"Bushwacker" vs. McCready

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, call me slow but I finally put two and two together and discovered that our very own "Bushwacker" Gary Nolan is the guy who plays Keith McCready on my "X-Rated Commentary" Accu-stats match. Grady mathews and a few others start cussing at the beginning on accident, so Pat just lets them keep going and it is hilarious! Only one that I know of like this.

Gary and Keith play a race to 11 and let me tell you....Gary plays SUPERB 9 Ball. In the commentary, although Grady jokingly calls him Gary "Tally-wacker, I mean bushwacker" Nolan, he is extremely complimentary of his game and everyone was expecting him to beat Keith after he pulled ahead very quickly. Gary jumps ahead of McCready but Keith comes back and the match goes down to the wire! Literally!! It comes down to one shot to win the set (they both dog it once and Keith gets back up and blasts in the 9 ball at warp speed), and McCready just barely pulls through. So, when you guys are asking pool advice, lets not sleep on the knowledge of our very own Gary "Bushwacker" Nolan.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ahh yes...the Bushwhacker came through Arlington and left many a player a-feared for their bankroll!

RoadAgent

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bush now works at Lucky Break Billiards in Indiana,Pa. Does not play much pool anymore though but when he gets barked at still gets the $$$$$$$...

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gary has been around a long time, one of the best guys in the cue selling business and always a strong player.

Andy

stolz2

Kid Mack
Silver Member
Matt_24 said:
Well, call me slow but I finally put two and two together and discovered that our very own "Bushwacker" Gary Nolan is the guy who plays Keith McCready on my "X-Rated Commentary" Accu-stats match. Grady mathews and a few others start cussing at the beginning on accident, so Pat just lets them keep going and it is hilarious! Only one that I know of like this.

Gary and Keith play a race to 11 and let me tell you....Gary plays SUPERB 9 Ball. In the commentary, although Grady jokingly calls him Gary "Tally-wacker, I mean bushwacker" Nolan, he is extremely complimentary of his game and everyone was expecting him to beat Keith after he pulled ahead very quickly. Gary jumps ahead of McCready but Keith comes back and the match goes down to the wire! Literally!! It comes down to one shot to win the set (they both dog it once and Keith gets back up and blasts in the 9 ball at warp speed), and McCready just barely pulls through. So, when you guys are asking pool advice, lets not sleep on the knowledge of our very own Gary "Bushwacker" Nolan.

What # accu stat tape is this?

Mack

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
Actually, he just bought Lucky Break Billiards. I was there Saturday for an 8-7-6-5(hdcp) tournament. It drew some good players from all around the area.

20DollarCue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lucky Break

I had been coming to his pool hall for almost 9 months before I discovered that he has a World 9-ball title under his belt. Anybody know what year that was in? Also, if anybody has any pictures of him back in the day, they should most definately post them.

Skess, Did you play in the tournament? Also, are you planning on playing next month?

Skess

Another sidearmer...
Silver Member
Yeah, I played. Started strong with a 6-2 win, but ran into an 8 that missed 2 balls in an 8-0 beating. Lost my last one on the hill with a 5.

I hadn't been there in quite awhile myself. I heard about that tournament at our league championships the week before.

What's coming up next month?

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How strong is this? I heard Gary played a very good road player 8 ahead on the bar box in the 80's and he won the flip and ran out the set three straight times!!!!! The road player pulled up after three sets or Gary may have run more racks. Twenty four racks is mind boggling.Maybe Gary can enlighten us, on this fact or myth.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
20DollarCue said:
I had been coming to his pool hall for almost 9 months before I discovered that he has a World 9-ball title under his belt. Anybody know what year that was in? QUOTE]

I found this on the internet describing "Bush's" accomplishments because he was holding a clinic:

Tennessee 9-ball champ in 1978, Iowa champion in 1980, Michigan 8- and 9-ball champ in 1982 (9-ball in 1983), Pennsylvania 9-ball champ in 1990, and world champion in 1982. He was runner up in the world competition in 1983.

Sounds like he was a terror for a 4-5 years.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
12squared said:
Sounds like he was a terror for a 4-5 years.

One doesn't get a name like that without defining terror!

really though, I would like to hear Gary's recollection of how the moniker was dealt...hope he makes it over to the main forum!

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
bushwhacker said:
Hello to all,
The tournament match between Keith and I. Was back in 1990 at the Allen
Hopkins super expo show. The commentary was done by Keith's stake horse
and Grady. It was x-rated for the language that was being used. What I
remember about the match was. I was winning 10-9. running out and dogged
the 9, 10-10. The next game the very same thing happened, Keith wins 11-10
It is true I just bought Lucky Break Billiards in Indiana, Pa. I worked there for
10 years before this happpened. I have a monthly 9 ball tournament every
2nd Saturday of the month, next one March 11th. Also I host the Pa. state
9-ball tournament which is held the first weekend in June with $4000. added
$125. entry fee. Just to set a few things right, all the titles mentioned are
true. Although I was more of an action player than a tournament player.
I never ran 3 sets out, 8 ahead, maybe one, but won 3 sets. Never heard of
any one running 24 racks. If I am still feared as a player, thats lucky for me
because the truth is a don't play anymore. Once in awhile I'll try, but I give
up quick, mainly because I can't stand the way I play. My nickname has been
with me for more than 35 years. It started with my hair being long and wild.
People would call me bush. Then when a started beating alot of players for
there cash without them knowing who I was. Whacker was added on. The
nickname The "bushwhacker" was born, and stuck ever since. I must add
that I bushwhacked a small army of pool players.
Thank you,
Gary "Bushwhacker" Nolan
Based on a long trail of broken hearts I thought the ''BUSHwacker" monikor was attributable to other, but still stroke related, talents.:confused:

JG-in-KY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ninja

I saw the "Bushwacker" play in 1982 at the Clyde Childress tournament at the Maverick Club in Richmond, Kentucky. I believe he had just come off a big win at the 1st McDermott Masters tournament. Maybe he should have been called "Ninja" for the way he never said anything, just crept up on players and silently took them out! Played super and I always wondered why I never heard much about him again.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bushwhacker said:
...I bushwhacked a small army of pool players.
Thank you,
Gary "Bushwhacker" Nolan
Cool stuff, Gary! Things most of us will only be able to dream of doing! Thanks for sharing.:)

ScottR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JG-in-KY said:
I saw the "Bushwacker" play in 1982 at the Clyde Childress tournament at the Maverick Club in Richmond, Kentucky. I believe he had just come off a big win at the 1st McDermott Masters tournament. Maybe he should have been called "Ninja" for the way he never said anything, just crept up on players and silently took them out! Played super and I always wondered why I never heard much about him again.

NOW I remember where I met you, Gary. I was a referee at the first McDermott Masters tournament. Great playing and yes, you did sneak up and bushwhack a few guys that week! :cool:

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bushwacker

Gary is a super guy to work with on cues.Have bought 3 from him and hope to buy more.Good luck with the room Bushwacker!Mike Sellers

CrossSideLarry

Cross Side Larry
Silver Member
Bushwacker

I remember in the mid eighties when Bushwacker ran with Bucky Bell, a strong road player who could get your money in a hurry. There was a bar in Midland, Michigan known as Fricks. It was owned by a husband and wife team. They sponsored big tournaments at the Holiday Inn in Midland. Bushwacker and Bucky jumped on Cornbread Red at one of those tournaments wanting some nine ball action. Neither wanted any part of Cornbread's one pocket game and likewise, Cornbread refused to match up with either of them in nineball. They barked for hours but no action followed. Cornbread had beaten Bucky Bell badly in one pocket earlier in the year and Bucky wanted revenge. Ah, those were the good old days. I think the only player that Bushwacker feared on a bar box was the late great Nine Ball Harry "Poochy Sexton" I would pay $100.00 to read a book about Poochy. He took more to his grave (lung cancer) than most of us will ever learn. He taught me the geometry of the chalk cube, ( and I paid him dearly to learn it) a technique that I have never seen published anywhere. Would like to ask Gary what his thoughts were about Harry Sexton?

Cross Side Larry

"Learn from the best, and beat the rest"

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
RoadAgent said:
Bush now works at Lucky Break Billiards in Indiana,Pa. Does not play much pool anymore though but when he gets barked at still gets the $$$$$$$...

If you see him, tell him Jay from L.A. says hi. We go back to another time and place in pool.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
bushwhacker said:
Poochy was a great player and a good friend of mine. We never played
but sat and talked about pool for hours. By listening to him, I must say
that I learned more about pool, for he was a smart player. And like many
felt sad by his passing.
"The Bushwhacker"

Hey Gary. Nice to see you on here. This site is like a reunion for old time pool players. I remember when you were playing real good and winning tournaments. Then you just dropped out of sight, like twenty years ago.
Glad you're doing okay.
I'm still out here hanging out and putting on a tournament or two. Closed my fourth room last year. Don't think I'll do anymore, but you never know. I may get the itch again.