Re:TOI

puertorociii

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re:TOI

Just got my copy. Cant wait to out this in my small arsenal. Will keep everyone posted on the progress

Sent via Samsung hand held device.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361293606764.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361293606764.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 2,133

encore

Banned
My thoughts on it are that is was poorly made. I think he rushed it out as quick as possible when he noticed the interest on the board he created by discussing it.

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It´s kind of strange how we are seeing things so, so differently.
One of the best instructional vids out there imo, I like all 3 of his vids. Well we look for different things I guess and I got a lot good from it. Easy to understand, different task to master the TOI but so is pool in general imo.

It´s loads of fun though:thumbup:

Regards

Chrippa

encore

Banned
The system was pretty easy to figure out for myself, there is really not much to it. I just feel he did a lot of meaningless talk on it and not enough table time with the system. I am still unsure if he is saying the cue is parallel to the ctc/cte lines. I would like to have seen a few shots with a head on camera view. I personally don't feel you are paralleled to those lines.

Last edited:

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
I thought it was pretty well done. I got a ton of helpful info out of the TOI training. YMMV

cluelesscuer

I don't think I learned anything in this video in terms of technique. But to be fair, I am not sure there is really anything new to learn to use TOI system for anyone somewhat experienced in pool.

In the couple of times I have watched the video, I kept wanting to see more on WHY you want to use the TOI system. I think this what I want to know and I don't think CJ convinced me of the benefits of using the TOI system.

I don't understand his logic that people don't hit the cue ball in the center so they should try to use inside english on all their shots. His logic is flawed. I mean if I am unable to hit the cue ball exactly in the center than why would I be able to hit the cue ball with the proper amount of inside english? I mean, by CJ's logic, I would accidentally hit center ball when I am trying to hit inside. It doesn't make sense.

The logic that it limits the number of shots and makes it more simply for the player to play doesn't make sense to me either. You could use the same logic for using center ball. That is, if it were true, which I don't think it is. You can't use center ball on all your shots to be a proficient player. Nor, to me at least, can you only use inside english on all your shots to be a proficient player.

The only thing I could potential see being advantageous to this system, is that it helps slow down the cue ball on a lot of shots after hits the rail. This could help with cue ball control. Though, I still think it limits your arsenal in not using outside english ever or just more center ball.

The fact he is saying to use TOI on break shots, an extreme cut shot where the balls are right next to each other, and soon a banking video makes it seem like he is forcing this concept into a supposed system. It makes me wonder about the legitimacy of the whole concept.

Professional pool players don't make $ playing pool. And I wonder if this is something CJ has come up with to make some $. I am not sure that is true, but it needs to be a concern and something for everyone to ponder.

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I don't think I learned anything in this video in terms of technique. But to be fair, I am not sure there is really anything new to learn to use TOI system for anyone somewhat experienced in pool.

In the couple of times I have watched the video, I kept wanting to see more on WHY you want to use the TOI system. I think this what I want to know and I don't think CJ convinced me of the benefits of using the TOI system.

I don't understand his logic that people don't hit the cue ball in the center so they should try to use inside english on all their shots. His logic is flawed. I mean if I am unable to hit the cue ball exactly in the center than why would I be able to hit the cue ball with the proper amount of inside english? I mean, by CJ's logic, I would accidentally hit center ball when I am trying to hit inside. It doesn't make sense.

The logic that it limits the number of shots and makes it more simply for the player to play doesn't make sense to me either. You could use the same logic for using center ball. That is, if it were true, which I don't think it is. You can't use center ball on all your shots to be a proficient player. Nor, to me at least, can you only use inside english on all your shots to be a proficient player.

The only thing I could potential see being advantageous to this system, is that it helps slow down the cue ball on a lot of shots after hits the rail. This could help with cue ball control. Though, I still think it limits your arsenal in not using outside english ever or just more center ball.

The fact he is saying to use TOI on break shots, an extreme cut shot where the balls are right next to each other, and soon a banking video makes it seem like he is forcing this concept into a supposed system. It makes me wonder about the legitimacy of the whole concept.

Professional pool players don't make $ playing pool. And I wonder if this is something CJ has come up with to make some $. I am not sure that is true, but it needs to be a concern and something for everyone to ponder.

I'll address a couple of points. The concept of hitting to the "inside" of the ball is this......and I'll use an example:

If you have a cut shot to the left, you "aim" or "line-up" to pocket the OB into the right portion of the pocket. Effectively cheating the pocket a little bit. Think of it as "undercutting it" or "hitting it thick". When you do that you're lining up parallel to the center of the CB......using a slight touch of left.

Now, with experience and practice using YOUR tip on YOUR shaft with YOUR cue, you can step into a shot feeling how much TOI you need to pocket it. So, when you line up for that "undercut" to the right side of the pocket and you hit it perfectly, the CB will deflect the OB slightly to the left, which is the dead center of the pocket.

If you "accidently" strike the CB with a bit too much TOI to the left, you'll deflect it even further into the left side of the pocket. So, you've overcut it a bit. And you'll see that. Always truly study where the OB physically goes in the pocket, btw. It'll allow you to make subtle adjustments for future shots.

If you "accidently" strike the CB with "not enough" TOI.....as in closer to the center of the CB that you intended, whether it be thru simply not contacting where you're aiming or you didn't calculate or "feel" that much TOI was needed (and it indeed was needed)......the OB won't be deflected as much and it will go into the right side of the pocket. Which is where you lined it up to go to begin with.

It almost sounds like "black magic", if you over think it. But, here's a couple of nice benefits to this method. One, and CJ says it's just a side benefit, hitting the CB with TOI transfers a little bit of spin to the OB that aids in pocketing it. Some call it "pocket acceptance spin". I'd almost have to be at a table to show you. But, you'd understand pretty quickly, if you already don't. On that cut to the left in the example above, the OB has a slight bit of left on it. So, if it contacts the rail on the way in and hits the opposite pocket facing, that little touch of left, spins it off the facing and into the pocket. I hope that I'm explaining that correctly. It's easier shown than typed.

Also, it's a huge relief to KNOW which side of the CB you're striking. I was always worried when I HAD to hit center CB. I tried to be sooooo precise. And now that tension is gone. I know which side of the CB I'm going to hit and it allows me to focus deeper on zoning out. Mental stress is greatly reduced for me.

As for outside English, you do all of the above, but when you step in parallel to the of the CB to that touch of inside, THEN you can swivel your tip BACK to the center. You've just effectively given the CB backhand English. And you'd be WAY surprised as to how much English you can get out of this. I actually had a shot come up like this last week and I remember distinctly thinking that I need to swivel back to center to come off the cushion with some outside. I was astonished at how much "outside English" that technique gave me. I still ended up oooook on that shot, but I swiveled just a hair too far, honestly. Hey, I'm still learning. But, I know I smiled when it happened and thought, "Dang, you can still really get some outside with this method."

Getting down to brass tacks......since me and my road buddy have started using TOI, just about 3 months ago, he's won 4 league tourneys.....and he'd never won any before. And I just won my first one last week. We're consistently placing higher than pre-TOI and both in the running for Player of the Year in our division (I think he's gonna win, but our goal was to finish 1-2 and we have a good chance of that occurring). We're both "B" division players in our league and have been informed we have to move up a level at the end of this year. But, my buddy and I have both agreed to sign up and play 2 levels higher next year for the added pressure. We're both starting to beat "A" division and even "Master" division players more regularly. Sometimes even completely outrunning the handicap.

There's always something to be learned in this game. That's why it's the greatest game on Earth. TOI has helped me more than anything that I can remember, not to mention in a very short amount of time.

And at the 3 month mark, I think it's safe to say that we're past the "placebo effect".

Chrippa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll address a couple of points. The concept of hitting to the "inside" of the ball is this......and I'll use an example:

If you have a cut shot to the left, you "aim" or "line-up" to pocket the OB into the right portion of the pocket. Effectively cheating the pocket a little bit. Think of it as "undercutting it" or "hitting it thick". When you do that you're lining up parallel to the center of the CB......using a slight touch of left.

