what is an implex joint???

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i did a search here and google
not much info
im not a cuemaker(obvious:embarrassed2:)
can anyone help ??
also pros/cons to steel vs ivory joints
thanks

Piratejethro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Implex is what McDermott and I believe Meucci used to use for their "plastic" joints. Not terribly sure what exact material composition "Implex" is made of, but I still call most "plastic" joints by the name Implex, old habit from when I started playing serious pool and learning about cues. As far as the other question, I am a VERY beginner cuemaker, and don't think I am qualified to answer much, but I will give my opinion, for what it's worth. Ivory can crack, steel can't, not sure how an ivory jointed cue shoots, but I have had a few stainless jointed cues and they seem to shoot a little stiffer than most implex/plastic/phenolic/wood-wood jointed cues I have shot with. Now, that being said, there are exceptions to all of this, I recently shot with a implex-jointed Meucci that had some custom work done on it, had a G10 ball-screw joint pin installed, and had a 314-2 shaft mated to it and it shot stiffer than any Meucci I have ever seen, it shot REALLY well (I prefer a stiff hit). You probably need to try a few different combinations to find out what YOU prefer. If I am wrong about any of this, I apologize, I am only going on what I know about.

Last edited:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
i did a search here and google
not much info
im not a cuemaker(obvious:embarrassed2:)
can anyone help ??
also pros/cons to steel vs ivory joints
thanks

Not sure what type of plastic was called Implex, however, I purchased my first cue from Paul Heubler around 1974 or 1975 and the material he was using at that time he called Implex. It seemed pretty durable for the time, I use to break with the cue and generally used it for almost 15 years. The material never cracked, unlike the material Meucci was using later in the 1970's.

afftonbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
conetip - thanks for doing the research. I always thought "implex" was a made up expression Bob Meucci used for plastic joints. I visited the Meucci shop many years ago and was talking to a worker there. He's the one who told me it was just a gimmick word. Now I know.
Big Al

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I guess I missed the Meucci, McDermott quotes in their literature about Implex. But Viking definitely said Implex joint for their flat faced plastic joint collars back in the 80's

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Old thread, just read.......by me.

I have an old McDermott C-14 that I bought new and the joint was called implex at the time by the McDermott CO.

stevel

Lomax Custom Cues
Silver Member
I think a lot of cuemakers used the term implex because their cues were made with some type of plastic joint.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
From what I gather, Bob Runde used true Implex in his early cues including this early Schön I have. After the "real" stuff was no longer made, it surfaced again at some point and was used by many makers but it was Implex in name only since it's not believed to be the same material....

Thrasher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know the rarity of an R12 with implex joint? Or be able to direct me to a source for help?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

bstroud

Deceased
Implex was the name of an extruded plastic material made by Porth Plastics.

Dan an I used it early on for joints and butplates.

Looked like Ivory but not very strong.

Bill S.

Thrasher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Implex was the name of an extruded plastic material made by Porth Plastics.

Dan an I used it early on for joints and butplates.

Looked like Ivory but not very strong.

Bill S.
7d6d578af4a7fc94f6cbc4f164b72609.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk