Former Room Owner Florence Fuller Passes

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s my sad duty to inform you of the death of former room owner Florence E. Fuller. Florence owned and operated The Pocket Billiard Lounge on State Street in Binghamton, NY from sometime in the late ‘60s on. She actually sold the room and got it back twice before selling for good in, I believe, the mid 2000s.
Florence ran the New York State 9 Ball Championship out of The Pocket from the early ‘80s into the late ‘90s. Notable players include Jim Rempe, Allen Hopkins, Joe, “Neptune Joe” Frady, Ray Martin, Sammy Jones, Mike Sigel, Mike LeBron, Mike Zuglan, Mike X, and many, many others from around the North East.
Florence held quite a few women’s tournaments, also and did a lot for women’s pool in the North East, both promoting and playing.
She was a close personal friend. Our son and I both worked there for a time and we both played there, myself for almost 25 years. She was a damn good person and I will miss her and remember her.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pr...?n=florence-e-fuller&pid=181208630&fhid=11628

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Pushout,

Sad news indeed. Florence gave me my nickname at one of the last NYS 9 ball events. Finished second to Gerry Watson in 1991 if I remember correctly. Was always one of my favorite events to attend. She also promoted Womens pool and had several high quality events at PBL. Where I met Karen Corr and Julie Kelly for the first time. Billy Bunn kept me informed as to her health. A great underappreciated lady. She's in my hall of fame!

Lyn

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I'm going to miss Florence (don't call me Flo!)
she was always kind to me...liked polite Canadians.
she would phone around and find me a room if the motels were booked up.

I saw Joe Tucker take a great win there, beating Dennis Hatch in the finals.
Florence barred Dennis' uncle Mark Hatch for starting a ruckus there once....
...Mark grew a full beard and came back a year later...entering as Mark Bingheimer....
...it was a legitimate alias 'cause he was Greg Hatch's half-brother...
...I always suspected that Florence knew...but let it go....she was real sharp.

I lost a glorious match at The Pocket once...to Bill Dunsmore....I'm on the hill...
...he ain't on the wire yet....made a ball on the break...then put him in jail...
..Billy came off three rails at warp speed, hit the one and lucked in two balls...
...from then on I never got to play a ball in...I was either snookered, or Billy was
breaking and running...he won hill/hill....Efren needed the eight for that one match...
....The Chickenman could play. :bow-down:

Rest in peace, Florence....you gave us some good times

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! 93 years old. May she rest in peace. I am sorry for your loss.

Last edited:

NYTechGuy

Lock N Block
Silver Member
Lost one fine person and good friend

I'm going to miss Florence. She always looked out for me and I am proud to have known her. She kicked my behind quite firmly on the table a few times when I was a young man shooting some 9 ball. Rest in peace, Florence. I miss you.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP-Because of her tournaments, i met many friends that i still have including one world champion. Thank you Florence..

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Florence always maintained a nice, clean pool room with a family atmosphere. I can remember she had a hard rule of not putting money on the table (she didn't want people to see that gambling was taking place). Well one day we were playing in a ring game and we kept throwing money on the table out of habit. One of my buddies was warned a few times but he just couldn't break that habit. He happened to do it as Florence was walking by him with a tray of balls in her hand. She threw the entire tray right at his head. He was covering up from raining pool balls like something from the cartoons. Then she kicked him out.

Florence did a lot for the game of pool...especially women's pool. She truly loved and respected the game.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Florence always maintained a nice, clean pool room with a family atmosphere. I can remember she had a hard rule of not putting money on the table (she didn't want people to see that gambling was taking place). Well one day we were playing in a ring game and we kept throwing money on the table out of habit. One of my buddies was warned a few times but he just couldn't break that habit. He happened to do it as Florence was walking by him with a tray of balls in her hand. She threw the entire tray right at his head. He was covering up from raining pool balls like something from the cartoons. Then she kicked him out.

Florence did a lot for the game of pool...especially women's pool. She truly loved and respected the game.

I think I was there that day! I didn't see it but I heard the balls hit. She mellowed over the years, though. The room is gone now, too, finally:sad:

oldzilla

Accu-Stats Messenger
Silver Member
Many times I made the trip to play in Florences events.
Glad I finally won one in 2000 while she was still in charge.

RIP Florence, she ran a tight ship. Zuglan like. Alot of players made the trip to the local strip mall to buy shoes pants or both ! She loved the game as much as anyone ever has.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry

Sorry for the loss to all that knew her. From reading the stories about her I wish I would have had the opportunity to have met her.

JPNEWT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Much respect to a lady who cared!

Rest in peace from your friends at JPNEWT