Joss West with modified 5/16x14

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bill Stroud used a 5/16-14 acme pin. If you are putting an aftermarket shaft on it you will have to bring it to your cue repair person first to modify it.

Charlie D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Might be wrong,but

Hi folks,

I got an older Joss West Cue with a modified 5/16x14 pin like this one:

http://custombilliardcue.com/shop/sold-cues/joss-west-1990/

That combination seems to be very rare...does anyone knows, if it's possible to switch a normal 5/16x14 Shaft easiely to this modified one?

Many thanks!

André

I currently have a 5/16-14 ACME THREAD early Joss West . I went with a 5/16-14 shaft to a cue maker. He retapped it to the acme thread. Fits like a glove. CHARLIE D

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
Both of my JW's with the same logo (JW1988 & JW1990) have 5/16-14 Acme thread.
Actually 3-cues including an older JW with the sideways-w logo, and each of those pins
were slightly different, so until we hear from Bstroud I'm calling it a 5/16-14 modified Acme thread

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi folks,

I got an older Joss West Cue with a modified 5/16x14 pin like this one:

http://custombilliardcue.com/shop/sold-cues/joss-west-1990/

That combination seems to be very rare...does anyone knows, if it's possible to switch a normal 5/16x14 Shaft easiely to this modified one?

Many thanks!

André

Hi Andre
Yes it can be modified. The original acme screw is .323x14 acme. I have seen them modified to 5/16x14 acme. (312x14 acme) pretty sure it wasn't modified by Mr. Stroud. I personally would change the insert but you can run a tap thru it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hard to get a cuemaker in Germany who has one...

Option
Go to a machine shop and ask them to make you a lazy tap. Which is a steel screw 8.2mmx14 acme with 4 channels. They can measure your screw for the pitch depth. This does work and it will work well for chasing the inserts. Then you'll have it forever.
Hope this helps.

hightechjunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't have the technical background and my english isn't very well....the google translation is funny, but not very useful. I try to let it translate by a german cuemaker or technican. Thank you!