tilt head or parallel head

medallio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered kranicki book. Someone in the review said if you’re the type of player who can make shots well but occasionally miss a shot you shouldn’t by s good margin, then this is the book to get. Fits me to a “t”

paultex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had some fun reading Kranicki's book again yesterday to see what I might glean or better define. Here are some takeaways. What do you think?

It is hard on hits thinner than half-ball to bring the vision center over the cue ball and instinctual aim or an aim system compensates for sighting on concealed targets, as on the far side of the cue ball (I agree)

It may be helpful to triangulate the cue ball’s bottom, center of mass and the “apparent” absolute top, as the top moves in perception in the full stance, to align center cue ball (this may sound like overkill, but it is extraordinary how many students swear their cue tip is pointed at dead center when it isn’t)

A ball’s equator tends to be lower on a ball than perception tells you when in the full stance, so the contact point needs adjustment (I agree, for most students)

The equator tends to bend into a smiley face shape when in the full stance (I can see that, weaker players tend to cut balls too thinly as one consequence--better players who miss tend to miss too full)

For right-handers, Kranicki suggests pivoting the right foot at a given angle can bring vision center over the shot line so find a personal foot angle, so the head responds to the turning torso without straining the neck to sight the shot, and he also further recommends sticking the left foot out straight, parallel to the shot line (I know some players do these two moves and they work for them)

Moving the head laterally while assuming the stance leads to an aiming disaster (I agree beyond the SLIGHT natural lateral movement that comes with moving the torso vertically--Kranicki's point implies placing the head on line first, then lowering it straight down or nearly so while assuming the stance--certainly what many pros tend to do--amateurs do very strange things instead, like lay the stick near-flat on the cloth than wrap head and body around it awkwardly)

With all due respect, you didn't say much at all to form a opinion on what one should think.

How about separating eyes on given shot relationships to achieve different effects? So with that being said, I can pose a question to you and that is, is your statements based on a certain level of play or what is possible for maximum expectation?

The only thing I found interesting was your claim of miss bias of thick or thin vs pro or amateur. I find it interesting because I don't see why it should be a contention of fact when it comes to reality unless it's a matter of statistics.

A quarter of the planet believes in a bearded god in the sky and that doesn't make it any more real than what is actually relative in reality. If a pro is missing thin on the incorrect side of the standard mean, is he or she missing incorrectly? A miss is a miss and what you're saying is relevant but I don't see how its constructive. The constructive point would be to say that the misses coincide with a particular side of the table and shot angle because I seriously doubt its a matter of consistent "thick" no matter what. Not on average, it can't be for amateurs and that's for sure and I digress pros as well but I can understand a desparity between the two because the pro is more aware and the miss bias skewed to one side is a constructive miss based on trying to fix a known problem aware to them.

This book from what I see in this thread is interesting and does touch on a subject of extreme importance but I don't know if it's a solve book but it certainly looks like one that can take a person toward solve if they sincerely try now that they got some awareness of fact. The eyes in conjunction with delivery is not discussed nearly enough.

Thanks. Just my opinions.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Good thoughts and food for insight. I did give my opinion of each Kranicki point as I understood them, and also asked "what do you think?" so I'm not sure what you meant by 'I didn't say much to allow the formation of opinions".

I didn't say pros miss thick--they don't miss too often, do they? I said weaker players overcut and stronger players tend to miss hits more thickly. This is not a random belief but the result of observations thousands of amateur players and coaching hundreds of students personally.

I'm not sure what you mean by "separating eyes". Do you mean moving the head off vision center aka line of sight per shot requirements? Not trying to argue with you, just seeking clarification. I personally advocate setting the head where you need it while standing erect--or nearly so--and then lowering the head vertically into the stance with little horizontal movement--exactly as Kranicki suggests.

PS. Who told you God has a beard? And who told you 25% of people believe in God? I find the number approaches 95-98% depending on how you count. :)

I try not to broach religion on the forums but since you raised the issue--you shouldn't believe in sky gods because others believe, correct. So I trust Jesus Christ from two perspectives: the inescapable logic of the Bible and its proofs in fulfilled prophecy, and the fact that man cannot make utopia on his own, and needs the transformation provided by Christ's death and resurrection to have hope of moral perfection and to be a citizen of Heaven. :)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Regardless of aiming method (not sure about CTE though), this is how your eyes and brain work together. The setup on the left shows a 1/2 ball shot, as illustrated by the green arrow. The black dot is ghost ball and the red dots are contact points/patches.

Standing with your nose behind the CB gives your brain a couple of 2D images from two different perspectives, which allows it to create the perception of a makeshift 3D view. Does the Kranicki book go into detail about the effects of eye dominance on this perception making process?

picture.php

westlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks i will test and try all of this..looking for improvment..by the way is it good or require to use both eyes when aiming or sighting when im d0wn on the shot..converges left and right eye work together or just use 1eye d d0minant ang ignore what the other eye see..if you search on youtube and find the vision theraphy bates method..both eyes use

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
The Kranicki book details answers to both your questions re: eye dominance and one dominant eye with the head turned to shield the non-dominant eye from taking over (completely).

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
The Kranicki book details answers to both your questions re: eye dominance and one dominant eye with the head turned to shield the non-dominant eye from taking over (completely).

Cool. I'll order the book. Knowledge is power.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
Thought of another interesting "perspective" this afternoon.

Stand on a street corner or in a large room and align yourself with a nearby and a distant object (or just align a cut shot in the pool stance). If you rotate your head you will tend to see the same perspective throughout rotation (your eyes tend to swivel in your head and your dominant eye, if you have one, tends to balance with your non-dominant eye and etc.) Only if you are disciplined enough to move your eyes to point with your nose will the apparent alignment of the objects shift.

If you move your head laterally, however, even slightly, things really "move" in your vision. Therefore, if you use the same stance for all easy-to-reach shots (such as stick on shot line, torso and trunk 35 degrees to the shot line and so on), you must keep your line of sight aka vision center consistently over the line too, or straight shots will look like cuts and vice versa!

westlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i mean brock string method like sighting like barrle fucosing front sight...my mistake not bates method

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
as for the chin in the center not necessarily meaning equal eyes
this is from kanicki's book
and a reason some people nave trouble finding center cue ball and "seeing" straight
strong left eye
View attachment 474045

I ordered kranicki book. Someone in the review said if you’re the type of player who can make shots well but occasionally miss a shot you shouldn’t by s good margin, then this is the book to get. Fits me to a “t”
What book? Lol I was searching google over and over for kanicki then i tried kranicki and found Richard Kranicki
Answers to a Pool Player's Prayers, is that the book?

precisepotting

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just browse through the thread.

Someone advocate not having the cue immediately below the chin which is contrary to what snooker players believed in. Look at Steve Davis.

I personally do not believe in the exact location where the cue is below the head. There are no two distinct aiming points on the cue stick for you to aim with unlike a rifle. To me, that boils down to aiming with a gut feel.

In one of my thread in the Main forum, I asked how to aim with a cue at a point accurately. How to measure and know that you are bullseye each time you aimed at a point. If you can ascertain (using a laser for example) that you are aiming consistently with a particular stance, then maintain that stance for all your shots. You can then be certain you are spot on with your aim. If you cannot make the ball, then the error is down to two possible or a combination of both factors :
1. Aiming system or,
2. Not striking in the centre of the ball.

I believe if you look at it from this angle, your game will improve.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What book? Lol I was searching google over and over for kanicki then i tried kranicki and found Richard Kranicki
Answers to a Pool Player's Prayers, is that the book?

sorry for my typo
i corrected it
and yes that is the book

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
i mean brock string method like sighting like barrle fucosing front sight...my mistake not bates method

There is a reason I'm uncomfortable teaching "shoot pool like you sight on a rifle".

For rifle shooting over a distance without a scope, I get the front sight crisp in my vision and place the sight over a distant, blurry target. The reverse is true for pool shooting if you are "object ball last". You want to see the object ball target path clearly while (maybe) catching your cue ball and pool cue with your peripheral vision during the stroke.