Help me understand about 7 foot tables

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Not sure if that's a compliment or a slam, but either way I don't quite understand it.

I can be a little literal sometimes...

It's neither a compliment nor a slam. It's feedback with some reality information for you.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just play, enjoy yourself and be thankful why you still can.

Have a good day,

-Kat,

Dan_B

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
…and then, :smile: there is the modified 9’ about to come on the scene, not in any kind
of production form though, for the sole purpose to accommodate yet another
preference, discipline of the game. Billiards or is it pool is a way of communicating, it’s
great with all the different territories and their languages that can be spoken - shot by
all knowing what a win or loss means.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
All points are opinions, not just the last one.

I like big strokes, I like big breaks. I like tough shots, and I like watching tough shots get made. I don't like watching grown men punt balls around like an 8 year old, which is why I don't approve of super springy rails either.

The point about stretching was made because the fact is that reaching balls is in fact a factor to be considered on a 9 footer as well as on a snooker or carom table. It's a skill to play position in a manner where you can reach the shot properly, that is more or less completely taken out of the game by the bar box. And the point about strokes is true, but it is also true for diamond 9 footers but to a lesser extent. I played a tournament on a Diamond 9 footer, and when I came back home to my pool hall it felt wonderful to play on a snooker match tables with steel block cushions, because I could finally let my stroke out. If you have played on one of those, you'll know how absolutely absurd that is, as they are ridiculously fast, though the Diamond was even faster! The rails are so springy that all you do is punt, punt and punt again. I can't bear to watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDsAzH7Ru9k

Wouldnt it then not also be a skill to play position on a small table by not leaving the cue against a rail???

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I love playing on my 9' Gold Crown but all of the tournaments and leagues in our area are played on 7' tables. I didnt stop playing pool or whine about little tables when I found out I would only be competing on bar tables, I put a 7' table next to my 9' table to practice on. Whats the big deal whether you play on a 7' or 9' table??

us820

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will explain fully the 7' table popularity.Businesses pay rent based on square footage.The end.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Whats the big deal whether you play on a 7' or 9' table??

I don't like it, there's nothing I care for that makes me want to play on a small table
I only play 1pkt and 14.1 anyways

I also get nothing from seeing incredibly skilled pro level player's break and run out 78packs with magic racks on 7fters
Does nothing for me

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I own a nice GC1 with modified pockets and I love my table, I love the challenge of playing on the big tables. The only time I play on 7 footers is in the Super Billiards Expo.

But... Here's a thought. I play mostly in the APA in a place with all 9 footers. The 2's and 3's sometimes play 15 innings, often 10+ innings on those 9 footers. We start at 7 and we often don't finish until after 12.

I can't help but think that if our APA team played on 7 footers with 6 inch pockets (or whatever the Valley's are) we just might get home at a decent hour. After all who really enjoy's watching two people battle in out for two hours in a race to two.

So I'm thinking there really is a place for 7 footers, maybe just not in a pro tournament.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They're popular due to

- less space needed, more people packing
- idiot players wanting a videogame experience

A 7ft does not require a good stroke or that much position play, basically anything is on.
It can also get more difficult because there is less room for the same spaced balls.

In the end it's like sitting on a child's chair.

Cheers,
M

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
7-foot tables are great for children, non-serious players, drunks, and the cost-conscious.

What do you think there are more of - the above groups, or "pool people" who enjoy the challenge of 9-footers?

Duh.

PocketSpeed11

AzB Long Member
Silver Member
I have guys in my area who scoff at barboxes, yet none of them are willing to gamble me on any size table. It makes me wonder how many of the barbox haters here are actual "players."

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
pool snobs. LOL.

I played baseball and softball. Oh, softball is not "real" baseball, because it's slow pitch and the ball is 12" versus only 9" for baseball.

It's on a smaller field than baseball as well. The bases are closer as well. Guess what, it's still fun.

If you don't like 7 footers, don't play on them, nobody cares. I like both. I grew up in my fathers pool room that only had 9 footers, I didn't even know they made 7 footers. I have a 9 footer in my basement. One league is all 9 footers, but state and national tournaments and lots of local leagues and tourneys are played on 7 footers. So, if you want to compete, you need to play on them as well. If you want to play with your buddies, you will be playing on them too.

And if folks think you don't have play position play on a 7 footer, you have no idea what you're talking about. The 7 foot requires a bit more, as the traffic is in "tighter" areas. And yep, running out a tough rack on a small table is fun. And watching someone else run a tough table is enjoyable as well. And yeah, some players will never have the stroke to compete on a 9 footer, just like some softball players will NEVER be able to hit a pitch over 80mph. so what?

If there were no 7 foot tables, you could kiss state and Nat'l tourneys good bye, there would be a fraction of leagues in existence. Bars probably would not even have tables.Thus, our little niche sport would be down to almost nothing in the US. yeah, that would be outstanding for the game ? Sorry, but amateur players are keeping the sport alive. There are more 7 footers in Chicago area than 9 footers, I can guarantee you that.

And in all my time playing baseball, over 40 years of playing, I've never heard folks b1tch and moan about the less competitive "softball" players, nor point and ridicule softball fields while we walked over to the baseball field. Heck, they might not be as "good" as us, but they love the sport, they buy equipment, and they're having fun. What's not to like ?

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Excellent post, RJ....^^^^^^^^^^^^

You said it all....you are allowed to drop the mic

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
pool snobs. LOL.

I played baseball and softball. Oh, softball is not "real" baseball, because it's slow pitch and the ball is 12" versus only 9" for baseball.

It's on a smaller field than baseball as well. The bases are closer as well. Guess what, it's still fun.

If you don't like 7 footers, don't play on them, nobody cares. I like both. I grew up in my fathers pool room that only had 9 footers, I didn't even know they made 7 footers. I have a 9 footer in my basement. One league is all 9 footers, but state and national tournaments and lots of local leagues and tourneys are played on 7 footers. So, if you want to compete, you need to play on them as well. If you want to play with your buddies, you will be playing on them too.

And if folks think you don't have play position play on a 7 footer, you have no idea what you're talking about. The 7 foot requires a bit more, as the traffic is in "tighter" areas. And yep, running out a tough rack on a small table is fun. I watching someone else run a tough table is enjoyable as well. And yeah, some players will never have the stroke to compete on a 9 footer, just like some softball players will NEVER be able to hit a pitch over 80mph. so what?

If there were no 7 foot tables, you could kiss state and Nat'l tourneys good bye, there would be a fraction of leagues in existence. Bars probably would not even have tables.Thus, our little niche sport would be down to almost nothing in the US. yeah, that would be outstanding for the game ? Sorry, but amateur players are keeping the sport alive. There are more 7 footers in Chicago area than 9 footers, I can guarantee you that.

And in all my time playing baseball, over 40 years of playing, I've never heard folks b1tch and moan about the less competitive "softball" players, nor point and ridicule softball fields while we walked over to the baseball field. Heck, they might not be as "good" as us, but they love the sport, they buy equipment, and they're having fun. What's not to like ?

"There are more 7 footers in Chicago area than 9 footers.." I'm sorry, but this is a huge problem and not something to be happy about. The rest of the world are playing on 9 and 12 footers...If you want the US to be competitive, that's where the play must happen. Look, if some random guy is having fun on a 7 footer in his local bar, thats great. Maybe he'll get into pool and graduate to the larger surface, or continue on that equipment and have fun with his fellow bar players. Either way that's not something I have any problem with.

How would you feel if the world series of baseball suddenly became slow pitch softball? You know, to make the softball players more competitive? I'm guessing you'd not be happy about that. I happen to love pool. I don't want to see US opens on 7 footers. I think that's a bloody travesty! Make no mistake: Pool is under attack. The people in charge of the game either do not give a damned or have directly conflicting interest with us enthusiasts. They want banger money, they want more tables in less space, they want to pay out less money and they don't want professionals. Professionals have demands, they don't put up with bull crap. Amateurs are a dime a dozen. Screw them over and you've got 200 waiting in line to pay without making waves, or inconveniecing the industry agenda.

Slowly but surely the real, professional quality pool game is being phased out and replaced with something else. A random, unskilled game of chance! Handicaps, small tables, bars as tournament venues...I'm sorry but that's just not pool. Who are the winners in all of this: Well the guy that plays once a week and sandbags, the tournament directors and equipment manufactureres. The people who lose are those who take the game seriously and are now being told that they have no place in the sport, that their aquired skill is a detriment to the game because it makes the amateurs feel bad and are told that they are no longer welcome at the events. I'm not a pro, nor do I aspire to be one, but having pros is a very important thing. It gives you something to look up to, it establishes a standard and keeps pushing it ever forwards. With all amateurs and no proper tournaments, other than handicapped bar box ones, the industry will dictate all the equipment specs and they've allready sabotaged the sport so much that it pains to think of what they'll do next! How about making the tables 6 foot long instead of 7, slate is expensive and with 6 footers MDF will be just as good. Why stop there? If you make the balls smaller you can decrease the playing surface area even more, and balls will be less expensive...etc etc.

I love this game, and I'll be damned if I'm going to stand by quietly or even applaud people flushing the entire heritage of the game down the drain and replacing it with this garbage. What's the point of "saving pool", as it is often claimed this small table bs is doing, when what is left is not worth saving? I have no beef with people who love playing on 7 footers. If they like it, then let them enjoy it. I do have a problem with people claiming that this is the future of pool and that's the end of the discussion, and I especially have a problem with people claiming this is saving pool! I will not be short-changed and then pretend to be happy about it, and neither should anyone else.

Last edited: