Stories About the Legendary"St. Louie Louie" - RIP 12/22/91

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
A sad flashback for many of us - today is the anniversary of "St. Louie Louie's" passing in Arizona. I saw him a week or so earlier in Las Vegas, never dreaming that it would be the last time.

I know there's a lot of stories about Louie Roberts. I played him the first time in St. Louis when 16 years old at Grand and Gravios - Louie was an incredible player and charismatic personality. Like Tony Ellin, it was a tragedy to see such a great champion leave so early.

Anyone have adventures you'd care to share about "St. Louie Louie"?

10857902_10205212555691819_624325742083093701_n.jpg

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i hope we get some stories,i had several encounters with louie
he was certainly a great player

i heard that he ran 150 balls from the break in 14:1,
good idea by cj,who has plenty of stories himself

dean

buzzsaw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got to play Louis back in the mid 70s. We played a race to 9 in 9 ball. I was actually up 7 to 3 and missed an easy 7 ball to get on the hill. I never saw the object for the rest of the match. When I played a leave he would kick in 3 or 4 rails every time. The guy was amazing.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was ruled a suicide, however, there are many that believe otherwise

It was ruled a suicide, however, there are many that believe otherwise. Maybe someone will disclose this, I don't have the facts to share at this time.

Louie%20Roberts%20boy%20wonder.jpg

I wasn't following pool back then so forgive me for my ignorance, but how did he die?

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I no longer live in St Louis - moved when I retired to get away from the crime.

If you want a story about Louie walk into any pool hall in St Louis and ask an old guy about Louie. If one guy told you some fantastic story about him you might not believe it. When you hear it everywhere you go - believe it.

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of all the pool greats I have read about, this guy intrigues me the most. a tragic hero of the sport with remarkable skill. His death and the events surrounding it really haunt me when I hear his name.

Thank you, CJ for starting this thread. I never got to see him play in person, but his legend is just as great as his skill on the table.

Rest in peace, indeed.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://vimeo.com/28806145

i was lucky to see him play many times one of the best shot makers ever
he was a great 2 shot roll out player and he always made the game fun to be around

At 7:30 of that video Louie introduces Bill Hendricks. I'm not sure if Bill is still around, I no longer live in St Louis, but in his prime he was an outstanding 14.1 player. He owned a Burton Spain cue made for him by Spain.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
First met Louie between 74 and 76 when he got it on with Kieth.

It was like ALI vs FRASIER, the atmosphere was electric, money in the middle piled high and the rail bettin it up.

The war raged on with both gaining and losing ground, suddenly Kieth caught a gear and zip-it-d-do-da, it was over. A 6 or 7 pack from hell. i remember Louie workin the rail for another set which he also lost.

Got a replay a year or 2 later with pretty much the same result. It seems like Mike Carillo (monster player from Fla) was lurking, but, i don't think he got down with anybody.

At that time Louie played sooo good that the only players with the ability to fade him were Buddy, Searcy, Cardone and Kieth. Louie hit em thin to win playing 2 shot foul better than any livin, or dead, human.

His worst games were 1P ( would shoot at too many flyers) and bar table pool with the big ball ( relied on " draw" too much).

Louie was also a stone stud with the girlies...i digress

By the late 80's he had been ravaged by booze and drugs, i saw him playing $300 8 ball @ The Rack and he was so fu%@ed up that he toppled over while pulling balls from the tray in order to rack.

Didn't see him for a year or 2 prior to his death so i have no idea where he was coming from, but, the word in this area is that it wasn't suicide.

Besides St Louis he probably spent more time here than any where else so some of us got to know him fairly well

Another yardstick to measure his speed was he was known to go anywhere and give anybody he didn't know the 5, he didn't always cash but he banked a lot more than he blew

DAMN shame that we lost him...

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
You can catch a glimpse of Louie as the players are registering for the tourney in Atlantic City in the TCOM. They also announce 'the incomparable St Louie Louie' for one of the matches as they are getting towards the finals.

I have stories, some I have already told on here before......I posted this back in 2009.
Watchez is here.....busy day at work.

Anyways, and I have posted many of this before....but here is what I know and don't know: (sorry for the long read but I have been accused by one person on here over and over that I don't know what I am talking about so I feel the need to post a lot of what I know to justify myself).

The first time I saw Louie was 1987. I went to the pool room as a customer that knew nothing about pool but banging balls with my friends. I saw the roped off pit table, Louie wearing some World Championship 9 ball hoodie, drilling some guy and beating him out of his cash and his pool stick. Afterwards, Louie turned to a guy to pay him $10 for a ride home. I had no idea what I was actually watching or how good Louie was compared to the rest of the world but was thinking, this guy plays this good and has to pay for a ride home.

Louie was the greatest 9 ball player that I ever saw. He was still playing great and making shots that no one else could at the time of his death. A year before he died I saw him give Joe Woolford (probably rated the best 9 ball player besides Louie in St Louis at the time) the 6 ball and rob him out of 3 sets. It was a joke and the best 9 ball that I ever saw played - even til this day. Joe's backer got up on a chair, hooting and hollering at one point while Louie was shooting. Louie turned to him and said, 'Dave - I don't care what you do. You can yell, scream, jump up and down, just don't touch me or the table. I am hypnotized and can't be sharked'. Dave proceeded to get up on a chair screaming and waving his arms then ran around the table like a mad man as Louie ran out. Louie didn't need clean balls or perfect conditions to play good.

Louie's main hang outs in St Louis in the early years were Affton Billiards, Grand and Olive Billiards (the big pool room that Manwon mentioned) and Saratoga Bowling lanes (also mentioned). Later on he was the house pro at both what is now The Break in Cahokia Il and the Sportscenter in South County.

The Sportscenter was owned by Mark Obrien and Larry Labarbera at the time. Larry is still one of the owners. Larry was Louie's best friend. There was no other best friend - Larry was it. Larry still has his US Open trophy, pictures and posters signed by Louie are hung up in his pool room, and has a few of Louie's cues. He mainly played with a Meucci, as far as I know.

I never heard of Louie ever running with Danny Harriman. Not saying that this is 100% not true, but I again have never heard of this. And if he did, I would think it would have been for one short trip.

Louie ran with Rusty Brandemeier, Tom 'OldHasBeen' Ferry, Jimmy Brooks, Roger Reel (sp?), Larry Labarbera, and Lil Ricky Van Uum.

Louie was also an 'owner' with Larry Hubbard and Terry Bell in what is now the APA. They bought Louie out for some small sum - like less than $5000 and Louie was in the process of trying to sue the APA at the time of his death. He was claiming that he wasn't given all the facts of the league/business.

Louie had his issues. As many of the pool rooms back then were no alcohol, he would hide bottles under the tables up in the workings of the table. He would pretend to go to sleep and get the bottle to take a swig.

Louie could do a flawless impression of Al Pacino in Scarface. He would do a whole scene, reciting the words exactly for 10 minutes. It was hilarious and good.

Louie was scared of his own shadow and never a tough guy or fighter. The first time I ever went anywhere with Louie, Larry warned me not to give him any money. Of course Louie talked me into giving him $60 to play a poker machine. When he was up $200, I asked him for my $60 back (at the time $60 was about 10% of my bank roll), and Louie started to stall. I told Louie (and wasn't serious) that I would go to my car, get a baseball bat and take my money back. Louie broked down in almost tears and gave me the money.

This is what makes me say - NO WAY did Louie kill himself. He wouldn't have had the guts to do it, no matter how messed up he was at the time. It was a gun not a shot gun. I was told that there were no powder burns on his hands, meaning he could not have fired the gun. He was found in a house, I believe dining room, of the house in Arizona that he was staying at - owned by his girlfriend (some say wife) at the time who was a rich, older lady. I am not sure what really happened with any investigation. Louie called The Sportscenter the night he died a few times. Cliff Joyner was playing Mark Jarvis one pocket on the pit table. I talked to him. He was on a cordless phone, walking in the street outside his house where he was staying. He was not drunk, he was not on anything. He was relaying how he just got back from the tournament, tried to gamble after the tournament and no one would play him. He burned $200 in fifty dollar bills trying to get a game. He had hit a slot machine for $50K or something like that. A few hours later, the call came in that Louie was dead.

Louie is buried in Jefferson Baracks in South St Louis, as he was an Air Force veteran.

It is a shame that Louie left us so early. If he was still around, I think I would have even better stories to tell.

TCOMPoster_zps05fc1826.jpg

Last edited:

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Louie Louie!!

I dont know if Louie was the best ever at cutting a ball because anyother sane player would have banked.I told Louie at my tourn. (he was empty)that i would put him in the mini,s if he would do a show. He said i dont do trickshot,s.Isaid just do some pol shots and tell stories. Wow wish we would have vidio of it .The stories were (bull) hilarious the shots unbelievable.He cut balls in from everywhere.Picked up a couple of local stakehorses (suckers) another story.ps Deano has Louie,s Reds jacket thats another story.R.I.P. Louie.

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was house pro at one of my favorite pool rooms Highpockets in Memphis.

