apa leagues

Big Pappa Pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, but there are six other bars that consume most of the local pool players its hard to find new players to start up teams

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Look to see what you have to offer that the other establishments don't have. You may have to try to entice a team from another venue to play out of your room.

I assume you have put up signs in your establishment. Don't you have enough casual/recreational players to at least field one team?

Kaiser Bob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A little incentive can go a long way. If you have some regulars that might be interested in the APA or know any of the other team captains you can offer them some free practice time and also have the tables on freeplay during league matches. Unless all the bars there open up the tables for APA yours being free would likely draw more people to play out of your bar after playing there the first time.

Crash

Pool Hall Owner
Silver Member
Develop inhouse teams is the best way to go, but you'll need to coordinate with the league operators. In my case I have eight teams on Tuesday that are all inhouse. I believe my operators have set a minimum of six teams for in-house league.

APA is very strong (188 teams) in North Alabama and I compete with a few small bar venues and four other halls with 10 or more tables, three with all Diamonds. The others and I have Valleys. I've not had any complaints about charging a $5.00 green fee per team and the other halls do the same during league.

mr.vmax

Tim's Cues And Supplies
Silver Member
Some places around here in the carolina's I've seen the room pay the new teams that moved over there apa dues for the season

mr.vmax

Tim's Cues And Supplies
Silver Member
Some places around here in the carolina's I've seen the room pay the new teams that moved over there apa dues for the first season

nbkvig2

Pool Hall Owner
We started off with an in-house team where all team members come in and play for free. One of our best selling point to APA is how clean and comfortable our establishment is.

The other thing is that when we designed our place, we kept in mind that we will need APA to bring in more customer base especially in the beginning so we put in 5 7 footer tables. All the other establishments in the area dedicate maybe 2 tables at the most for APA matches.

Last thing I can think of is to offer free play during your slow days or some sort of membership rate for APA players.

Hope that helps.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
we have a pool hall that offers free table time for 1 1/2 hours before league and 1 1/2 hours after league. he closes the tables at match time but he gives each team a roll of quarters yo help offset the table cost.

when a pool hall closed down that my travel money league was based at closed down i asked this room owner if i could move my team to his room. he asked what nights and i told him ...he said sure.

he not only gave us the free time he does for apa league he also paid our 100.00 yearly fee for the money league.

not suprisingly he is the busiest pool hall out of the 3 we have in town. sun nights are so popular we had more teams than tables available. the room owner offered 4 gold crowns along with the 8 valleys we had to play on.

this month he added 3 new diamond tables.

4onthebreak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Free stuff

While I don't care about free stuff I've heard from more then a few of my fellow APA players that they've left home bars "because they didn't give us anything". Tokens for free drinks, free bar t-shirts, and food specials come to mind.

How are your tables? Tip top shape? Compared to others in your area? Number of tables can matter but QUALITY can out rank quantity.