CTE Aiming Video

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
This is my attempt to try to show how center to edge is used. The video quality is poor. I just tried to put it together quickly before I go to league. I did notice that when I shot the 9 ball I wanted to say I'm cutting the ball to the right so I'm aiming at the left side of the OB and using the left to right pivot. No time to edit so my misses are included. That wasn't the systems fault just me trying to talk and shoot at the same time. Hopefully those of you that have asked for my help explaining this material will fully understand. If not I will try to do another video with whatever you feel that I left out. The other reason I did the video is the fact that there have been alot of claims that no adjustments are needed and so on. If there is another way to use Hals system that I'm unaware of I would ask that you please post to show how you use the system. Thanks in advance for your input.

Eric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi_UCD-eD00

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks!!

Eric,

You did an excellent job showing and explaining what you were doing and your camera person did excellent work too. No slap at the people doing the video's alone but having the camera being able to get into the proper position for each shot was a big help.

Sending you some rep for a good plain video.

Hu

eze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
eezbank said:
This is my attempt to try to show how center to edge is used. The video quality is poor. I just tried to put it together quickly before I go to league. I did notice that when I shot the 9 ball I wanted to say I'm cutting the ball to the right so I'm aiming at the left side of the OB and using the left to right pivot. No time to edit so my misses are included. That wasn't the systems fault just me trying to talk and shoot at the same time. Hopefully those of you that have asked for my help explaining this material will fully understand. If not I will try to do another video with whatever you feel that I left out. The other reason I did the video is the fact that there have been alot of claims that no adjustments are needed and so on. If there is another way to use Hals system that I'm unaware of I would ask that you please post to show how you use the system. Thanks in advance for your input.

Eric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi_UCD-eD00

Nice video.
I have a couple of questions for you at around 6:12 in your video you where attempting a thin cut shot in your video at a close range and you didnt finish, could that shot be made with cte?I set up the same shot on my table and couldnt get close unless i moved my bridge hand or use a really ,really short bridge.I have talk with hal several times and every shot
required a pivot according to him,thick or thin even straight in ones even the halfball hits required a pivot.Also the last shot in your video was not a half ball hit may look like it at a distance but its not.Anyway great video
on your version of cte aiming system ,maybe we can get more videos on here and finally firgure out cte system. Thanks..

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It looked like the last two OBs were on the center spot and the foot spot. You said you hit them both with a half ball hit and no pivot.

Only the OB on the center spot goes with a half ball hit. The OB on the foot spot hits about a diamond from the pocket (on the end rail) with a half ball hit. You had to adjust your aim somehow to make it.

I appreciate your effort to show CTE aiming, but am I missing something?

pj
chgo

Last edited:

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you for taking the time to create your video and explaination of CTE. It was sarly needed. One question, why was two different length shots in the same line both a 1/2 ball hit? Just curious because the angle of the object ball was different to make both shots.

Dave

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
Patrick Johnson said:
It looked like the last two OBs were on the center spot and the foot spot. You said you hit them both with a half ball hit and no pivot.

Only the OB on the center spot goes with a half ball hit. The OB on the foot spot hits about a diamond from the pocket (on the end rail) with a half ball hit. You had to adjust your aim somehow to make it.

I appreciate your effort to show CTE aiming, but am I missing something?

pj
chgo

The distance of the ball and how you approach the shot changes where the edge that you see is. If you're shooting a ball straight in you wouldn't aline your body and cue in the same path that you would if you're back cutting a ball. I think that is how the shots are made with the same aim point.

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
eze said:
Nice video.
I have a couple of questions for you at around 6:12 in your video you where attempting a thin cut shot in your video at a close range and you didnt finish, could that shot be made with cte?I set up the same shot on my table and couldnt get close unless i moved my bridge hand or use a really ,really short bridge.I have talk with hal several times and every shot
required a pivot according to him,thick or thin even straight in ones even the halfball hits required a pivot.Also the last shot in your video was not a half ball hit may look like it at a distance but its not.Anyway great video
on your version of cte aiming system ,maybe we can get more videos on here and finally firgure out cte system. Thanks..

yes the shot can be made but it's really tough. i use two tips then pivot back to center. the way i explained it is the way hal taught me. there seems to be some variations out there. i hope there will be more videos on this subject so we can see how everyone uses the system. thanks for your input. :thumbup:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The distance of the ball and how you approach the shot changes where the edge that you see is.

Well, that doesn't explain it for me, but I'm glad it's working for you.

pj <- no, I don't want to call Hal, thankyouverymuch
chgo

jdsons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
stupid questions?

Eric,
Great job. I answered my original question by watching the video again.

On you next video please include the banking aspect, and maybe kicking.

I spoke with Hal a few times and he stated it is the same.

Thanks Again,
jdsons

Last edited:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
CTE was hard for me to grasp from reading the descriptions but your video made it much more clear. Thanks.

But, what if I want to put english on the shot? Pivot back to center... but I want to hit the shot with left english. What's the process when I want to hit the shot with english?

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
JimS said:
CTE was hard for me to grasp from reading the descriptions but your video made it much more clear. Thanks.

But, what if I want to put english on the shot? Pivot back to center... but I want to hit the shot with left english. What's the process when I want to hit the shot with english?

I just move my tip to that spot and shoot. This is what backhand english means.

Try this;

Set up a straight in shot. Line up with center ball. Without moving your bridge hand move your cue so that the tip is addressing the ball at whatever spin you want to give it. Start out with half or one tip's worth and go all the way around the clock. You will see that you can make the ball and apply a good amount of spin this way. Then as you move out to 1.5 to 2 tip's worth you will see that it throws the object ball a little more.

You will quickly develop a feel (there you Patrick) for how much you can get away with. It feels though that you don't need to go all the way out to the edge to get max spin.

I confirmed this the other day using the training ball. I could hit the ball one tip's worth below center and get mega draw and using the same stroke and hitting lower didn't produce any more draw. With the CueSight training ball I was able to verify this as the lines are spaced 1/2 tip from center.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
So I aim one tip to the left to cut a ball to the right. Then pivot back to center then pivot to the english position I want. Right?

What if I'm using a 11.5mm tip and the system is using a 13mm tip. This changes the aim point significantly.

Edit: Hal taught me a system a few years back that used 1/2 ball and then for thinner or thicker cuts, 1/2 of that, on either side of center.

This CTE seems like the same thing to me but the old system didn't require a pivot. The aim point on the cb is still center to the edge of the ob, or approximately 13mm off center to the edge of the ob.

Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
It feels though that you don't need to go all the way out to the edge to get max spin.

I confirmed this the other day using the training ball. I could hit the ball one tip's worth below center and get mega draw and using the same stroke and hitting lower didn't produce any more draw. With the CueSight training ball I was able to verify this as the lines are spaced 1/2 tip from center.

If you can prove this you'll get the Nobel prize for redefining physics.

pj
chgo