Tracey the owner has some great pictures, and stories.

He said, "Money had absolutely no value to him, it was a "ticket" to do battle on a pool table."

While I have heard this about other pool players, I have heard it most about Louie Roberts.

Sometimes, I think we put too much value on money.

I have also heard, "It was no suicide", and NEVER had anyone told me they actually believed it was one.

Ken

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, it was a shame !

In the early 90's, I was just starting to come into Tommy's poolroom again, after a 20 yr. hiatus. (working at UPS) I knew Tom Delorenzo quite well, but Louie Roberts, was a little too young for me to have known back in my playing days...It was probably the only time I ever saw him !

Louie was woofing at everybody in the joint (as usual) and some idiot sweater pointed me out to him, and said "Theres a guy who'll play you some real high"!..Tommy convinced Louie, that I played pretty decent one pocket, (only) but I had not played in years... He eventually backed off because from what I've heard, he was never too big on 1P anyway, unless he was stealing.

He finally made a game with some local shortstop, and I liked his style..He was a colorful guy, and fun to watch...I left fairly early, as I was still working..About 2 days later, I was shocked to read a local newspaper article (just like the one CJ posted) which also said, his death appeared to be a suicide... No one in my circle of pool aquaintances (including Tom D.) EVER believed that !

To this day, they are all pretty sure he was killed...Many speculate it was either the older woman he was living with, a jealous ex, or was possibly arranged by her, or the ex !...I guess we will never know for sure, unless that TV show, "Cold Case Files" decides its worthy of pursuing... Its a shame, because forty-one, is way to young to check out !

SJD

Last edited:

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Louie proceeded to show me what an "atomic speed" of 9 Ball really was

The first time I saw "St. Louie Louie" was at the SportsCenter in St. Louis - I remember it was across the street from White Castle (we didn't have WC where I was raised so I remember clearly).

I had been down the street at Afton Billiards and had beat "Water Tower" out of $600, which took several hours. I really liked the old man, Jim, that ran 'The OK Corral," he treated me like a son, and steered me into numerous games through the years.

Entering the SportsCenter for me was like going back to the "Johnson City Days," they had serious pool players, card sharks, dice mechanics, you name your game and they probably had someone to beat you at it.

At 16 years old this place was like the major leagues for pool gambling....I was a lamb among wolves, however, this particular lamb had some fangs on the green felt.

Louie suddenly approached me "Hey kid, I hear you like to gamble" - my head instinctiely jerked in his direction. Apprehensive, I stuttered "I do like this pool game" ( I liked referring it as "the pool game" in my hustling days), looking to see who I was talking to Louie caught my gaze with piercing, blue eyes......I knew this was no ordinary person, but at that moment I went blank.....

My road parter grabbed my arm and pulled me, "CJ, come here for a sec!!!"

"That's Louie Roberts"

"That's Louie....really?" I said in almost disbelief. Louie didn't really look like a pool player, he looked more like a movie character "acting" like a pool player.

"should I play him?" My partner said, "sure, he'll probably give you the moon to play"

To make a long story short, we matched up a game where he gave me "the last 4" playing Two Foul Shootout 9 Ball. I was really nervous playing, but Louie missed a couple of balls early and I gained confidence and momentum. After about 2 hours Louie was 15 games loser and broke......(I gave him a $40 walking $tick)

After playing Louie we went back to Afton for awhile, then drove back to the SportsCenter (they were fairly close together).

Louie met me outside before I even got to the door. "Hey, let's play again, kid, I have a bankroll" - someone snuck over next to us and said "Louie's drunk, I just saw him chug a bottle of wine".......apparently he was right, Louie's eyes were glowing in the dark.

"I can't play you tonight, I'm tired" I said in a tone like I was reading it off a "cue card".

Louie was visibly passionate about playing.....he said "I have to play tonight, I'm flying to Atlantic City tomorrow" - Louie paused, then said "come on, I'll give you the "last 5" that's a ball more than you beat me with!!!"

Of course I couldn't turn that game down and Louie proceeded to show me what an "atomic speed" of 9 Ball really was. At the end I was hoping for a rail to be loose on a bank, because that was the only way he was ever going to miss.

I learned some important lessons during those matches with Louie....one of them was how to beat someone AND borrow $40 off them.....I completely forgot about the "walking stick". :sorry: .....the game really is the teacher.

The next time Louie, would be 3 years later...the game, the place and the outcome would all change......and this is another story for another time.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the video posted, "Houdini couldn't get out of this trap" -- In reference to a nice safety.

I'm stealing this line for sure... Great stories so far!

Last edited: