Your ideal table

DavidNYC83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So as the thread says what would your ideal table be? More than just a name, but actual specs. I recently bout a house with the family, and the wife let me lay claim to the basement (in the process of a renovation). As far as space constraints, there will be none. Lucky me. Price wise? She understands the concept of quality over quantity and did not really set a budget, but will not go above $15,000.00 for a new table. I know I want a 9 or 10 footer, single slab with drop pockets. I was looking at the diamond pro, the gold crown V and the Mackenzie also by Brunswick (attached the link below). But I was curious as to everyone else's thoughts on what their ideal tables would be. Thanks all.

https://www.brunswickbilliards.com/pool-tables/mackenzie

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
single slab 9 or 10ft? yikes, gonna need a fork truck to load and move it on the table, and say a few prayers that it dont break

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
my ideal pool table, something very old,10ft big pockets for straight pool, or a brunswick metro, black finish

billiard table, a gabriels imperator classic, not even made anymore, 10ft and heated of course

Last edited:

DavidNYC83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
single slab 9 or 10ft? yikes, gonna need a fork truck to load and move it on the table, and say a few prayers that it dont break

Lol I thought of that. But luckily the basement has a seperate entrance into the yard with wide double doors and high cielings. Since I'm on a going out budget for the next 3 years the wife is letting me set the house up so we are comfortable lol.

Wheels33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So as the thread says what would your ideal table be? More than just a name, but actual specs. I recently bout a house with the family, and the wife let me lay claim to the basement (in the process of a renovation). As far as space constraints, there will be none. Lucky me. Price wise? She understands the concept of quality over quantity and did not really set a budget, but will not go above $15,000.00 for a new table. I know I want a 9 or 10 footer, single slab with drop pockets. I was looking at the diamond pro, the gold crown V and the Mackenzie also by Brunswick (attached the link below). But I was curious as to everyone else's thoughts on what their ideal tables would be. Thanks all.

https://www.brunswickbilliards.com/pool-tables/mackenzie

I was in that situation.....spent a while researching and picking out my dream table to set up in our house.

If I was doing it over again, I wouldn't change a thing.......find an old Gold Crown 1 or 2 in great shape, have a top table mechanic extend the sub rails to my liking and set up the table with new cloth to absolute perfection. In the end you'd be looking at spending anywhere from $2500 to $3500.

A brand new from factory Gold Crown 5 for over 10K? No way it plays better than my GC 1.

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was in that situation.....spent a while researching and picking out my dream table to set up in our house.

If I was doing it over again, I wouldn't change a thing.......find an old Gold Crown 1 or 2 in great shape, have a top table mechanic extend the sub rails to my liking and set up the table with new cloth to absolute perfection. In the end you'd be looking at spending anywhere from $2500 to $3500.

A brand new from factory Gold Crown 5 for over 10K? No way it plays better than my GC 1.

We have a winner!!!! If it's the table in your avatar, you've hit it out of the park. Brian.

DavidNYC83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Was thinking of going this route as well. I just have always had bad luck going used. But for this and getting a great table mechanic, I think this may be a suitable option. What type of cloth did you choose. And does anyone know how the Mackenzie from Brunswick plays. Is it similar to the gc with just a different frame essentially?

Wheels33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was thinking of going this route as well. I just have always had bad luck going used. But for this and getting a great table mechanic, I think this may be a suitable option. What type of cloth did you choose. And does anyone know how the Mackenzie from Brunswick plays. Is it similar to the gc with just a different frame essentially?

I have Simonis 860 HR. Pockets are 4 3/8" with superspeed cushions.

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like the Metro over the Gold Crown because of the way the pocket are setup. I don't see any difference in the way either of them play, I just think the Metro looks better.---Smitty

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I like the Metro over the Gold Crown because of the way the pocket are setup. I don't see any difference in the way either of them play, I just think the Metro looks better.---Smitty

Same! The metro is my favorite modern pool table

Brkem9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ideal table

my question is did you find a table? I have several, gold crown 1 & 2s, high end Brunswick antiques, 8,9,& 10'.

RickLafayette

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a question. Why do 9 out of 10 home pool tables have drop pockets instead of gully return pockets? Why do most pool table owners (home, not pool hall) have drop pockets? Is it the expense? Do gully returns have design problems?
I've never owned a table before due to a lack of room but I might be buying a new home next year and am in the info gathering process for now.
Thanks for any insight anyone can share.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
I don't know I'm converting my olhausen home model to ball return

There is just no need on earth for drop pockets
Gets in the way and is annoying as hell

DavidNYC83

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Personally, i've always preferred Drop pockets to ball return. Never had a issue that couldn't be corrected with the ball return, but there was always something with the drop pockets that's just timeless for me.

And Brkem, I think I'm going to be going the Diamond route.

PhilosopherKing

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my ideal table:

Attachments

• dessert-table.jpg
    dessert-table.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 889

Harvey@Diamond

Verified Business Rep
1 piece slat no problem, as long as its on ground floor install. Table rolls in on a cart and lays down. Be glad to help you. 9 ft Professional $6600.00 + shipping