Is one of the 3 best tables BRUNSWICK, DIAMOND or GANDY?

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A review by MAINE HOME RECREATION (MHR) says NO! Not any of those three.

Attached is their review of 29 different brand names of pool tables. Not 29 models; 29 brands! I did not know that there were that many.

MNR places the 29 brands into four tiers; and neither Brunswick, Diamond, or Gandy are included in that group.

I just wonder how many pool players reading this have played on the three that MHR says are the best. So, I ask the players, especially the pool-playing table mechanics, how good is the review?

http://www.mainehomerecreation.com/product-reviews/

danny

Registered

Attached is their review of 29 different brand names of pool tables. Not 29 models; 29 brands! I did not know that there were that many.

MNR places the 29 brands into four tiers; and neither Brunswick, Diamond, or Gandy are included in that group.

I just wonder how many pool players reading this have played on the three that MHR says are the best. So, I ask the players, especially the pool-playing table mechanics, how good is the review?

thanks for sharing. good info!

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

Home recreational playing, no
Goldcrowns AMD diamonds are for PLAYERS

recreational home players won't notice the difference in play and will be happy with the furniture models

My take one it anyways

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where is this guy finding GC IV for 800-1000? I would love to do one for 3K all complete with new rubber and cloth.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where is this guy finding GC IV for 800-1000? I would love to do one for 3K all complete with new rubber and cloth.

I am with you on that point it is not only the GC that their pricing was way off. When you read what they say about Diamonds they are very unclear of the model they are speaking of but they do say home model. The Pro-Am is listed both home and commercial. Then they said "The home tables are worth around $200 – $500 each, older Diamond commercial tables can go as high as $1500 and the newer 1 pc slate tables in good condition can sell as high as $2500." I don't know where they came up with those numbers as I paid more that twice that for my 7ft 3pc Pro-Am back in January.

I agree though with a previous posting as well I believe Diamond pro am is for a more experienced player not your typical home table. In the case of a home 7 ft table I would have to say valley or dynamo are most common place.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I am with you on that point it is not only the GC that their pricing was way off. When you read what they say about Diamonds they are very unclear of the model they are speaking of but they do say home model. The Pro-Am is listed both home and commercial. Then they said "The home tables are worth around $200 – $500 each, older Diamond commercial tables can go as high as $1500 and the newer 1 pc slate tables in good condition can sell as high as $2500." I don't know where they came up with those numbers as I paid more that twice that for my 7ft 3pc Pro-Am back in January.

I agree though with a previous posting as well I believe Diamond pro am is for a more experienced player not your typical home table. In the case of a home 7 ft table I would have to say valley or dynamo are most common place.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

I think it all depends on what someone is after. If your home is full of teenagers and you are not personally trying to improve, that requires one type of table. Maybe please the wife with a beautiful piece of furniture and a ping pong/ dining table top for toppers.
But, if you are a serious pool player and want the best table in your state, maybe start with a Brunswick Centennial, Anniversary from the 40's/50's and have it modified by the guys that know what they are doing. I think Centennials and Anniversaries were built to last lots of years getting beat up in a pool hall. We have a pool hall here in Salem that has 24 of these and they will last forever.
From what I hear, even Diamonds need professional modification to be great. My two cents.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
The truth of the matter is there is a line drawn in the sand between home tables and commercial pool tables. There are literally 100s of home table manufactures around the world, all designed to catch the eye of the home table market, as not one of them would survive in a commercial environment for very long. Commercial pool tables are not built to be pretty, they're built to last in a harsh environment and therefore must take a back seat to gross table sales. Anniversaries and centenials are not built any stronger than a GC in design, they in fact share the exact same framework. If either one is rebuilt and modified correctly, neither one will outperform the other in playability, the best they can do is tie. Diamond commercial tables are the ugly ducklings so to speak, but then again, winning a beauty contest wasn't Diamonds goal when it was designed. None of the tables I just spoke of will ever dominate in the home table market which is why they'll never be on anyone's top tier table list, but at the same time, those making out that list don't know shit about the commercial market as they don't sell tables that fit in that industry. Further more there isn't 1 single pool table "mechanic" working in the home table market place.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it all depends on what someone is after. If your home is full of teenagers and you are not personally trying to improve, that requires one type of table. Maybe please the wife with a beautiful piece of furniture and a ping pong/ dining table top for toppers.
But, if you are a serious pool player and want the best table in your state, maybe start with a Brunswick Centennial, Anniversary from the 40's/50's and have it modified by the guys that know what they are doing. I think Centennials and Anniversaries were built to last lots of years getting beat up in a pool hall. We have a pool hall here in Salem that has 24 of these and they will last forever.
From what I hear, even Diamonds need professional modification to be great. My two cents.

I am going to talk to Jim at the Cueball today, it's always nice to look at those tables.

He's been there since 1964, he knows his stuff, he knows his tables. If there was a better table, he would own 24 of them and nothing else.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I am going to talk to Jim at the Cueball today, it's always nice to look at those tables.

He's been there since 1964, he knows his stuff, he knows his tables. If there was a better table, he would own 24 of them and nothing else.

Tell Jim I said hi, and I'll stop in and see him when I'm in Salem

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member

What time will you be there? I may be able to come down and meet you. I would like to see some of your cues.

Last edited:

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell Jim I said hi, and I'll stop in and see him when I'm in Salem

I said, "Jim, Glenn of Royal Crown Cola said hi."

He laughed, I said "Real King Cobra."

He said to say hello, he seems to have a lot of respect for you and your work.

Thanks, Dave.

CuesDirectly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What time will you be there? I may be able to come down and meet you. I would like to see some of your cues.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

I don't really have any inventory to show, I work off a list that is mostly past customers and their friends. In the last few years I have never had a day when I was all caught up.

I make Cues 6 or 7 days per week but everything is sold before it's started. I make them with woods that I have cured myself over the years, I stock 15-20 types ready to go at all times, that's why they never take very long.

My Cues are Merry Widow types, no points, no inlays, no wraps, just real nice woods. They are perfectly straight as well.

They run between $250-$300 usually. I make them the way the customer wants and they pay when the Cue is ready to ship. Full refund if they are unhappy.

503 930-7776 if you ever have any questions, Thanks, Dave.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I said, "Jim, Glenn of Royal Crown Cola said hi."

He laughed, I said "Real King Cobra."

He said to say hello, he seems to have a lot of respect for you and your work.

Thanks, Dave.

If I had to guess, I'd have to say Jim and I go back about 30 years...LOL

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
If I had to guess, I'd have to say Jim and I go back about 30 years...LOL

Seems everyone in the pool business knows Jim of Cueball. Probably one of the last pool halls and I'm afraid it won't be around much longer. Very desirable real estate and if Jim didn't own it outright, it would have closed up a long time ago. He is about 73 now. He's been there 50 years!