2016 AZB Ghost Challenge - Official Thread

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just tried it. Same pattern as Baido. Wow, I won 7-3. Not sure if I was playing exceptionally well, or it really makes that much of a difference. This is the first time I ever pattern racked a set. I think I will alternate back and forth between pattern and random, over the next 10 sets I play. Might take a few weeks, IDK, depending on how often I play. I'll report back with all the scores.

I did:

..4 7
6 9 5
..8 3

Oh, the 7 and 9 tied up on the right side of the table almost the same way 2 of the racks.

Well, last night I finished the last of the 10 sets. It only took me 5 months! ha ha.

Set #, date played, random/pattern, score

Set 1: 3/8, pattern, N7-G3
Set 2: 3/9, random, N3-G7
Set 3: 3/9, pattern, N1-G7
Set 4: 3/19, random, N3-G7
Set 5: 3/23, pattern, N0-G7
Set 6: 3/24, random, N0-G7
Set 7: 3/25, pattern, N1-G7
Set 8: 3/27, random, N3-G7
Set 9: 6/7, pattern, N0-G7
Set 10: 8/20, random, N1-G7

Totals over all sets:
Pattern: N9 -G35
Random: N10 -G35

Conclusion:
Pattern or random racking did not make any difference for my game.

SpiderWeb

iisgone@yahoo.com
Silver Member
Centennial Balls

I like the looks of these balls best but are others just as good. What is the best bang for the buck for good balls? Thanks

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are breaking extremely soft, way too much clustering. You can break about twice as hard and it will still be considered a soft break. On my 10 footer I use a magic rack so the rack is perfectly tight and I break slightly above center hitting the one ball dead on so the cue ball comes back to center table. The 1 ball should drift up table for a shot in the corner, the wing ball goes in the corner and the bottom ball usually banks back near the corner pocket. Break with the cue ball to the left or right of center about 4 inches from the side rail and two diamonds up right behind the head-string. If you are breaking too hard the one ball will drift all the way up to the rail and you will have a thin cut or bank on the one ball. Just experiment and you will see.

I'll try and post a video in the next couple of days.

6-6 unfinished set. I moved the wrong coin sometime during the set and thought I had won, lol. I realized I was mistaken during the editing but thought I'd post it anyway.

https://youtu.be/1phildoRB40

I tried soft breaking and after a few sets of doing miserably, I managed this one. I very rarely soft break but people were sleeping and I was trying not to wake anyone up.

I did use a pattern;

Have any of you guys ever really experimented with the soft break? The main issues I ran into were clusters and obstructing balls blocking pockets. I might have better luck if I tried to figure out a more effective pattern.

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the AZ members PM'ed me and has done this with his bar box. He cut a piece of wood to extend the depth to where he wanted it and used one ton epoxy to glue the wood piece then used bondo for the top and sanded the bondo down flush with the slate. This has lasted over 10 years for him even lifting the slate out by the corner pockets a few times to recover the table.

My rails are clamped to another wood rail which is bolted to the sidewall of the slate. The only way for me to get the rails to move in 3/16" was to plane off 3/16" on the wood rail that is bolted to the slate so the pins and clamps are all 3/16" closer to the slate moving the top rails in 3/16". Hope this makes sense.

I think I may build my shelves in the corner pockets now as I can staple the cloth when stretching over the extended shelf.

Very nice!

When you say you moved the pin 3/16", you mean the placement of the rail bolts? How do you plan to build out the pocket shelf? It's hard to tell from the vid but it looks like you have a radius on your shelf lip. If so, building that out somehow and making the shelf lip sharp would make a huge difference, I think.

I'm just asking out of curiosity. I've played on GCs that had the rails moved in a little, making the shelf deeper. I've never heard of anyone building the shelf out though. I'm curious how that could be done.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7-4 against pro ghost

]Hi. I was off from pool because I did not have decent table to practice.
Played some snooker and Finnish Kaisa sometimes. It did good to my game. Now I fixed one pool table to local pool hall for practice purposes. I did job to rails I was long time afraid to do. Nose of rail were too high so I lowered rails 4mm.(0.157 inches). I used same rails so I needed to remove old ones REALLY carefully and I succeeded. Height change also affected to shelf and pockets so I had to redo pockets too. I was sure I mess up but I made it work. Now I got table that cushions work like Brunswick. I LOVE IT! Pockets also had to do without templates so I did use same shape as earlier but I just filed very little rubber off from pocket liners and now they work well too even they are still tight.

Played almost week only 14.1 but after that I decided to try pro 9-ball ghost and played several matches. I had some accident(n00b) with new phone memory card and most of my weekly play got deleted.

Anyways I got one match left and that I won 7 - 4 against pro ghost. 9-ball on spot.

I open that with 9-from-break and then ran three more racks. After that I get unlucky scratch and get little heated because I already ran 3 times 4-packs earlier that day :angry:... those 4-packs always ended to break.

Link:

https://youtu.be/i7J34vckWQY.. (Youtube is still prosessing it)

Last edited:

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shooting.

]Hi. I was off from pool because I did not have decent table to practice.
Played some snooker and Finnish Kaisa sometimes. It did good to my game. Now I fixed one pool table to local pool hall for practice purposes. I did job to rails I was long time afraid to do. Nose of rail were too high so I lowered rails 4mm.(0.157 inches). I used same rails so I needed to remove old ones REALLY carefully and I succeeded. Height change also affected to shelf and pockets so I had to redo pockets too. I was sure I mess up but I made it work. Now I got table that cushions work like Brunswick. I LOVE IT! Pockets also had to do without templates so I did use same shape as earlier but I just filed very little rubber off from pocket liners and now they work well too even they are still tight.

Played almost week only 14.1 but after that I decided to try pro 9-ball ghost and played several matches. I had some accident(n00b) with new phone memory card and most of my weekly play got deleted.

Anyways I got one match left and that I won 7 - 4 against pro ghost. 9-ball on spot.

I open that with 9-from-break and then ran three more racks. After that I get unlucky scratch and get little heated because I already ran 3 times 4-packs earlier that day :angry:... those 4-packs always ended to break.

Link:

https://youtu.be/i7J34vckWQY.. (Youtube is still prosessing it)

Scott Brazier

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeeeeeez, that's tough!! Hows it been going treating you after a couple days?

Going great, my game has already improved. In a couple of weeks I'll go to the Break Room in Duluth MN and play on the Diamond 9' and I'll know right away if my table plays tougher than them. And if it plays about the same then the next time I recover my table I'll tighten the pocket down to 4 inches at the mouth.

Kris_b1104

House Pro in my own home.
Silver Member
Going great, my game has already improved. In a couple of weeks I'll go to the Break Room in Duluth MN and play on the Diamond 9' and I'll know right away if my table plays tougher than them. And if it plays about the same then the next time I recover my table I'll tighten the pocket down to 4 inches at the mouth.

Lol you're insane, but in a good way.