Oscar Dominguez in UK tabloids, not good.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Completely taken out of context!

It is obviously misunderstood and he is the choir boy ?? of the group.

Kd

Sent from the mobile client - Forum Talker

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was in the booth when he said it and was shocked. I've never heard that phrase anywhere before and just didn't get it. Jimmy quickly apologized for Oscar but that wasn't enough to make anyone forget about it. Our producer and director were not happy to say the least. It was a poor choice of words by a very good guy.

Last edited:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What does that expression mean? I have never heard of it before.

Everybody is so damn sensitive this year in the social media platforms watching the Mosconi Cup.

The European viewers continue to ridicule Americans, making fun of us as of we're "B players" trying to keep up with the "big boys." That's what the EUropean commentators are saying too.

The Arab viewers have one thing on their mind: We want America to lose.

The Latino/Hispanic viewers are pulling for David Alcaide. Thank goodness somebody got to the commentators to explain how to pronounce his name. When he first came on, it sounded like they were calling him "al-Qaeda." "Al-Qaeda made a brilliant shot." :embarrassed2:

I have not read much of what the Asian viewers say, but they must be over the moon about the upcoming Efren Reyes Cup.

The Americans continue to pick apart every single thing the Europeans do. If Ralf takes too long to shoot, that should be a foul. Jayson's eagle mask may have not been a good choice since it an eagle represents America. Yeah, I get it: "Eagle Eyes" is his nickname. Americans were calling him wearing a pigeon mask. :grin:

And now we have the UK tabloids calling for Oscar's dismissal.

What happened to watching good pool? That's what I'm there for.

Oh, and one more thing. I'll join the rest of the unforgivingly critical railbirds and say that I am so sick and tired of those fist pumps. Give is a break.

As for Shane, poor guy. That will be a shot that he will never forget for the rest of his life. I'm still in shock, but, hey, it happens when you're in the heat of the battle. He's still one of my favorite players of all time and will continue to be. :cool:

MalibuMike

Banned
Oscar was joking and these Limey Rags are scum!

Oscar is a great guy and awesome father!
We went to the same Jesuit high school a Notre Dame!
The Limeys are trying to Shark him!
Go Oscar!

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Must mean like stealing or cheating. If was talking about sexually abusing people, he should be off the team.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Touch in pool = control

So if I say you have the touch of a feather it would be a compliment!

If I say you have the touch of an ax murder! It is a not a compliment!

I believe that the comment was regarding his poor speed control on the previous shot!

Not that Hatch is literally a !!!!!!! Or any endorsement of rape.

That is why it is a big misunderstanding and taken out of context!

Kd

8BallWonderland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I think that's what he meant but I still don't understand why he would think it's a good idea to basically tell your teammate he hit a terrible shot.
It's not very nice to put your teammate down after he screws up.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
You got to remember hatch is golden gloves and 100 pounds heavier! Oscar is not trying to piss off his teammates! Nor insult any one!

Kd

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
was watching the stream yesterday and the German commentators said something about his comments about "kraut"...
when did this happen?
if it did....OD might have stepped in it this time with his commentary ("the touch of...." and "kraut") and I would not be surprised if he has managed to uninvite himself from any future matchroom Event...

does anyone have the Video of the other alleged incident?

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was in the booth when he said it and was shocked. I've never heard that phrase anywhere before and just didn't get it. Jimmy quickly apologized for Oscar but that wasn't enough to make anyone forget about it. Our producer and director were not happy to say the least.

I've heard this one many times before, the first was back in bootcamp 20 years ago....

"Sweating like a rapist"
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sweating like a rapist

Looks like "touch of a rapist" has been used before, it does have an entrance into the urban dictionary from 2006.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Touch+of+a+rapist

Here is a YouTube video (2007) with the phrase in the title, showing a soccer player with a lead foot who overhits a pass to his team mate.

https://youtu.be/u2dl1X0JnVE

Live international TV wired for sound and in today's post-Weinstein, Polanski, Spacey climate...yes, Oscar could've chosen a different saying to be more couth. But he didn't, and I wouldn't treat it like an international incident. But that's being rational, and the UK tabloids are anything but rational.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Playful joke not a put down

While I agree with you as far as his intent more than likely being to say something 'playful' or 'funny', he was in a situation where pool hall type banter, and crude language were not appropriate.

Not the first time someone has opened their mouth and inserted their foot. Wont be the last. :sorry:

Mikkes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
was watching the stream yesterday and the German commentators said something about his comments about "kraut"...
when did this happen?
if it did....OD might have stepped in it this time with his commentary ("the touch of...." and "kraut") and I would not be surprised if he has managed to uninvite himself from any future matchroom Event...

does anyone have the Video of the other alleged incident?

When he played against Ralf he made a shot/safe and said "That´s enough for the Kraut", but did he really said "Kraut" and not "Crowd"...I don´t know.

The thing with the rapist is a bad joke you can make when you are playing with your freinds in the poolhall but not when you are on tv screen and a microphone on your shirt. That was not smart from Oscar.

Kimmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When he played against Ralf he made a shot/safe and said "That´s enough for the Kraut", but did he really said "Kraut" and not "Crowd"...I don´t know.

The thing with the rapist is a bad joke you can make when you are playing with your freinds in the poolhall but not when you are on tv screen and a microphone on your shirt. That was not smart from Oscar.

If he said Kraut...that's not good...and to Ralf of all People. You'd be hard to find more of a Gentleman Player in the pool-world than Ralf....what if someone called Oscar a spic...I doubt that would go down well with him, his Team or the audience...

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
If he said Kraut...that's not good...and to Ralf of all People. You'd be hard to find more of a Gentleman Player in the pool-world than Ralf....what if someone called Oscar a spic...I doubt that would go down well with him, his Team or the audience...

Oh the horror of it all

The fact that this even needs to be explained makes me extremely sad.

Do any of you know how hard it is to remember that you are mic'd up? If you do it every day, then yeah, it becomes much easier. Trust me, there have been many times in my work, where somebody says something inappropriate for being mic'd up and those people wear mic's WAY more often than once per year.

If this was said in the action room at derby, everybody would be laying of the floor laughing, not butt hurt and seeking counseling.
Jason