Where to Play in NYC?

grc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've just recently been getting into 3C and have really enjoyed the game. I'd love to practice more but it's pretty hard finding a table here in NYC.

I've been traveling to Carom Cafe, which is a great location, but would like to find a table somewhere closer to Brooklyn/Manhattan if possible.

I've found this list from Billiard Atlas, but it seems out of date as the majority of those rooms are no longer around, and this list from 3CushionBilliards.com which only lists Carom Cafe as the only place to play in the 5 boroughs.

Any suggestions? Surely there's a table or two to be found in Koreatown or hidden away in Long Island City? Thanks.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Yes there's bound to be more rooms there's other than the Carom cafe , if your on facebook Bert's group can help you, and perhaps Merril Hughes knows as well

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've just recently been getting into 3C and have really enjoyed the game. I'd love to practice more but it's pretty hard finding a table here in NYC.

I've been traveling to Carom Cafe, which is a great location, but would like to find a table somewhere closer to Brooklyn/Manhattan if possible.

I've found this list from Billiard Atlas, but it seems out of date as the majority of those rooms are no longer around, and this list from 3CushionBilliards.com which only lists Carom Cafe as the only place to play in the 5 boroughs.

Any suggestions? Surely there's a table or two to be found in Koreatown or hidden away in Long Island City? Thanks.

This isn't in your target area, but not that far away is Bayshore Billiards, which I have been to and can recommend. They have 4 nice tables, and a nice group of 3C payers, including the aforementioned Merril Hughes. (treasurer of the usba). I was made to feel very welcome there when I visited a couple of summers ago.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

The trouble with Korean or Vietnamese rooms is they tend to have nine-footers....
...with slower cloth....they tend to play four-ball.

We have a room here owned by a South Korean amateur champ....
...so I go there when I'm jonesing for 3-C....
...but the traffic patterns are brutal....and don't prepare you for a ten-footer.

KissedOut would go bathsalt-zombie on a nine-foot.....:eek:

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a hidden downstairs place called Astoria Billiards on 30th Ave, not far from Steinway. They have 6 nicely kept 10' billiards tables and 2 10' snooker tables, in addition to a host of 9' Gold Crowns.

I've been there a couple of times and recommend it if you want to play some 3c and can't make it out to Carom Cafe. It's kind of a mom and pop place, so you may want to call ahead because the hours aren't advertised and last time they didn't open until 3pm on a Saturday.

I can't recall ever seeing a 3c table on the isle of Manhattan in recent years. If one exists, it's probably privately owned a la that guy in The Hustler.

p.s. In Ktown on 32nd St. there is a hall called Space that has several Korean billiards tables, however, they are of the aforementioned 9' size, and I'm not definite that they are heated.

Also, it it a hangout joint and the prices are outrageous, to say the least.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Merrill just responded with

Many....

Jackson Heights is the area, all three are on the same street, Roosevelt ave

Cafe Uno
Spin City
NY Cheviotte

Last edited:

grc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is really helpful everyone, thank you!

I'll definitely check out Astoria Billiards and the 3 rooms in Jackson Heights. These are at least a bit more accessible than going out to Flushing each time I want to play. Hopefully I can make it out to Bayshore Billiards once I'm up to speed.

And good to know about the 9' tables for Korean/Vietnamese games. Been to Space Billiards and while nice that it is (or was?) the only 24 hour pool hall in NYC, it's certainly not the ideal environment for advancing play.

albatross

cynical squared
Silver Member
I think the downstairs room in Astoria closed.
You have Spin City and Uno close to the 59th Street Bridge.

Last edited:

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is ONLY one place to play in NYC CAROM CAFE BILLIARDS on Linden Place in Queens just north of Northern BLVD......SANG LEE built it and Michael Kang runs it

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is ONLY one place to play in NYC CAROM CAFE BILLIARDS on Linden Place in Queens just north of Northern BLVD......SANG LEE built it and Michael Kang runs it

It is a great place, but why gratuitously diss the other places in NYC? Would it be a good thing if there was only one place to play in all of NYC?

I am sure the other NYC places with 3C tables appreciate your support.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
It is a great place, but why gratuitously diss the other places in NYC? Would it be a good thing if there was only one place to play in all of NYC?

I am sure the other NYC places with 3C tables appreciate your support.

cause thats how dd trolls :wink:

nkvilliecues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not saying there are not other places to play in NYC.......just that when i am unlucky enough to find myself in that place CAROM CAFE BILLIARDS is the only place you will find me

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am not saying there are not other places to play in NYC.......just that when i am unlucky enough to find myself in that place CAROM CAFE BILLIARDS is the only place you will find me

No, that is exactly what you said. It is the only place to play, not that it the only place YOU play.

Perhaps NYC thinks your presence there is just as unfortunate as you do, with that attitude.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
No, that is exactly what you said. It is the only place to play, not that it the only place YOU play.

Perhaps NYC thinks your presence there is just as unfortunate as you do, with that attitude.

You may not be able to tell but it was a sort of tounge and cheek saying

He did not literally mean it's the ONLY place in NY

he intended it as

The carom cafe is the koolest place to play
Like it's the most popular hang out so its the ONLY place to be

Danimal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Update

Here's the bad news: Astoria Billiard Club, which was a hidden gem, is no more.

Here's the good news: Steinway Billiards has recently installed a 3 cushion table where table #2 used to be.

Dnml<~~ Lead with the bad, end with the good.