How Would You Play This? Safety Time

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, this situation came up yesterday in a league match that allows coaching. My teammate had ball-in-hand and her opponent was on two fouls. Feel free to post your approach to safeing here along with an explanation on why. I'm sure the better players will see it immediately but there's definitely a lesson to learn from this. I'll tell you what I coached her to do later today.

Killer Safe.jpg

rramsey0011

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would bank the one up table behind the 5 and 7 playing the cue ball into the 9 to break out the 6 leaving the CB on the 9.

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Shooting the CB from beside the 8, I'd push the 1B uptable and roll the CB up behind the 5-7. It is a very straight (almost full ball) hit and easy to control. If you can nestle the CB into the 5-7 then it's a very hard escape too.

Dave

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, trying to win on fouls means trying to get the best lock and not touching the 6/9.

Shoot the one up table between the 5 and 3 with top english so that the cue ball comes up behind the 5 and 7 (a little short is far better than moving one out of the way) taking both forward kicks out. The one is aimed so it banks back out to about the 2nd diamond somewhere behind the 3 in hopes the 3 blocks the long kick. Having to bridge over the 5 and 7 for a long kick is a bonus.

rramsey0011

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooting the CB from beside the 8, I'd push the 1B uptable and roll the CB up behind the 5-7. It is a very straight (almost full ball) hit and easy to control. If you can nestle the CB into the 5-7 then it's a very hard escape too.

Dave

I considered this at first, but I feel with ball in hand that this is the most opportune time to get the 6 away from the 9. I love these threads, it allows me to look at shots in a different perspective and it allows me to pick the brains of better players.

*Now that I see that they are on two fouls, I would do this all day long.

Last edited:

zpele

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd likely hit the 9 with the 1 and hide the cueball behind the 8. This serves two purposes- you unblock the 6 and keep the one in close proximity to the other balls ensuring that every shit is a short shot.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would bank the one up table behind the 5 and 7 playing the cue ball into the 9 to break out the 6 leaving the CB on the 9.

The whole idea of three fouling is to not have to break up balls. Your plan leads to failure.

IMO, trying to win on fouls means trying to get the best lock and not touching the 6/9.

Shoot the one up table between the 5 and 3 with top english so that the cue ball comes up behind the 5 and 7 (a little short is far better than moving one out of the way) taking both forward kicks out. The one is aimed so it banks back out to about the 2nd diamond somewhere behind the 3 in hopes the 3 blocks the long kick. Having to bridge over the 5 and 7 for a long kick is a bonus.

While this is the shot most people will choose to shoot, the two and three rail kicks are still open.

The correct safety is to shoot the 1 ball just to the right of that bottom side pocket banking it out to two diamonds from the 5-7 while locking the cue ball to the 5-7. This eliminates all one rail kicks by default. Due to the position of the 9-6 that two rail kick is eliminated. Due to the position of the 4 that two rail is also gone. So the only options are a three or four rail kick. Since the 1 ball is so far from the third rail it'll be better to go four rails to attempt a hit. At that point most people will not be accurate enough off a four rail with the speed required to make a legal contact. Let alone the 3 ball might be in the way on the four rail.

I considered this at first, but I feel with ball in hand that this is the most opportune time to get the 6 away from the 9. I love these threads, it allows me to look at shots in a different perspective and it allows me to pick the brains of better players.

*Now that I see that they are on two fouls, I would do this all day long.

I'd likely hit the 9 with the 1 and hide the cueball behind the 8. This serves two purposes- you unblock the 6 and keep the one in close proximity to the other balls ensuring that every shit is a short shot.

Guys keep in mind your opponent is on two fouls and you are going for a three foul. Both suggestions are wrong and don't win you the game on that shot.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Push the one to the side rail so it between the rail and 8 ball while freezing the cue ball to the 8.

I'd play the one softly to the rail in the bottom of the layout and roll up softly on the eight for a bunch of reasons?

-It's natural and easy.
-It has a relatively large margin for error.
-All of the common kick angles are removed.
-If, by some miracle a hit is made, the likely direction for the hit is to bring the one back toward the 9/6 cluster.
-The most likely pocket for a miracle shot is by the 9/6 and it is highly unlikely that the 3 will be visible after.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Dave

This would be my shot also. With the other player already on 2 and the 6/9 botched up for the runout, it's a no brainer.
The ultimate goal is to get the 1 near the end rail and get the cue ball very close to the 5 and 7. You want to make sure not to bump the 5 or 7 and leave an open shot, this would be key.
What is tempting as a good shooter is shooting the 1 off the side of the 9 ball into the corner pocket. This would open up the balls for the runout and put the fear of the pool gods into your opponent :) A successful runout from here and your opponent may feel a slight tightening of the elbow their next turn at the table....

Last edited:

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Push the one to the side rail so it between the rail and 8 ball while freezing the cue ball to the 8.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Wanna take the liberty of explaining the advantages to this shot?

While leaving such an easy two rail kick there? That's the shot you chose to have them play? Sorry but you also forgot to include their opponent has no clue how to kick.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This would be my shot also. With the other player already on 2 and the 6/9 botched up for the runout, it's a no brainer.
The ultimate goal is to get the 1 near the end rail and get the cue ball very close to the 5 and 7. You want to make sure not to bump the 5 or 7 and leave an open shot, this would be key.
What is tempting as a good shooter is shooting the 1 off the side of the 9 ball into the corner pocket. This would open up the balls for the runout and put the fear of the pool gods into your opponent :) A successful runout from here and your opponent may feel a slight tightening of the elbow their next turn at the table....

The problem with leaving the 1 ball near a rail is it makes contact much easier. With that shot the two rail escape is easy.

tucson9ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

While being a good option and very difficult to hit, it's also difficult for a beginner shooter to have the light touch required for this shot.
The key words here was "coaching allowed". I'm assuming the shooter lacks the skill to shoot lightly, most beginners like to shoot a lil hard.