Don't Get Hurt or Injured When You Are Old........

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thoughts and prayers to you, Matt, and all of
you other gentlemen in this thread. Man, I'm
44 right now, is this what I have to look forward
to? I wish all of you guys the best!

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would also advise not getting hurt or injured when you are young (when you think that you are invincible). All those injuries from my youth which the doctors said I would regret as I got older are coming home to roost.

Sorry to hear about your repeated shoulder problems. Shoulder surgery can be quite difficult to recuperate.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Lakeman, you're right. It takes longer to heal.
Toncam, I wish you the best of luck. Eat healthy and keep a positive attitude.
Gary, you're a cat, man. You've got nine lives. Enjoy them all.
Claymont, you're doing good.
Lomont, even though they aren't allowed to be worn in my pool hall, I suggest one of those sleeveless wife-beater shirts. One that has a picture of a supercharged V8 on the front with the words: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown."
Fan-tum, go see another Doctor. That's a lot of pills, my friend.
Phil, you're a train wreck, but I love your sense of humor.
Hang in there, Matt. You'll be fine.
Let's all meet back here in a year and tell everyone how we're doing. If anyone else out there wants to join up, please do. We're called the (someone think of a cool name). :)

I belong to an informal group that has no dues, no meetings, and we all have the same title, COB...Crusty Old Bastards. Youngsters need to be aware for we are everywhere.

Yeah, I just turned 72...and have had my share of medical experiences.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I belong to an informal group that has no dues, no meetings, and we all have the same title, COB...Crusty Old Bastards. Youngsters need to be aware for we are everywhere.
Yeah, I just turned 72...and have had my share of medical experiences.

Good post, pw.
We could call ourselves:
1. The S.O.B.s.(Sneaky Old Bastards).
2. The S.O.B.s. (Senile Old Bastards).
3. The S.O.B.s. (Sexy Old Bastards).
I'm going with number three.
You must be on Medicare to join, and at least room temperature when you do. No initiation fees. No dues. And, at least every once in a while, check in here at AZ just to let everyone know you're still at room temperature. :smile:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thoughts and prayers to you, Matt, and all of
you other gentlemen in this thread. Man, I'm
44 right now, is this what I have to look forward
to? I wish all of you guys the best!

lol.:D

actually...aside from complications from the injury i spoke of in my previous post i believe i am in pretty good health for my age.

i get a little short winded sometimes from smoking ....yea i know i need to quit.

aside from a few stints in supervisory positions i have done physical work all my life and i believe it has helped keep me in shape.

i weigh the same now as i did when i was 30 years old. my g/f is 10 years younger than me and i am in a whole lot better shape than she is.

i have had a lot of women tell me i look damn good for my age back when i was bar hopping a few years ago when the subject came up. they always wanna know how old you are but you better never ask them lol. more than once i had to show them my id because they refused to believe me.

. just last week at league a woman in her late 30's was asking my g/f about our age difference. when she was told i was 61 she commented that i looked good.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's no judge or jury award on workers comp cases in California and I believe 11 other states that have enacted similar changes to their WC laws.

Do you know if Colorado is one of these states? The reason I ask is that some time ago a very close friend of mine lost a finger in a pipeline accident while working in Colorado, and he got basically nothing from WC for his loss.

The guy was a world-class fingerstyle guitarist before the accident, and the loss of his left ring finger effectively ended his musical career. The real tragedy for him was that he was just a temp hired as a pencil pusher, but that day they were very shorthanded and the company forced him to go out into the field without training. All he had to do was hold the big pipe segments to prevent them from swinging around after they were moved into place with a crane, but two of them kissed together for an instant, and when they separated there was nothing left of the finger that was resting at the contact point.

This occurred many, many years ago, but as I remember he got like $800 total compensation for the finger. He used to get more than $800/night for his performances at coffee houses and colleges around the country, but I suppose he could still hold pipes in place with only 9 fingers, so maybe that was the rationale they used against him.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
I think I qualify for membership thus far.

Tore my ACL playing baseball July 2014 at age 52. Got a "new" cadaver ACL but had many complications (think the donor must have been a democrat)

Two more surgeries followed due to the condition with painful and aggressive physical therapy.

I'm only back to about 70%, slight limp, and lots of stiffness if I sit down and bend my knee for more than 15 minutes.

Last surgery was in August. They are sending me back for more P/T this week for twice a week for the next few months, and of course MORE meds. IF that dos not work I'm gonna start rubbing Magic Chalk on my knee... hey, what do I have to lose.

Doctor said my "impact" sports days are over. No baseball, no running, no tennis, etc. Biking and pool are good according to him. But after 2 hours of playing the knee gets tired, so tourneys might be a little rough, but there are a lot of breaks at least.

But already told the team (yeah they won their first championship this year without me) that I'm coming back, and moving from short stop to first base since I'm a little gimpy.

The wife doesn't know yet, but she also does NOT know the doctor has put impact sports on the strict "verboten" list ;) Of course, if she see's me at first base she might think something is up.

PS: Name for this new AZB Club:

"Geezers, Wheezers and Teasers" - because we are old (geezers) and we are sick and/or injured (wheezers) and we still play pool (barely) while we watch the eye candy at the pool room (teasers)

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
I think I qualify for membership thus far.
Name for this new AZB Club: "Geezers, Wheezers and Teasers"

Not bad, RJ. So far we have:
1. Geezers, Wheezers, and Teasers.
2. The S.O.B.s (Sexy Old Bastards).

Who's next?

Not meaning to hijack Matts thread, either :)

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you saying 7 years and this being paid about cancer ??? Whoa !! I got mine done in about 4-5 months. Unless you said something and I miss something.

No, my wife's injury occurred at her job. The hospital she worked at was self insured and they prided themselves on not losing Comp cases. Consequently, they took things to the extreme.

My cancers were not job related. They started in 95 and the most recent was vocal cord cancer in 2013. My oncologist says it unusual to have had 3 different strains of cancer.

Sorry I hadn't made that clear enough.