Now, with experience and practice using YOUR tip on YOUR shaft with YOUR cue, you can step into a shot feeling how much TOI you need to pocket it. So, when you line up for that "undercut" to the right side of the pocket and you hit it perfectly, the CB will deflect the OB slightly to the left, which is the dead center of the pocket.

If you "accidently" strike the CB with a bit too much TOI to the left, you'll deflect it even further into the left side of the pocket. So, you've overcut it a bit. And you'll see that. Always truly study where the OB physically goes in the pocket, btw. It'll allow you to make subtle adjustments for future shots.

If you "accidently" strike the CB with "not enough" TOI.....as in closer to the center of the CB that you intended, whether it be thru simply not contacting where you're aiming or you didn't calculate or "feel" that much TOI was needed (and it indeed was needed)......the OB won't be deflected as much and it will go into the right side of the pocket. Which is where you lined it up to go to begin with.

It almost sounds like "black magic", if you over think it. But, here's a couple of nice benefits to this method. One, and CJ says it's just a side benefit, hitting the CB with TOI transfers a little bit of spin to the OB that aids in pocketing it. Some call it "pocket acceptance spin". I'd almost have to be at a table to show you. But, you'd understand pretty quickly, if you already don't. On that cut to the left in the example above, the OB has a slight bit of left on it. So, if it contacts the rail on the way in and hits the opposite pocket facing, that little touch of left, spins it off the facing and into the pocket. I hope that I'm explaining that correctly. It's easier shown than typed.

Also, it's a huge relief to KNOW which side of the CB you're striking. I was always worried when I HAD to hit center CB. I tried to be sooooo precise. And now that tension is gone. I know which side of the CB I'm going to hit and it allows me to focus deeper on zoning out. Mental stress is greatly reduced for me.

As for outside English, you do all of the above, but when you step in parallel to the of the CB to that touch of inside, THEN you can swivel your tip BACK to the center. You've just effectively given the CB backhand English. And you'd be WAY surprised as to how much English you can get out of this. I actually had a shot come up like this last week and I remember distinctly thinking that I need to swivel back to center to come off the cushion with some outside. I was astonished at how much "outside English" that technique gave me. I still ended up oooook on that shot, but I swiveled just a hair too far, honestly. Hey, I'm still learning. But, I know I smiled when it happened and thought, "Dang, you can still really get some outside with this method."

Getting down to brass tacks......since me and my road buddy have started using TOI, just about 3 months ago, he's won 4 league tourneys.....and he'd never won any before. And I just won my first one last week. We're consistently placing higher than pre-TOI and both in the running for Player of the Year in our division (I think he's gonna win, but our goal was to finish 1-2 and we have a good chance of that occurring). We're both "B" division players in our league and have been informed we have to move up a level at the end of this year. But, my buddy and I have both agreed to sign up and play 2 levels higher next year for the added pressure. We're both starting to beat "A" division and even "Master" division players more regularly. Sometimes even completely outrunning the handicap.

There's always something to be learned in this game. That's why it's the greatest game on Earth. TOI has helped me more than anything that I can remember, not to mention in a very short amount of time.

And at the 3 month mark, I think it's safe to say that we're past the "placebo effect".

Thanks for the post, I´m happy it working out for you and your bud so well:smile:!
I think your explanations sums it up good. TOI has a lot of benefits imo, it bridge some knowledge together sort of speak. The mental side of it is very strong since it gives you a more confident, a more easy to find the game again "feel" to it. To play good, when you are in the zone is quite easy for most - you just play but to find the zone is a different thing. TOI makes this easier imo.
Other benefits than 3 part pocket system etc would be "holding" the cb better, truer rebound angles, easier to visualize the connection/aim, new paths etc.
One thing that I really feel is so strong is the pivot part also, always played with "parallel aim" before but know when using pivot I really feel that I can be so exact on the rebound angle even when I´m not in the zone if that makes sense.
Then you have all of the mental aspect, the mindset when approaching a shot, - it´s a shot - not easy, not hard - it´s a shot. Btw - you can pick up tons of info from CJ´s explanations, it´s a tough thing to explain a feel, what exactly you do but CJ is doing very well imo, he´s been in "bootcamp" for sure:smile:.
The best way for me to look at it is to see the "big picture", not "snowing in" on a specific word, phrase.
To make TOI work for me it has been a very fun and rewarding journey, still on it of course but now I´m doing it more and more intuitive, feel it more. First it was a bit "robotic", still is from time to time but now I can be rather handy at it even being robotic:p. I had to commit to it though, and I "always" go down with the mindset of TOI, the pivoting - if needed get more and more fluid and is done on the way down instead of down. The more I play with it I use less and less pivoting but I still incorporate it because I need to train at it. I have to find my way of using it, can´t jump to CJ´s ability without walking the road imo.

I´m also using it for banks, kicks - works great and I´m very much looking forward to the DVD - will be fun to see if I have done things the same way CJ will explain it.

There is more to be said about it but this is some of my "road" experiences to learn this anyway. One thing to add maybe is that it has made my knowledge for the game I had before "sharper", more easy to find sort of speak.

Another thing I would suggest is that when you are trying to learn, practicing new stuff is to be patient, in training, incorporating new stuff - mentally and technically I don´t aspect my game to be my best for "stringing racks". I see my progress by looking at the finer stuff, if I miss a bit I´m more aware of why. Not labeling it in good or bad, learning has a curve. We didn´t start to run before we learned how to crawl. I have my goals setting in the fine-tuning of my game, be a better me, not beating someone else - that can be a nice side effect though:p.

Have a nice evening you all, I´m hitting the sack, in the middle of the night here in Sweden.

Regards

Chrippa

fathomblue

Rusty Shackleford
Silver Member
I just won again. That's back-to-back league tourneys this week. TOI was clickin' hard for me tonite. My confidence was thru the roof.

I rolled all the way to the winner's side finals and shot very, very well. I ran into a guy who's pretty underrated (much like I am now ) and he drilled me. I did make a couple of mistakes, but he's extremely smooth and can run out like water. I didn't get many rolls at all, if any. He got me 6-1.

I nutted up and laid waste to my next opponent to win the loser's side.

Then I switched tactics a bit and played a bit more defense against the guy who had beaten me earlier for an extremely hard-fought double-dip victory that went hill-hill in the final set.

He's a great player to share the table with, and I consider it one of the best victories in my career.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Read This Post For More Explanation:

You must not have watched the video very closely, at no time do I suggest putting "inside english on everything," that would be destructive.

If you still don't understand how I align, compared to how I hit the center of the pocket it will be useful to read this again more carefully. The "shot line" is to the inside of the pocket, but the deflection forces the object ball to the center. The Body/Visual Alignment is either center/center or center/edge, and this is the reference that you use to create all other angles. When I start getting more advanced in my TOI description you will have to know these basics or the rest will make less sense.

Read This Post For More Explanation:

I really want to communicate what everyone needs to understand the TOI Playing System, and it's challenging without seeing how an individual plays and addresses the cue ball. Everyone has their personal idiosyncrasies it seems, and this makes it even more important to explain in different ways.

One thing I notice often is a slight pivot to the inside, rather than a parallel shift. This will cause you to undercut the object ball unless you're trying to hit a "contact point" (from past habit), and in this case you are likely to over cut shots. I'm experienced from judging players levels for so many years {to figure out how much I could "spot them"} I can see these subtle shifts.

No matter if you use TOI or not there's certain tip movements that are just made to correct a deeper flaw. I know these players will crumble under pressure, because they're using "feel," but in a way to overcompensate for an alignment issue (in many cases). What many players will discover is they were using a variation of TOI and compensating for it, just not in a way that gave them an advantage. Often, if what you thing is happening with the cue ball and what is actually happening are two separate things.

One thing using the TOI makes you do is understand how the cue ball is moving after contact, you are forcing it to move a particular way.....for sure!!! Sometimes if you are trying to hit center you may be deflecting the ball a consistent way and not "real eyes" it and compensating really well "most of the time," and then having times where you completely fall apart.

The reason I hesitate to get too technical about the "shot lines," and how they relate to the Center/Center, or Center/Edge is because of the deflection. Personally I think more in "sight lines," than "cue lines," in other words I want my eyes parallel to the center (or edge) of the Object ball, and as long as my pivot is parallel I know I'm veering the cue ball OUTSIDE my visual line and over cutting the ball slightly more than how I"m aligned.

This is how I incorporate the '3 Part Pocket System', I'm aligning to the center of the pocket, and because the cue ball is deflecting slightly when I hit the center I know my "shot line" is aligned to the inside of the pocket. Think about it for a minute, if I'm hitting the center, and deflecting the ball, then I'm not "aiming" (unconsciously) at the center, It must be at the inside of the pocket.

When I force the cue ball too much outside the "shot line" I'll hit the OUTSIDE of the pocket. So, in effect there must be two lines when you're using deflection, one line reflects how you are set up, and the other is the line your cue ball course actually takes as it's deflecting away (outside) of the shot line.

So another way of looking at it is my visual shot line isn't straight, it veers outside of the cue line. Because there's feel involved in this I would suggest shooting balls for a solid hour (at least) and make sure you align your tip very square to the Touch of Inside point and accelerate on each shot. You should feel (it's too fast to see) the cue ball veering slightly outside the straight line of your cue (the cue must straight).

Calibrate the shot to hit the center of the pocket and if it doesn't, set it up and shoot it again. FEEL THE SHOT OVER CUTTING your "Cue Line" and you will start to experience the 3 Part Pocket System and the pockets will start "opening up". Of course the pockets don't get bigger, however, you will feel like they do as you maximize your margin of error by forcing the ball to cut into the center.

I am confident most people can utilize this system, it just takes concentrated practice for an hour or two a day (for app. 3 weeks). Working one on one I can teach this technique in 15 hours, and I will assure the TOI has lasting effects and lays a solid foundation for years to come. I am putting together a TOI Program now that will have a money back guarantee if not satisfied the TOI it will benefit your game positively.

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
I ahve been playing with this once it came out and it helps on a lot of shots , But not everyone.. I feel it may not be for everyone But me it works will .. Thanks Cj .... :)

Masirib5

Klaatu barada nikto
Silver Member
I'm taking my time. I watched the TOI PPV 3 times so far. I think it is an excellent production and CJ does a wonderful job of explaining everything needed in a most direct and pleasing way.

I'm going to review it a couple more times till I think I have absorbed it all then head to my home table to practice and get the touch down. I'm totally sure it is viable and I can execute what CJ is teaching. Seems straightforward. I really like to listen or read whatever CJ puts out there. He is one clear thinking guy with credentials and I look forward to more.

I'm happy I spent the money for sure and can't wait to get on the table and make it happen!

Thanks so much to CJ and Mary for making this great DVD.

--Jeff

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
as your TIP moves inside, your eyes will also shift slightly and create more cut

I'm taking my time. I watched the TOI PPV 3 times so far. I think it is an excellent production and CJ does a wonderful job of explaining everything needed in a most direct and pleasing way.

I'm going to review it a couple more times till I think I have absorbed it all then head to my home table to practice and get the touch down. I'm totally sure it is viable and I can execute what CJ is teaching. Seems straightforward. I really like to listen or read whatever CJ puts out there. He is one clear thinking guy with credentials and I look forward to more.

I'm happy I spent the money for sure and can't wait to get on the table and make it happen!

Thanks so much to CJ and Mary for making this great DVD.

--Jeff

Thanks, Jeff, once you "get it" the TOI makes the game open up, and it takes some time and constructive practice.

I've been teaching the TOI Technique a lot lately and the main thing that players have problems with is the Parallel Shift to the TOI Position....it MUST be done with the back hand leading or you will inadvertantly pivot and your cue won't be straight (resulting in undercutting your shots).

It's ok to just come down to your TOI spot right away without going to center first. I felt like that was the best way to teach it on video, so you use center as your reference point and just shift to the inside slightly. I can do it both ways, however, in my own game I come down DIRECTLY TO THE TOI POSITION. This may be the best for you, it just takes some experimentation.

