• Instructional videos/books/hiring an instructor

Votes: 31 42.5%
  • Drills

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Running balls - the ghost, 14.1 etc

Votes: 16 21.9%
  • Balk line billiards - all the top players started this way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't like these scientific questions - do I look like Einstein?

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm saying drills! But.............instructors, dvds, better players know what drills are best!

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Such a loaded question. It's many things.

You have to seek the knowledge.

You need to put in the practice.

Discipline.

Develop mastery, that is a knowing of you can do this shot, the whole shot w the leave.

Above all else is a passion for the game.

Each one of those has multiple facets.

Where you limit yourself is when you skip or don't do enough of one of those.

I put in tons of practice when I got back into pool about ten years ago or more. Got much, much better. But it wasnt until I consistently played better people that my ability grew.

That was a gaining of knowledge and apply that straight into practice. My philosophy is, if the game isn't for money, it's practice.

Last edited:

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such a loaded question. It's many things.

You have to seek the knowledge.

You need to put in the practice.

Discipline.

Develop mastery, that is a knowing of you can do this shot, the whole shot w the leave.

Above all else is a passion for the game.

Each one of those has multiple facets.

Where you limit yourself is when you skip or don't do enough of one of those.

I put in tons of practice when I got back into pool about ten years ago or more. Got much, much better. But it wasnt until I consistently played better people that my ability grew.

That was a gaining of knowledge and apply that straight into practice. My philosophy is, if the game isn't for money, it's practice.
Might just be the best possible answer!

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
Once you get to a certain level of proficiency at the mechanical aspect of the game; to advance any further you have to learn to play under pressure. Playing in tournaments or playing for stakes will help in this.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most players are not able to figure out their own weaknesses. They will get better faster with some help.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your poll makes it seem like an either/or type of thing. In reality, playing better pool is a combination of many facets.

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Most players are not able to figure out their own weaknesses. They will get better faster with some help.

Bingo! We have a winner, in my opinion. Why isn't this one of the optional answers!!??

Knels

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lighter grip=More accurate follow through

Honestly tid bits like these are guiding my game. I move from one to the other, they come from books, players, instructors, lesser ranked players (excellent overlooked source of info). The one above came from a snooker manual. It's got me currently on a 6 match win streak

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:slap:

Well you need to decide whether you want to be a once a week player playing in APA ---

Or do you want to be a real player and spend hours a day perfecting the game.

One thing that will make everyone a better playing is to stop missing close and-----

and just put the ball in the hole.

:thumbup: