Valhalla or Players?

canadave

Bluenoser
Hi folks,

Well, I've decided to ditch my ebay crappy cue that I bought, and go in a different direction cue-wise. I've narrowed it down to two candidates, and I'd be interested to hear opinions if you guys have any. Before I go into detail here, let me just say that I know these are both "cheap cues", my budget is very limited (I'm just an amateur who plays often with a buddy, not a guy looking to hit the pro circuit), and I'm just looking for something I can use comfortably as "my own cue" rather than a crummy house cue. That said, I'd like something half-decent, obviously, not a department store cue :)

Basically, I'm looking at Valhalla and Players cues. My only criteria is that I'd like one that's wrapless.

I've narrowed it down to two candidates, I think: the Players G-2290, and the Valhalla VAL-004. Anyone have any thoughts on these two? One thing that gives me pause is the "Implex joint" on the Players cue; from what I've read, am I correct in supposing that this gives the cue a little more deflection and "bend"? I'm not keen on that idea, if that's true.

I've actually hit a little with my buddy's Valhalla VAL-010, and I liked how it felt very much, so I'm inclined to go with the VAL-004, but I'm intrigued by the look of the Players cue and I like the idea of having a Le Pro tip on there.

I live in a remote part of Canada, so I'd like to get this right if possible, since shipping costs out here are exorbitant.

Thanks for any opinions and assistance, folks!

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go with what you like. It all depends on your budget. What's your price range.

But I would recommend if you like the Valhalla cues is the Val-017. It's a nice full spliced with multi veneer sneaky pete would beat anything with transfers(sticker) graphics.

Last edited:

doubletrouble

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
player or valhalla

use a house cue or your crappy ebay cue and save your money for a viking or lucasi or ???

canadave

Bluenoser
thanks folks for the suggestions. Sorry, I should've specified budget--I'm looking at around $100 total, with just a little wiggle room. The problem is, with shipping costs, the bad Canadian dollar exchange rate, and 15% sales tax here, that means the cue itself can't be more than around $60 or so, maybe $80 or so tops.

I could easily save money for a Lucasi etc, but a pool cue isn't THAT important to me ;) I just want something a step (small step) above a house cue that I can call "my own", that is half-decent.

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you going to buy with a American online store. I think you would be better off to buy with a Canadian online store just to save on shipping and exchange but selection may not be as great. Your options are poor for what your are trying to budget for. You should look, even for a simple good cue at least 150 to 250 (tax and shipping included).

cuestore.ca
poolcuesexpress.com
www.thebilliardshop.com located in Nova Scotia

Nova Scotia contact point for info
http://csns.ca/
You might be able to get info regarding cue buying in the area.

canadave

Bluenoser
Thanks again. Just to clarify--when you mentioned that the Valhalla VAL-017 was superior to cues that had transfer (sticker) graphics, what specifically is superior about it? Is there some functional issue or durability issue with cues that have sticker graphics?

Also...other than the tip, what accounts for the difference people are saying in terms of a $150-250 cue versus a sub-$100 cue?

The reason I ask is that I emailed Viking today asking about their Valhalla cues. Basically, the cues range from $40 to $300 or more. I asked them whether, cosmetics aside, there was any practical difference between the cues in terms of things like tip, taper, joint, etc. Their rep got back to me and said this: "The Valhalla cues are our import line, and are mostly made by the same manufacturer (there are a few models made by a different vendor, but they all have the same tip, taper and joint pin with the exception of the ones listed with a different pin style). They have a medium leather tip (no brand name as they are not made here in the states). The cues are designed exactly the same and the tip taper and joint would be relatively the same for each of them as well."

So that makes me say, well, then, if they're mostly basically the same, why not just buy a $60 cue? I don't really care about graphics/cosmetics too much, as long as the cue shoots straight and has a good feel.

Last edited:

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks again. Just to clarify--when you mentioned that the Valhalla VAL-017 was superior to cues that had transfer (sticker) graphics, what specifically is superior about it? Is there some functional issue or durability issue with cues that have sticker graphics?

Also...other than the tip, what accounts for the difference people are saying in terms of a $150-250 cue versus a sub-$100 cue?

The reason I ask is that I emailed Viking today asking about their Valhalla cues. Basically, the cues range from $40 to $300 or more. I asked them whether, cosmetics aside, there was any practical difference between the cues in terms of things like tip, taper, joint, etc. Their rep got back to me and said this: "The Valhalla cues are our import line, and are mostly made by the same manufacturer (there are a few models made by a different vendor, but they all have the same tip, taper and joint pin with the exception of the ones listed with a different pin style). They have a medium leather tip (no brand name as they are not made here in the states). The cues are designed exactly the same and the tip taper and joint would be relatively the same for each of them as well."

So that makes me say, well, then, if they're mostly basically the same, why not just buy a $60 cue? I don't really care about graphics/cosmetics too much, as long as the cue shoots straight and has a good feel.

Yeah it's a little of my general and personal taste on that remark but it's also comes to long term questions regarding if you really like the cue and holding more it's value. Transfers from what I see don't give a cue anything in value even when paying in low cost cues but if I had the choice I would buy something with cool wood work over something with stickers if they are in the same price range.

60$ US plus shipping + exchange + brokerage + taxes when it enters the country. Your shipping will almost be as much as your cue.
Walking in somewhere and buying a 60 dollars cue then it not a big deal but when you are at the point of shipping it to were you live you might as well buy something with a little bit more value to justify the cost to the shipping but that my personal opinion on it.

Can a sub 100 cue do the job. Yes but the cost will not truly be sub 100's when your ordering from the states to a isolated location in Canada.

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

LHP5

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a Players cue, lifetime warranty can't be beat for the $100ish price tag. Covers warping which is a super plus.

canadave

Bluenoser
Get a Players cue, lifetime warranty can't be beat for the $100ish price tag. Covers warping which is a super plus.

Valhalla cues all feature a lifetime warranty that includes warping as well.

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I'm going to take a long drive into the city today, and see if I can "test hit" a few cues at the billiards store. I know for sure they have some Valhalla cues, and I'll see if they have some other ones in my price range.

canadave

Bluenoser
Well, I just got back from the billiards store. Empty-handed, I might add.

They didn't have any Valhallas for me to try, unfortunately (although that's okay, because I already hit with my buddy's VAL-010 a few times, and from what the Valhalla rep said, they should all be pretty similar). I did get my hands on a couple of Players cues. They're nice enough, although the ones this store had were out of my price range. To be honest, I didn't like the balance in my hands (has to be a personal thing, since l know others like them).

Actually, the cue I loved most was a cue by "Outlaw". The cue is gorgeous (in my eyes, anyway). Here's a video review of one:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/50274251

The balance on it when I held it in my hands was phenomenal. I didn't get to actually hit a ball with it, but in taking some experimental "air shots", it seemed to glide straight and true. The light leather grip was terrific.

The only issue that I saw: in gliding my fingertips over place where the ferrule meets the shaft, I could feel an ever-so-slight ridge. Nothing dramatic, and not visually noticeable, but it's present. On other cues, the ferrule was completely flush with the wood shaft--with my eyes closed, I wouldn't be able to tell where the wood/ferrule joint boundary was. I don't know if that is an indication of lesser quality on the Outlaw cue........?

The Outlaw cue would cost $130 plus shipping/tax. But I do have an Amazon gift certificate, and it's sold on Amazon, so I could get it for under my magic $100 figure. I'm just torn, because great though it felt in my hands, I don't really know the quality long-term; whereas with the Valhalla cue, I feel like I've got more of a "known quantity". But man...this Outlaw cue looks gorgeous :) I'm tempted!!

*** EDIT *** Head prevailed over heart. I just ordered the Valhalla VAL-004. I like the idea of a lifetime warranty against warpage and extremely prompt customer service (the Valhalla rep replied to my email questions within about 10 minutes). If anyone wants to get me a birthday present, though, feel free to send me that Outlaw cue ;)

Last edited:

shojingod

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you get your cue can you take photo's of it. I'm always interested in seeing cues up close that I have not seen before. I have not seen a Valhalla cue up close(that is not a catalog photo).