Why No Threads?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hows come there really aren't any new threads in this Ask The Instructor forum anymore? Seems like it would have new questions and topics all the time.

I have a lot of things I could start threads on (shots, position, mechanics, etc) but I figure posters would get mad and claim that I need to quit posting so much, that i'm taking up Forum space. And then, before long, I would get told to stop or get banned.

r/Mike

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This isn't anything like the main forum. It's not unusual for time to go by before someone asks a question in this forum.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
Hows come there really aren't any new threads in this Ask The Instructor forum anymore? Seems like it would have new questions and topics all the time.

I have a lot of things I could start threads on (shots, position, mechanics, etc) but I figure posters would get mad and claim that I need to quit posting so much, that i'm taking up Forum space. And then, before long, I would get told to stop or get banned.

r/Mike

I think this section is the most underutilized part of the forum by far. With all of the other subforums it kind of gets lost in the shuffle down at the bottom of the page. I suspect a lot of people don't even realize it's here, or that actual instructors will gladly answer questions.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Compared to other sports, pool players take fewer lessons per capita. Many players don't want to ask instructors questions. They are introverted or afraid they won't like the answer or their friends at the poolroom are oh-so-knowledgeable and tell them what to do!

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not it, Matt. It is the lack of opportunity to GET professional lessons that is responsible for fewer poolplayers taking lessons. We have about 200 PBIA instructors, and perhaps another 100 others who are not PBIA. That's about 300 teachers to service 10 million players...simply not possible. There are plenty of places to go and people to see, to learn about most other sports.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Compared to other sports, pool players take fewer lessons per capita. Many players don't want to ask instructors questions. They are introverted or afraid they won't like the answer or their friends at the poolroom are oh-so-knowledgeable and tell them what to do!

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flamed

I wouldn't post a question here, you will be called all kinds of an idiot. You will

definitely get ridiculed by many posters. It's just not worth it.That's why there

are no questions here anymore... Oh,that's just my opinion too

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its the positioning of it on the main page. When the makeover occurred long ago i mentioned it to the moderators. Stating the main reason for the site was for people to learn. Why hide this at the very bottom? They thought it unimportant I suppose. I guess somebody has to be on the bottom of the list but maybe look at post dates to determine the order and whats important?

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/Mike

Okay Mike. Here is one for ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W02NfaMnT6I

Just try'in to help.

John :)

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wouldn't post a question here, you will be called all kinds of an idiot. You will

definitely get ridiculed by many posters. It's just not worth it.That's why there

are no questions here anymore... Oh,that's just my opinion too

I'm curious ---- which posters would ridicule you for posting a question here?

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
That's not it, Matt. It is the lack of opportunity to GET professional lessons that is responsible for fewer poolplayers taking lessons. We have about 200 PBIA instructors, and perhaps another 100 others who are not PBIA. That's about 300 teachers to service 10 million players...simply not possible. There are plenty of places to go and people to see, to learn about most other sports.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

It's both and... both a lack of teachers and a lack of enthusiasm IMHO. Every golf course in the country has a pro and assistant teaching pros. Every tennis center has a place to take lessons. Most poolrooms have dumped the opportunity to have a house man in to teach... however, pool players read far fewer books and buy far fewer DVDs per capita... there may not be teachers everywhere, but pool players seems to use less YouTube free instruction for pool than others do for their sports...

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's both and... both a lack of teachers and a lack of enthusiasm IMHO. Every golf course in the country has a pro and assistant teaching pros. Every tennis center has a place to take lessons. Most poolrooms have dumped the opportunity to have a house man in to teach... however, pool players read far fewer books and buy far fewer DVDs per capita... there may not be teachers everywhere, but pool players seems to use less YouTube free instruction for pool than others do for their sports...

I'm going to agree with this take. For me personally, I drifted in and out of books and pool halls for 8 years never believing I was worthy enough for instruction. I watched pros for years, even bought my own table. Spent money on cues and instructional dvds but never once thought to go to professional instruction.

And it wasn't that there was a lack of opportunities, I think it was my misguided views on the sport. I only learned about lessons once I started lurking on AZ. Also I stumbled upon the European approach to the game with Ralf Eckert and the PAT material. This flew in the face of the American pool hall mentality off just hit a million balls and put yourself in matches against better players. Now those are also very important but to get proper instruction from the start is priceless and just not talked about as widely in the American pool scene.

Thorsten Hohmann talked about walking into a billiards club when he was young and the man that opened the door for him was his instructor on that very first day and still instructs him today.

I was intrigued by this whole approach and I immediately sought out professional instruction 1.5 years ago and I am extremely grateful that I did.

But for so many years, the introverted aspect of the game and misguided thoughts on the approach to the sport held me back from seeking that instruction.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

r/Mike

I asked a question a while back and got three answers only one of which was even tangentially related to my question. As someone who spent 15 years teaching (math) I found it really discouraging that teachers did not listen to (read) the question before answering.

Last edited:

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked a question a while back and got three answers only one of which was even tangentially related to my question. As someone who spent 15 years teaching (math) I found it really discouraging that teachers did not listen to (read) the question before answering.

You should have never let them get away with it. Call them out on the carpet when they do that. ( Including me)

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fran

I really don't want to take the time to dig through all the posts of a newer

player that was asking a question and most of the time there were several samrta$$

answers and ridiculing for not knowing already. I will have to say I have never seen

you do that

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really don't want to take the time to dig through all the posts of a newer

player that was asking a question and most of the time there were several samrta$$

answers and ridiculing for not knowing already. I will have to say I have never seen

you do that

Oh, I get what you mean now. I thought you meant that certain other posters in the main forum would ridicule you for posting a question to instructors.

Yes, you're right that some instructors have definitely answered questions with a lack of respect for the posters. At least two names come to my mind. They seem to be repeat offenders, too. Don't let the bad ones stop you from improving your game and from getting some good information. There are some pretty great minds in this forum and lots of good people willing to help.

.... And when the rude ones chime in, tell them to go take a hike.

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member

r/Mike

I'd like to see you post some of those threads. The problems that arise are by folks
posting their own replies (true or not) thinking they have ALL the answers. Some of
these folks chime in with absolute garbage. I've read essays written by some these
non-instructors. If only qualified instructors would answer questions, many folks can
learn facts instead of fiction.

Of course you do have a few non-instructors, that actually give some decent advice
that could be helpful to someone struggling with the game. At times there may be a
question that doesn't get answered for days. That poor soul probably comes on this
site every day looking for an answer. I've chimed in with something I thought would
would be helpful.. then get a reply from an instructor that says one or two words. He
might just say "Wrong" or "How can that be?"... Then after trying to interpret what I
was trying to say, never hear from him again. That's frustrating. Where the hell was
this instructor when someone asked his question in the first place?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd like to see you post some of those threads. The problems that arise are by folks
posting their own replies (true or not) thinking they have ALL the answers. Some of
these folks chime in with absolute garbage. I've read essays written by some these
non-instructors. If only qualified instructors would answer questions, many folks can
learn facts instead of fiction.

Of course you do have a few non-instructors, that actually give some decent advice
that could be helpful to someone struggling with the game. At times there may be a
question that doesn't get answered for days. That poor soul probably comes on this
site every day looking for an answer. I've chimed in with something I thought would
would be helpful.. then get a reply from an instructor that says one or two words. He
might just say "Wrong" or "How can that be?"... Then after trying to interpret what I
was trying to say, never hear from him again. That's frustrating. Where the hell was
this instructor when someone asked his question in the first place?

I agree with you 100%. I think it's a policing problem. I'm sure the mods don't have the time or the inclination to delete posts by non- instructors. I asked a very long time ago for people to please respect this forum and refrain from answering if they aren't an instructor. I suggested that if a poster wants opinions from both players and instructors they can post their question in both forums. I thought that was a logical solution.

I got blasted for suggesting this. I was accused of being a snob. I was called all kinds of names by both players and instructors alike for even suggesting such a thing. This at least led to some posters now identifying themselves as 'not an instructor' when they answer a question in this forum. I guess that's as good as it's going to get.

As for the rude instructor --- you guys have to start calling out these people on the carpet. You shouldn't let them get away with it.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I've been pretty fortunate, the times I've posted questions in this forum. I got many different replies, but most everyone was helpful and encouraging.

If something strikes me, I'll ask it here. I'm not shy.

Keep posting, DCP. I enjoy reading these threads, and often learn from them.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
they all PM Measureman.
what is your aiming system ?
hit it where it says go,send me a sawbuck and have a nice day.