Old
  (#16)
BilliardsAbout
Billiards.About.com
BilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond reputeBilliardsAbout has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-05-2017, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Looks to be a little less than a ball at closest address, so about two inches.
You may have noticed even that player kept jiggling his tip closer to the cue ball to finish his last practice strokes, before pulling the trigger--looked like inside two inches to me but I didn't look closely.

Two inches from the ball is 80% of a typical cue ball's size off the cue ball. You risk missing the point of cue ball aim as the final stroke lunges past where you took practice strokes.

Using a rap stroke, I can be over an inch out, but try some shots with the two-inch gap, full strokes with the backstroke bringing the ferrule all the way back... timing becomes incredibly tricky.

I'm not going to allow my students to use massive tip gaps and I'm not going to suggest they use a McCready or Hoppe set of fundamentals, either.

-- Matt Sherman

Guide to Pool and Billiards, About.com
Instruction Staff, InsidePool Magazine
Author, book/DVD combo, Picture Yourself Shooting Pool

Old
  (#17)
pooltchr
Prof. Billiard Instructor
pooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond reputepooltchr has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-12-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lee View Post

All of these things are measurable...if you know what and how to measure them. Stance is one of the smallest parts of having much to do with how close you get your tip. That said, stance has a LOT to do with how you line up on the shot, and how accurately you're able to deliver the cuestick. jmo

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
Something I learned from Fred Smith (CEO FedEx) years ago.
"You can't manage what you can't measure"
He was talking business, but it applies to pool as well.

Steve Jennings
PBIA Master Instructor

www.playbetterbilliards.com

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: