Schon lovers..are these new ones all that?

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi. I recently bought a higher end schon ltd. I had also owned a 1993 schon, and hit with an older runde era. But this new ltd, in my opinion, seemed head and shoulders above the other schon cues. The owners at schon cues think they are now making the best cues ever. I was however very skeptical, that is until I got my hands on this ltd 1812. It just had the solid ca-thud that felt so precise. Of course playing with new cyclop balls probably helped. Anyone want to weigh in? No I have no affiliation with Schon, just looking for the best cue for my so so stroke.

Last edited:

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's so much exposure of the Runde era cues that I was reluctant to buy a newer schon. Since I had a 30 day trial on this cue I decided to try one. I literally could not send it back. It played that good and I am very picky. I was thinking that while Runde knows how to make a great cue, he's definitely not the only one.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ive got a 2 year old ltd, also have an older regular schon....I cant tell the difference, but I did move my favorite shaft onto the ltd, so not sure that my info is valid ;)

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep. My new shaft was 13.08mm. I know I should go low deflection, but maby I'm just stubborn. I do like the feel of the linen ferrel on original shaft.Its just a little fat.

scottjen26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. Could be you are noticing something different in construction or just something specific to the cue you received regarding balance, weight, etc.

I used to live in Milwaukee area and was friends with Bob's son in college (circa 1987), right when I started playing pool. Had the opportunity to hang out at the shop and hit with dozens of cues. Some just felt better to me than others, hard to pinpoint. There was one my buddy and I had and he sold it, was a simple, 2 point cue but to this day is one of the better hitting cues I've hit with.

I ended up getting a R6 (still have it), something about the cue is just rock solid and I doubt I will ever sell it. Through a series of trades I finally found a fancier LTD-type cue that hit very similar, ended up with that around 1991 and is still my main player, only the shafts have changed through the years.

Love the cues, Bob did a great job and I think Evan runs a great shop as well, for a semi-production cue it's hard to find something comparable that hits as solid.
Scott

born2push

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are the 2nd knowledgeable person to comment on finding a great hitting cue that is setup perfect for me. Maybe I just got lucky. I also play acoustic guitar and it has taken time and research to obtain an instrument that I feel is really exceptional. This cue has that solid ping sound and distinct feel that breeds confidence. Also came with a great tip from Schon. Very pleased.

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
I've played with a LOT of cues myself but yet I always find myself going back to a Schon it seems. Granted, I've had some Schons that I 'felt' played better than others but not by big margins. Tips of course make a world of difference and sometimes I think you may come up on that magical shaft where the wood is perfect. I do know this....I've never had a Schon in my hands that I was disappointed in.

I think they make the most consistent cue around, which I believe has to do with a lot of their underwrap and forearm/joint construction. Which if I remember right is one of their goals, they strive to make every single one of their cues play the same (at least I think I remember reading that or hearing Evan or someone say it at one time).

NavyJay007

Registered
Schon CX series

Any honest opinions on the Schon CX series of cues. Looking at a new cue to replace all of my stolen equipment from the late 90's (Joss and a Viking). I like the look and feel of the schon over the Pechauer and Lucasi. Are these the next best custom cues like the original Balabushka. Looking at the Schon CX90. I know those were made for cuestix international. Does it matter or effect the quality of the cue

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Any honest opinions on the Schon CX series of cues. Looking at a new cue to replace all of my stolen equipment from the late 90's (Joss and a Viking). I like the look and feel of the schon over the Pechauer and Lucasi. Are these the next best custom cues like the original Balabushka. Looking at the Schon CX90. I know those were made for cuestix international. Does it matter or effect the quality of the cue
I have 3 Schons, including a CX-48 and they all play great.

Highmiles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had several Schon cues over the years. I sold a Runde era cue, that I wish I could buy back, or find another like it. Got it's replacement, and didn't like the appearance of that particular cue, even though it played fine. Went through a Joss West, Russ Espiritu, and a custom Pecauer cue, before returning to Schon. My current Schon is a CX-04 which is in my avatar. It is the best hitting of all the Schon cues I have owned, but in all fairness, they have all been similar, in feel and hit. I have shot with this one for probably 7 years now, and doubt it will ever be replaced, unless something happens to it.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Just got my own Schon less than a month ago. I'd played with others, but this one is mine ... (sounds like a segue to bad "Full Metal Jacket" quote).

Anyway ... I love it. 19 oz ... the CX03. I did put an OB shaft on it, and I do like that a bit better I think. The reason I'm not *sure* yet is that the whole "low deflection" thing is new to me, and I have to adjust.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member

I got the CX03 about a month ago - and I love it. Actually, in the past month or so, I've bought multiple cues, and by far the Schon (and Joss) are my favorites. I won't do a full review here - but may over the next few weeks. The biggest thing I noticed about the Schon (and Joss for that matter) was that they both seem to be weighted more toward the center of the cue than other brands I've had or shot with. I do prefer to use my OB shaft with it, but the OEM shaft is pretty OK too. Good solid hit in both sound and feel. IMO the Schon has a "feel" very similar to the Joss cues.

Be aware that if you're used to the older cues, then you'll notice that the "points" are not razor sharp. The 90 is a beautiful stick - I think you'd be very happy with it. Always sorry to hear about anyone getting stuff stolen.

Ched

NavyJay007

Registered
Yea it still bugs me about all my stuff getting stolen. In all honesty I miss my Joss that got stolen more then my Viking. Its my understanding that the Joss cues out today are mass manufactured and not even custom made anymore. Also that the brothers got into an argument and have separated to East and West. Not sure how everyone finds out what the latest status is on cue companies and how they are made and whats going on with the companies. I do love my Schon so far. Only issue i have had so far was after they changed the weight bolt for me prior to shipping it to my dealer they did not tighten the bold all the way and I had to have it tightened to eliminate the vibration in the hit. Now it hits solid. One thing I am curious about is if they are hand made or mass manufactured.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
New Schon's. Quality is not the same. I'm talking about workmanship.

Last edited:

limache

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
6c7c5250b42d9e5d7507e5b94d1a1330.jpg
a357cb755bac2706bdd6da9af2c978e4.jpg

I have this Schon LTD 224 - won it in a raffle . I use a predator 314 shaft on it. Anyone else do that?

I like the way the original shaft hits but it has so much deflection.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

boba_fett23

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep, I have a couple Schon cues paired with 314-2 shafts. To me it is a good combination with solid feed back.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums