Leather Wrap

Johnsms3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was sitting here going to bid on a pool cue on Ebay....Wife took one look at it and said: "It doesn't have a leather wrap." Get something else.

Man she knows me all too well, I got to have a leather wrap.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was sitting here going to bid on a pool cue on Ebay....Wife took one look at it and said: "It doesn't have a leather wrap." Get something else.

Ok.........???? If you allow your wife to pick your pool cue for ya you probably don't deserve one. Aside from that, you do know you can have a leather wrap added to any cue right??? This must be a joke post???

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I don't know what you were looking at, but if you get a car and you don't like the tires, change them. :wink:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cortland would be my #1.

Leather? Depends on the leather and the finish but I do dig leather.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the eBay cue was designed to be wrapless, she was probably correct. I could see cutting into a sneaky/conversion, but not a handle with a nice piece of wood.

To the other point of the OP, just over 4 years ago, I had recently told my wife that I was not going to buy any more pool cues (stupid, I know). Then one night, I called and told her that I found a cue that I had to have that cost $3K. I wasn’t so sure my key would work in the locks when I got home. But when she saw the cue, her only comments were “I have to admit, it is nice looking and it looks like something you would own.”

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If the eBay cue was designed to be wrapless, she was probably correct. I could see cutting into a sneaky/conversion, but not a handle with a nice piece of wood.

To the other point of the OP, just over 4 years ago, I had recently told my wife that I was not going to buy any more pool cues (stupid, I know). Then one night, I called and told her that I found a cue that I had to have that cost $3K. I wasn’t so sure my key would work in the locks when I got home. But when she saw the cue, her only comments were “I have to admit, it is nice looking and it looks like something you would own.”

How many times have i told my wife that I bought a new cue-NEVER and how many times have I told my wife that I SOLD a cue and HOW MUCH PROFIT I made-- EVERY TIME I sold one. LOL

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
Most of my good cues have the Cortland or Irish on them - but I do like "GOOD" leather too. I have a HTX with lizard that I just can't stand. Depends completely on what kind of leather. Couple new things I like too. (Predator Sport and Luxe leather wraps) But I also do like a good bar cue or SP, provided they're in good shape.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The cue's wrap doesn't matter as long as it's in good condition and change it if you don't care for it.

If you buy a cue because of the wrap it has or worse, don't buy it because of its wrap, you are nutso.

I look for cues that meet my requirements without having to change or add anything on the pool cue.

There is a world of cues out there awaiting you if you just invest the time & effort to search around.

All of my cues have either Cortland Linen #9 or elephant leather......that's my criteria for a cue wrap.

Johnsms3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I probably should of put this out on Twitter instead of here.

I didn't know everyone was so passionate about this subject.

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree with a leather wrap. I played with Linen like most folks and then tried a Lucasi with a leather wrap, which also has a slightly slimmer butt, and I was hooked. Everyone's different of course but it feels better in my hand than anything else I've tried.

sacman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just the fact that your wife suggested you buy anything is a positive. My wife wouldn't encourage me to have anything nice for myself - period.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of my cues (my player) came from the maker with leather wrap. I could feel the seam in one spot and it bugged me, I quickly had it replaced with linen. :thumbup:

That doesn't always work - if the leather was thicker than linen the linen will be too sunken in. I'm sure there is some way to get around it, but I know at least one cue-maker who will not replace thick (average) leather with thin linen.

On the other hand, if you are familiar with old Titlists, some of them had super-thick leather wraps, or the handle was cut even deeper at the ends of the leather. I sent such a cue to my cue-maker and he had to use TWO pieces of modern leather to re-wrap. I imagine it would be impossible to go leather to linen on an old Rambow.

Bottom line for me: I love either leather OR linen - just not wrapless.

Also, you have the most distracting signature line of all time!