory, i dont think it had any markings on it. does that sound right or were they all marked ? i dont know that much about them

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Well its not a 53 that is for certain. it is not a 63 as it would be a titlist..

JV

jayman

Hi Mom!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The colors in the forearm are similar to the 1976 Gus Bicentennial blanks. There wasn't anything like this in the fifties. I don't know if it's a Balabuska or not, but it is a very 1970's looking cue in my opinion. Whatever it is, I hope he gets it back!
Here is an example of what I'm referring to thanks to Tate.

The upper cue is the Szamboti Bicentennial blank, subdued colors, clean veneer work, the lower cue is a Model 11 from the 3rd catalog, made around the same time with a standard forearm.

Szamboti_Bi-centennial_2.jpg

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member
Wow really hope he gets it back ill keep eye out on ebay and craigslist hope we can find it for him

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
Hearing this makes me sick to my stomach. I remember when I accidently left my cue at the bar and I luckily knew all the people that work there so I got it back. But it was one of the worse feelings realizing I left my cue behind. I can't even comprehend how he must feel about this. I wish him nothing but the best of luck. With a cue like that it won't go unnoticed if someone tries to sell it.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
txstang;

Please post the circumstances of the cue's disappearance as this could prove helpful.

As much detail regarding the how why where and when.

beautiful cue whatever it is, it was his treasure.

GL in getting it back.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I hope whoever gets it back for him shows the snake that took it some Texas Justice I've heard about. Johnnyt

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
In addition to posting at the pawn shops, reach out to other pool hall owners, league owners, and tournament directors. Good luck

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Sorry the cue was stolen and I hope he gets it back but I highly doubt it was a Bushka.... As far as I know, the only "long" prongs George used were from Gus. The prong length in comparison with the gap between them at the wrap is too long and the gap too wide. Not to mention the exposed thin black ring at the bottom of the points. Never saw that that on a Gus or Bushka cue? They either have a distinct ring set or the points go directly "into" the wrap...Not Gus's prongs, not a Bushka...

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I'd at least post pictures and ask local businesses if you can put flyers in the womens bathrooms at local establishments, put up $1,000 reward and see how the chips fall.