laminated tips

poQet trainer

hahahahahahahahahahahahah
Silver Member
I finally found a laminated tip I like, actually two. Most are over rated, including and

especially kamui blacks, they become real shiny and smooth and dont hold chalk, thats

why you need that gator grip or constant maintance. others are way way way overpriced (

they aren't expensive per say, but for what it is I think they are).

Ive tried them all, and recently I had two put on a couple of shafts bc they were priced fair,

and I love them both. THIS IS MOSTLY SUBJECTIVE, SO DON'T GET MAD. Emerald

tips, yup, the green one, I bought it bc it was green and cheap, and I love it for 9 ball,

10 ball and 8 ball, its medium hard, so to move around the table when a little extra is

needed feels great. the other is hirano, its 4 laminated pieces, but it feels like a single

solid piece of leather, great for finesse games, 14.1, one pocket.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Tips

Which tip someone uses is a personal and differs from person to person.
All tips glaze after time in less they are so soft that they fall apart.

There is a term called ( work harden ) and it applies to cue tips.
With out going into great detail, its when 2 surfaces come in contact under pressure it make each surface harder. This is the main reason tips glaze.............
Anytime someone hammers chalk into leather or pig skin it fill the pores with chalk and it will only hold so muck chalk, A little thought of what is happening as tip is being used explains why tips glaze and mushroom and get harder.

Normally I just remove a layer and the tip holds chalk again.
At the same time I don't really like thick tips and I normally cut one 1/4 of the tip off after installing it on my cue, or if a customer request a tip to be shaved down.

I have been using Kamui tips for years and I do not own a Gator grip tip tool.
I own a few lathes and sand paper, and have never felt the need for a gator grip tip tool.

Anything past this point is a personal opinion and would be fruitless to go into which tip is the best for someone besides ourselves.

CBW

Pool Hall Hero
Silver Member
Which tip someone uses is a personal and differs from person to person.
All tips glaze after time in less they are so soft that they fall apart.

There is a term called ( work harden ) and it applies to cue tips.
With out going into great detail, its when 2 surfaces come in contact under pressure it make each surface harder. This is the main reason tips glaze.............
Anytime someone hammers chalk into leather or pig skin it fill the pores with chalk and it will only hold so muck chalk, A little thought of what is happening as tip is being used explains why tips glaze and mushroom and get harder.

Normally I just remove a layer and the tip holds chalk again.
At the same time I don't really like thick tips and I normally cut one 1/4 of the tip off after installing it on my cue, or if a customer request a tip to be shaved down.

I have been using Kamui tips for years and I do not own a Gator grip tip tool.
I own a few lathes and sand paper, and have never felt the need for a gator grip tip tool.

Anything past this point is a personal opinion and would be fruitless to go into which tip is the best for someone besides ourselves.

What grade of sandpaper would be equivalent to a gator grip tip tool?