When did Predator move production to China?

TheDirtyBird

Registered
Just a quick question that I haven't been able to find anywhere. I know that Predator cues are manufactured in China, but when exactly did they move the production to China? What years were they made in the USA, and does anyone know what cue models were made in the USA? Thanks in advance

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I bougut American / Canadian made Predators until I think about '96 with a 5/16 X 14 joint.
I think they would have moved production of most products in early 2000's. 2000 - 2002?
I'm probably a little off but in the ball park. I'm sure someone knows for sure.

I had a brief conversation with them when I first learned about the move. I called and asked
straight up if they had moved to China. The person I spoke to told me they had to move,because
they were now a multi-national company service many countries and China would allow the
production potential to serve as many countries as they would need to, but they were still an
American company.
I still pursue Predators that I like. They're usually still a pretty good, high quality cue, IMO.

Last edited:

9ballhasbeen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know they make their REVO shafts in the Boston, MA area, not sure about the timeline, but I think it was in the 2000's.

TheDirtyBird

Registered
I've only been playing pool for just under 3 years. I've bought/sold/traded about 20 or 25 cues in that time just trying different ones out to see what I like the most. I always end up going back to Predator. I hear a lot of people talk badly about them because the are made in China, or because they are production cues, or that they are over priced, and other things. Some of the things said might be true, but in my opinion, they make a very good quality cue. I haven't found a shaft yet that works better for me than the Vantage shaft. Just my opinion though and, like ass holes, everyone has one.

TheDirtyBird

Registered
I was curious if there was really any noticeable changes in the quality of the cues since they moved their production over to China.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I was curious if there was really any noticeable changes in the quality of the cues since they moved their production over to China.

Back in the early days of Predator I believe the cues were manufactured in several
different places, one being Canada by Falcon cues. In the really early days they went by
a different name, though that name escapes me at the moment. Back when Falcon
was making them, early on they used a 5/16 X 14 joint. Since moving, I'm not exactly
sure when, they started using the Uniloc and some Radial joints, and I think they are
experimenting with the Bullet joint. The bullet shows up on the Predator economy cues,
-Poison cues.
I have a theory about Predators. That they are positioned in China inside of the Jian Ying
billiard company. I believe Jian Ying produces many different products under may different
name brands. I have purchased Jian Ying cues before that I thought were cool, unique,
and several months later the same design shows up in a Predator / Poison line of cues.

I never noticed much difference after the move, but some people thought the quality really
took a dive. The only difference that I ever really noticed was the change in pins.

Last edited:

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
The move was in 2008, iirc. It was when the US dollar tanked vs the Canadian dollar. Falcon was getting 70% of their business from Predator, as they were making the shafts and butts for Predator.

Regarding who makes their cues, it’s Taican woodworking, now known as Hamson International.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've only been playing pool for just under 3 years. I've bought/sold/traded about 20 or 25 cues in that time just trying different ones out to see what I like the most. I always end up going back to Predator. I hear a lot of people talk badly about them because the are made in China, or because they are production cues, or that they are over priced, and other things. Some of the things said might be true, but in my opinion, they make a very good quality cue. I haven't found a shaft yet that works better for me than the Vantage shaft. Just my opinion though and, like ass holes, everyone has one.

Not everyone has a vantage shaft:grin-square: