Sandy Laube wants to know about her father, Eddie

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
I met Sandy Laube on line - she bought one of her dad's cues from me. She is a nice woman who lives in Chicago, who doesn't know a lot about her father.

She would like to hear any stories about her dad. Here's an interesting article by George Fels, roughing Eddie up a bit but delivering him as a good guy in the end:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/showblogentry.php?id=141

Anybody got some decent Laube cue pics? I'll add some cue pics as we go.

Any good stories? Is it true about Al Capone?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Chris...Did she buy the Laube you sold for me several years ago?

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

It's interesting Scott. After I sold that Laube for you, if you recall I was amazed at the bidding and how many people wanted that cue (you warned me, but I didn't believe!!), what happened was I saw one for sale and bought it. My first one had the patent number on it and I was intrigued by the small details, cool little stacks of rings and mixed hardwoods, his one sided ring decor, heavy duty engineered joint, stuff you don't really see.

Then I bought a couple more over the years that were pre-patent. Finally a really fancy one came up and somehow I got it - I think Greg Howard traded me for it.

So I advertised one here on AZ in the wanted/for sale and Sandy found it, contacted me today and bought it.

I'll post some pics shortly.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Here are some photos of various Laube's.

Attachments

• Laube Full Cues.jpg
    Laube Full Cues.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 987
  • Laube Forearms.jpg
    Laube Forearms.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Laube Butts.jpg
    Laube Butts.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,155
  • Laube Butt Side 1 Patent.jpg
    Laube Butt Side 1 Patent.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 994
  • Laube Butt Side 2.jpg
    Laube Butt Side 2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 988

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Here are some more. Check out the 5 veneer reverse splice. I thought maybe it was a Spain (Burton made some 5 veneer splices) but according to Joel Hercek, Eddie made his own splices.

Attachments

• Laube Butt 2 Patent.jpg
    Laube Butt 2 Patent.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 994
  • Laube Joints.jpg
    Laube Joints.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 984
  • laube Lower point inlays.jpg
    laube Lower point inlays.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 984
  • Laube handle rings.jpg
    Laube handle rings.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,047
Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
His cues were made with basic shop tools. These days perfection is just difficult, back then it was almost impossible. These 5 veneer points are perfectly equal in length, and each inlay dot has a tiny notch to accommodate them.

By the way, his butt taper? Parabolic - his joints do not touch the table when you roll the handle alone. This was before Kersenbrock and South West made the taper well known.

Attachments

• Laube Point Ends and Inlays.jpg
    Laube Point Ends and Inlays.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 960
  • sc0000.jpg
    sc0000.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 971
Last edited:

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Sandy Laube on line - she bought one of her dad's cues from me. She is a nice woman who lives in Chicago, who doesn't know a lot about her father.

She would like to hear any stories about her dad. Here's an interesting article by George Fels, roughing Eddie up a bit but delivering him as a good guy in the end:

http://www.billiardsdigest.com/showblogentry.php?id=141

Anybody got some decent Laube cue pics? I'll add some cue pics as we go.

Any good stories? Is it true about Al Capone?
Wow, what an unpleasant article. I met him once at the US open in Chicago. He seem nice enough, for some reason he took my picture. What year did he die?

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you dont mind, please let Ms. Laube know that I would be interested in having a conversation with her.

What about Capone?

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Chris,

Thank you for an excellent thread. And furthermore how fitting that fortune should smile on you again with you getting contacted by the relatives of pioneers in our sport.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Wow, what an unpleasant article. I met him once at the US open in Chicago. He seem nice enough, for some reason he took my picture. What year did he die?

Thanks for reading it. The article wasn't exactly a eulogy, was it? Still it was an interesting read.

He passed away in 1996. I really don't have a lot of details. In fact Sandy did not know her father and had to research death records etc just to find out that information.

I've invited his daughter to register here on AZ to join in the discussion. She should be able to comment shortly.

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
If you dont mind, please let Ms. Laube know that I would be interested in having a conversation with her.

What about Capone?

She will be joining here shortly and I would definitely recommend her talking with you. She mentioned that he may have known Al Capone, so she's trying to determine if there was a connection for biographical purposes.

One of the members here wants to put her in touch with Sailor as well.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Chris,

Thank you for an excellent thread. And furthermore how fitting that fortune should smile on you again with you getting contacted by the relatives of pioneers in our sport.

It's Google's fault!

As you know, after I started the Palmer Collector site, I was contacted out of the blue by Peter Balner. He set the record straight for me on a lot of things. Even now I still unravel stories and history which can only come from people, who are treasure chests of information.

Fortunately AZ Billiards is well covered by the search engines, so information pops up when they do a search.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Chris

That's a very cool deal selling that old cue to Mr. Laube's daughter. I've sold several collectibles and many paintings to the heirs of the artist. I just last month sold a painting to a woman that, by coincidence, lived in the artist's house, which she is now actively filling with paintings he made in the 1940s.

I met Eddie Laube some time in the early 1970s. Dennis Dieckman was looking to start making cues and he and I traveled together to meet Laube and discuss buying his business. As I recall, Laube was looking to sell everything, name, patents and equipment, and offered to train Dennis as part of the deal and Dennis could come out of the deal making Laube cues. I think Dennis was more interested in making cues of the Hemstetter design. Carl Conlon was coming back from Japan with revolutionary Helmstetter 3-Cushion cues, and those were rather inspiring. However, Dennis may have subsequently bought some of Laube's equipment (for some reason I believe that the one lathe that Dennis has ever owned he may have obtained from Laube, but you should check with Dennis on that). If it is Laube's lathe, several great 3-Cushion player's cues were subsequently turned on it, as well the Predator design being invented on it.

Laube was the first cue maker I met. We sat around in his living room, drinking coffee out of Styrofoam cups. I later moved to Los Angeles. Dieckman came out to visit and started going to Bert Schrager's place to apprentice the art of cue building. Schrager made me my first custom. Bert and I sat around drinking coffee in Styrofoam cups.

The 3rd cue builder I met was Tad Kohara. We hung out in his shop in Stanton in the late 70s, drinking coffee out of Styrofoam cups. At that point I thought it was Cue Maker 101, until I met Ernie Gutierrez. If Ernie drank coffee (he doesn't that I know of) it would be of some fresh-grown beans, hand-picked by some gentleman coffee baron that Ernie had made a cue for, brewed by some state of the art machine that he had tinkered with to make it better, faster and more precise and he'd be sipping it out of a silver hand crafted and bejeweled Pimp Cup with a perfectly milled Ivory handle.

Thanks

Kevin

Last edited:

freddy the beard

Freddy Bentivegna
Silver Member
I knew Sandy's dad for 30 yrs. George Fels summed Eddie up pretty much. Eddie did do a marvelous turnaround. The "bad" Eddie might have had a lot to do with his drinking days because his act cleaned up considerably once he gave up drinking -- and he was a heavy drinker.
I always got along good with the old scoundrel. He was an old time scuff and I always respected that anyway. Like George Fels said, he mellowed even more once he started making cues.
We made a few bucks together when he was doing the cues.
I forgot how the hell I got this photo of him. He either sent it to me or gave it to George Fels to give to me. Either way, it's from when he moved to Alabama? George said Arkansas, but I kinda remember it was Alabama.

If Sandy wants to talk about her dad she can email me at Bankingwiththebeard@comcast.net.

Beard

Attachments

• e laube0001 (430 x 600).jpg
    e laube0001 (430 x 600).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 904

bob c

In the Eye of the Storm
Silver Member
When I was a much younger and living in the Chicago suburbs most everyone aspired to owning an Eddie Laube cue. I didn't get my first one until 1988 or 89. I acquired another several years later. Here are photos of my Laubes. Note the different joint he used.

bob c

Attachments

• Laube Cues 2.LR copy.jpg
    Laube Cues 2.LR copy.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 804
  • Laube Cues 3.LR copy.jpg
    Laube Cues 3.LR copy.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 794
  • Laube Cues 4LR copy.jpg
    Laube Cues 4LR copy.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 782
  • Eddie Laube 5LR..jpg
    Eddie Laube 5LR..jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 768

SANDY LAUBE

Registered
Hi Everyone,This Is Frank Sandy's Husband. Sandy Is Looking Forward To Speaking With All Of You. IT Will Be After 10/15 As Sandy Does Tax Returns And Is Swamped With Clients Coming In Before The 10/15 Deadline.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Chris

That's a very cool deal selling that old cue to Mr. Laube's daughter. I've sold several collectibles and many paintings to the heirs of the artist. I just last month sold a painting to a woman that, by coincidence, lived in the artist's house, which she is now actively filling with paintings he made in the 1940s.

I met Eddie Laube some time in the early 1970s. Dennis Dieckman was looking to start making cues and he and I traveled together to meet Laube and discuss buying his business. As I recall, Laube was looking to sell everything, name, patents and equipment, and offered to train Dennis as part of the deal and Dennis could come out of the deal making Laube cues. I think Dennis was more interested in making cues of the Hemstetter design. Carl Conlon was coming back from Japan with revolutionary Helmstetter 3-Cushion cues, and those were rather inspiring. However, Dennis may have subsequently bought some of Laube's equipment (for some reason I believe that the one lathe that Dennis has ever owned he may have obtained from Laube, but you should check with Dennis on that). If it is Laube's lathe, several great 3-Cushion player's cues were subsequently turned on it, as well the Predator design being invented on it.

Laube was the first cue maker I met. We sat around in his living room, drinking coffee out of Styrofoam cups. I later moved to Los Angeles. Dieckman came out to visit and started going to Bert Schrager's place to apprentice the art of cue building. Schrager made me my first custom. Bert and I sat around drinking coffee in Styrofoam cups.

The 3rd cue builder I met was Tad Kohara. We hung out in his shop in Stanton in the late 70s, drinking coffee out of Styrofoam cups. At that point I thought it was Cue Maker 101, until I met Ernie Gutierrez. If Ernie drank coffee (he doesn't that I know of) it would be of some fresh-grown beans, hand-picked by some gentleman coffee baron that Ernie had made a cue for, brewed by some state of the art machine that he had tinkered with to make it better, faster and more precise and he'd be sipping it out of a silver hand crafted and bejeweled Pimp Cup with a perfectly milled Ivory handle.

Thanks

Kevin

That storytelling would rival Samuel Clemens himself - good stuff.

By the way, I just threw out my styrofoam cups and unloaded all my stock in styrofoam cup makers!

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Hi Everyone,This Is Frank Sandy's Husband. Sandy Is Looking Forward To Speaking With All Of You. IT Will Be After 10/15 As Sandy Does Tax Returns And Is Swamped With Clients Coming In Before The 10/15 Deadline.

Frank and Sandy,

Welcome to AZ billiards! We already found two potentially great sources of information for you, Freddy the Beard and hopefully Frank Stellman, known as "Sailor" out of Racine.

Freddy was imentioned as a long time friend of Eddie's in George's article and I am really excited that he came forward.

I am packing up your cue as we speak - -and will have it off Fed Ex to you today!

Chris

Last edited:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
When I was a much younger and living in the Chicago suburbs most everyone aspired to owning an Eddie Laube cue. I didn't get my first one until 1988 or 89. I acquired another several years later. Here are photos of my Laubes. Note the different joint he used.

bob c

Those are cool cues Bob.

I've hit balls with lots of cues, but I've not encountered a more solid cue than a Laube. They are built like a tank and it's no wonder they hold up so well over time.

kvinbrwr

Skee Ball Monster Playa
Gold Member
Frank and Sandy

You guys should talk to Dennis Dieckman. Dieckman is /was a cue maker and credits Ed Laube for his start in the trade.

Kevin

Last edited: