Large Misc Lot of Billiard Books/Mags/Tapes For Sale

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have about 50 Books, 200 Magazines and Billiard News newspapers and 50 Accustat VHS tapes, and about 10 misc tapes from carom Corner, etc. Most of this is 80's and 90's. All of this is going to hit eBay as soon as I figure all of that out but I thought this might be a good place to give you guys a heads up and maybe field some offers for part or all of it. I sold a large amount of stuff to Bob Jewett many years ago so he can vouch for me. I uploaded the pictures to a Flicker page so hopefully you can see what is here.Thanks

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144945697@N06/sets/72157670582489166/

email me at logdog@neo.rr.com

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also have 3 ball ivory Billiard Ball set........2 whites and a red in a very old wooden box. Does anyone have a general idea of value?

Last edited:

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was told many years ago that these had a lot of value but I have no idea myself

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I also have 3 ball ivory Billiard Ball set........2 whites and a red in a very old wooden box. Does anyone have a general idea of value?
Back when such things were sold on Ebay, a good display set with box would go for about $300. For a while Ebay forbade the word "ivory" in listings so people used "elephant bone" or some nonsense instead.

There are increasing restrictions on ivory which in California includes even mammoth ivory and rhino horn. According to one source about the California law which went into effect last Friday:
Small exemptions will allow people to continue to sell any object more than 100 years old if it contains only 5 percent ivory by volume, and musical instruments such as pianos and violin bows if they contain less than 20 percent ivory and were built before 1975.​

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So basically I will be unable to sell these?

You can't legally sell them to anyone in California. I'm not sure about other states. There is a long thread currently about the law.

Edit: Here's the thread that wandered a little into gun control ... http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=430017

I have maybe 10 ivory billiard balls and I'm not sure what I should do with them at this point. I'm certain that all of them were made before the CITES restrictions, but that's irrelevant in California since they are 100% ivory.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What I have found most interesting so far is that nobody has expressed any interest in the magazines or the tapes. All the interest is in the books

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What I have found most interesting so far is that nobody has expressed any interest in the magazines or the tapes. All the interest is in the books

Yes, it is strange. The Lions and the Lambs and the Robin books are in the 100-300 dollar range usually. For the Fensch and the one pocket books you might try the For Sale forum.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here is a picture to give you a better idea of exactly what I have here. My father bought the billiard table about 75 years ago and it was an old used table then and these balls came with it. The balls weigh 643 grams in total

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144945697@N06/

Those appear to be an early set of composition balls with a box for ivories. The pictured balls have none of the cracking characteristic of ivory balls. The box itself is probably worth $100 or more. The balls are fairly uncommon and might get $100 themselves.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is disappointing. It seems odd they would sell them in a box that talks all about how to care for your ivory billiard balls in the lid of the box. Oh well........

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

One issue with the tapes is that fewer and fewer people have equipment that plays them. We had quite a large collection of Accu-Stat 3C videos at the senior center I play at and to make them more generally accessible we made back-ups on DVD to preserve our ability to watch them. And I don't think the physical Accu-Stat tapes are likely to ever become collectibles so their only value is in being able to be watched.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was hoping someone would say they would give me $200 for all 55 tapes and sell them all in one shot instead of having to sell them one at a time on eBay

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, the response from this group has been pretty lukewarm at best so I will be putting these items on eBay and let the world decide what they are worth. I was hoping to sell all in one lot to someone on here or at least a few groups such as books, magazines and tapes. So far I have only sold a few of the the books to people from this forum. Thanks for the input I did receive

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
Private message me with what you have left and what price you want. Interested mainly in some of the three cushion books and the carom corner tapes. I have most of your collection but might be able to give/sell the duplicates to local players. Thanks.

Logdog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have all three of the Eddie Robin books........3 Cushion position play, Shots Moves and Strategy and The Winning One pocket in Like new condition. Can anyone give me the value of each individual book? I have someone wanting to buy these three specifically. Thanks