One thing I must stress is when using TOI it's best to over cut the shots, not undercut them.....this is easy to adjust, however if you're undercutting it usually means you are pivoting to the inside and the deflection and visual perception is not working together to create the cue angle.

TOI is not just about deflection to create the angles, it's about the perception of your eyes too - as your TIP moves inside, your eyes will also shift slightly and create more cut even if there's no deflection.

Let me know if you need any guidance at thegameistheteacher@gmail.com

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Excellent explanation --- thanks. I understand it better now from you post than from the video.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
When you don't do this you will need to practice many more hours

I ahve been playing with this once it came out and it helps on a lot of shots , But not everyone.. I feel it may not be for everyone But me it works will .. Thanks Cj .... :)

You're welcome. I've taught the TOI Technique much more in the last few months and learned a great deal about teaching it. The process takes about 12-15 hours to teach, not primarily because the Touch of Inside is difficult, it's because so few players are hitting where they think they are on the cue ball. The TOI would just take half the time without the fundamental training, but it's essential no matter what "system" you use.

Try hitting the cue ball up and down the table without putting any spin on it. Then put a "Touch" of inside and make sure it comes back no more than a Diamond to that side, and see if you can do a half Diamond, then a quarter Diamond.

The biggest improvement always comes from improving cue ball contact, and that is effected by how your whole body is involved in the shot, starting at the FEET. The feet are the foundation and must be at the same angle and the same distance from the shot each time to give you the same performance.

When you don't do this you will need to practice many more hours than if you just stopped and worked on these fundamentals.'The Game is the Teacher'.com

cyork2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CJ said it best of course but one point he made is a point I've been told several times using different words... aiming at center ball gives you the chance to error to either side of center. Your resulting shot can then either be shot with inside or outside. On slow shots you might not notice but on a firm shot your cueing errors tend to be larger and the effects of deflection and such are more pronounced. The proper aim point for inside english vs outside english requires a different correction so it makes a lot of sense to pick one and make that correction rather than letting chance determine which side you actually hit it on and not making any correction.

I took my first CJ class and am still practicing my alignment so I haven't started TOI yet. However, as an instructor myself I know many lower skilled players favor outside english much more than inside. Some good books (Byrnes for example) even talk about using outside english to negate throw and make cut shots easier - which works but it can become a crutch that people try to use all the time. Simply taking an under-utilized technique and focusing time to improving it will elevate your game.

Craig

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's an "eye opening" experience to see what the cue ball does with TOI.

CJ said it best of course but one point he made is a point I've been told several times using different words... aiming at center ball gives you the chance to error to either side of center. Your resulting shot can then either be shot with inside or outside. On slow shots you might not notice but on a firm shot your cueing errors tend to be larger and the effects of deflection and such are more pronounced. The proper aim point for inside english vs outside english requires a different correction so it makes a lot of sense to pick one and make that correction rather than letting chance determine which side you actually hit it on and not making any correction.

I took my first CJ class and am still practicing my alignment so I haven't started TOI yet. However, as an instructor myself I know many lower skilled players favor outside english much more than inside. Some good books (Byrnes for example) even talk about using outside english to negate throw and make cut shots easier - which works but it can become a crutch that people try to use all the time. Simply taking an under-utilized technique and focusing time to improving it will elevate your game.

Craig

It's human nature to favor outside english and "throw" the ball in. Earl Stickland does this and he's had an incredible career. I suggest using the TOI for 3 straight hours to see how many new shots you will encounter. It's an "eye opening" experience to see what the cue ball does with TOI.

icucybe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just got my copy. Cant wait to out this in my small arsenal. Will keep everyone posted on the progress

Sent via Samsung hand held device.

What happend to puertorociii? He never came back to keep us posted on his progress.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
he now lives in a villa located somewhere near the south of France.

What happend to puertorociii? He never came back to keep us posted on his progress.

No one knows for sure. One story is he went on the road playing pool, accumulated a vast fortune - he now lives in a villa located somewhere near the south of France.